Nikon introduces the Digiscoping System - Fieldscope Digital SLR Camera Attachment FSA-L1, Fieldscope Digital Camera Bracket FSB-1, and Wide DS Fieldscope Eyepieces
October 19, 2004
Nikon Vision Co., Ltd., a subsidiary of Nikon Corporation, is proud to announce the release of several new Nikon Fieldscope accessories - Fieldscope Digital SLR Camera Attachment FSA-L1, Fieldscope Digital Camera Bracket FSB-1, and Wide DS Fieldscope Eyepieces.
With the spread of digital cameras in recent years, super-telephoto shooting using a combination of Nikon Fieldscope with digital camera has become increasingly popular among birdwatchers.
So popular, in fact, that it has led to many requests to Nikon for a Fieldscope accessory that enables shooting with digital SLR cameras. The newly released Digital SLR Camera Attachment FSA-L1 is our response. By using it to attach a Nikon D70 or D100 digital SLR camera to your Fieldscope, you can perform super-telephoto shooting with a focal length of 1,500mm (35mm-format equivalent, with Fieldscope ED82 series).
The Digital Camera Bracket FSB-1 allows you to connect the COOLPIX 5200/4200 digital camera and a Fieldscope for shooting photos. And our Wide DS Fieldscope Eyepieces make this connection even easier.
Nikon's Digiscoping System - using the above Fieldscope accessories with Fieldscopes and digital cameras - gives you the perfect combination for super-telephoto shooting during bird- or other nature watching.
Fieldscope Digital SLR Camera Attachment FSA-L1
Transform your Fieldscope into a 1,200mm* or 1,500mm* super-telephoto lens for Nikon digital SLR cameras and take spectacular closeup images.
- *35mm-format equivalent
- Allows use of the camera's Centre-Weighted and Spot metering systems
- Allows use of the camera's Aperture-Priority Auto and Manual exposure modes
- Attaches directly to the Fieldscope and the F mount on a Nikon D70, D100, D2H, D1X or D1H digital SLR camera
|Dimensions (without cap and screw)||Ø 62 x 143mm|
Fieldscope Digital Camera Bracket FSB-1
This bracket enables you to connect a Nikon Fieldscope to the COOLPIX 5200/4200 digital camera.
- *35mm-format equivalent
- For exclusive use with COOLPIX 5200/4200
- Easy attachment to camera
Mount by fastening screw in the camera's tripod socket.
With the new Wide DS eyepiece, a Digital Camera Attachment FSA-1, 2, 3 is not necessary.
- Camera battery can be changed even with bracket attached to the camera
- Comes with cable release and non-skid pad
|Dimensions (without screw)||100 (W) x 81 (D) x 74 (H) mm|
|Weight (without cable release)||155g|
Calculation of composite focal length
Composite focal length = magnification of eyepiece x 35mm equivalent focal length of COOLPIX digital camera
Calculation of composite F-number (theoretical value)
Composite F-number = magnification of eyepiece x focal length of COOLPIX digital camera' objective diameter of Fieldscope
Composite F-number and composite focal length in combination with COOLPIX 5200/4200
|Eyepiece||24x/30x Wide DS|
|Fieldscope||Composite focal length||Composite F-number|
|ED82/ED82 A||With zoom at widest-angle setting||1,140mm||2.9|
|With zoom at maximum telescopic setting||3,420mm||8.6|
|EDIII/EDIII A/III/III A||With zoom at widest-angle setting||912mm||3.1|
|With zoom at maximum telescopic setting||2,736mm||9.4|
|Eyepiece||40x/50x Wide DS||60x/75x Wide DS|
|Fieldscope||Composite focal length||Composite F-number||Composite focal length||Composite F-number|
|ED82/ED82 A||With zoom at widest-angle setting||1,900mm||4.8||2,850mm||7.1|
|With zoom at maximum telescopic setting||5,700mm||14.3||8,550mm||21.4|
|EDIII/EDIII A/III/III A||With zoom at widest-angle setting||1,520mm||5.2||2,280mm||7.8|
|With zoom at maximum telescopic setting||4,560mm||15.6||6,840mm||23.4|
- Although the theoretical F-number obtained using the above calculation exceeds the camera's F-number, the actual F-number will not.
- We recommend that you use a wide-angle setting for super-telephoto shooting when using a digital compact camera and the Fieldscope.
Also, because it may be difficult to obtain a focus when using the camera's AF function with super-telephoto shooting, we recommend that you take a series of pictures of the same subject.
Wide DS Fieldscope Eyepieces
Wide DS eyepieces make it easier than ever to use a Nikon Fieldscope with a COOLPIX digital camera.
- Offer easy attachment to COOLPIX digital cameras
With COOLPIX 5200/4200: Use FSB-1 bracket only.
With COOLPIX 4300/4500: Use Digital Camera Attachment FSA-3 and attachment ring*.
- Vignetting can be reduced by setting zoom to the wide-angle position**
- Rubber eyecup for eye observation is supplied
- *COOLPIX 900 series, 880, 885 and 5000 are attachable using FSA-3 attachment and appropriate attachment ring. For attachment ring compatibility, see the System Diagram.
- **Vignetting may occur with some COOLPIX cameras. (See the table at below.)
Wide DS Eyepiece Specifications
|24x/30x Wide DS||40x/50x Wide DS||60x/75x Wide DS|
|Magnification||With Fieldscope III/EDIII series||24x||40x||60x|
|With Fieldscope ED82 series||30x||50x||75x|
|Angular field of view (real)||With Fieldscope III/EDIII series||3°||1.8°||1.2°|
|With Fieldscope ED82 series||2.4°||1.4°||1°|
|Angular field of view (apparent)||72°||72°||72°|
|Field of view at 1,000m||With Fieldscope III/EDIII series||52m||31m||21m|
|With Fieldscope ED82 series||42m||24m||17m|
|Exit pupil||With Fieldscope III/EDIII series||2.5mm||1.5mm||1mm|
|With Fieldscope ED82 series||2.7mm||1.6mm||1.1mm|
|Relative brightness||With Fieldscope III/EDIII series||6.3||2.3||1|
|With Fieldscope ED82 series||7.3||2.6||1.2|
- These lenses cannot be attached to Fieldscope I series.
- For eye observation, use the rubber eyecup supplied.
- The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.