February 16, 2005
The professional digital SLR for action and sports,
featuring ultra-high speed, high image quality, and maximum efficiency
TOKYO – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of a professional digital SLR camera that delivers high speed, high precision, and improved handling for action photography: the Nikon D2Hs.
Since the launch of the D1 series and successful introduction of the Nikon DX Format in 1999, Nikon has been conducting extensive research into the needs of photographers in every field and discipline. This research, coupled with painstaking analysis of feedback from Nikon users worldwide, has led to a string of technological and design innovations for the Nikon DX Format aimed at enhancing system performance for the serious photographer.
Capable of shooting at 8 fps for a continuous burst of up to 50 images at 4.1 effective megapixels, the D2Hs inherits the best of its predecessors while also benefiting from new technologies and feedback from advances made in developing the recently announced D2X digital SLR for professionals. This impressive array of exclusive features deliver the speed, response, resolution and handling to establish the D2Hs as the professional's choice in photojournalism and sports photography.
The enhanced accuracy of digital processing in the ASIC provides smoother shading in gradual color changes, important for subjects, like a blue sky with very subtle tone changes within the blue range.
The D2Hs supports the sYCC color profile found in many of the latest printers. This means that the wider range of colors can be reproduced for printing JPEG data than the conventional sRGB color profile.
The D2Hs also adopts a combination of image-processing technologies and 3D-Color Matrix Metering II improved with new algorithms initially developed for the D2X, making it possible to capture beautiful images that will fulfill photographers' needs for action photos with rich detail, color and smooth tone range.
Class-leading performance features inherited from the D2H include instant start-up, an almost imperceptible shutter time lag of just 37ms, and an improved implementation of the 11-area autofocus system, all of which enable the user to concentrate on shooting without being distracted by the time-consuming process of obtaining the most suitable settings for the best possible result.
Improvements to the large 2.5-inch LCD monitor include higher resolution of 232,000 pixels and clear, flicker-free display of images and information. The Histogram display is improved, while new selectable RGB Histogram displays make color channel-specific exposure confirmation quick, easy and accurate. Other handy displays have also been added, including the World Time function and the chronological Recent Settings list.
As part of Nikon's Total Imaging System, the D2Hs is compatible with Nikon's growing family of digital-exclusive DX Nikkor lenses as well as the lineup of high-quality Nikkor AF lenses. When used with the SB-800 or SB-600 Speedlights, the D2Hs maximizes the potential of Nikon's Creative Lighting System with high precision flash performance, including i-TTL flash control and support for Nikon's Advanced Wireless Lighting system.
The D2Hs is compatible with the new IEEE802.11b/g Wireless Transmitter WT-2/2A, providing faster image transmission with improved security and compatibility with the latest protocols, as well as offering capability for wireless remote control of the D2Hs from a computer with Nikon Capture 4 version 4.2.1 (optional) software installed. Of course, support is also maintained for the Wireless Transmitter WT-1/1A developed for the D2H.
Another feature adopted from D2X development is support for GPS devices, which can be connected using the optional new MC-35 cable to include in the shooting data information such as latitude, longitude and altitude at the time of capture.
Bundled with the D2Hs is PictureProject, an easy-to-use software application for managing, editing and sharing image files. The D2Hs is also compatible with Nikon's own photo-finishing application Nikon Capture 4 version 4.2.1 (optional), a convenient tool for professional photographers. Nikon Capture 4 version 4.2.1 has been enhanced with faster processing, improvements to image processing functions, as well as several new functions.
The design of the camera's ergonomic styling is adopted from one created by famed industrial designer Giorgetto GIUGIARO* exclusively for a new generation of Nikon camera.
Nikon D2Hs Major Features
- LBCAST image sensor with 4.1 effective megapixels
- Nikon's exclusive DX Format JFET image sensor LBCAST (Lateral Buried Charge Accumulator and Sensing Transistor array) combines optimized resolution and speed to deliver image quality and high-speed performance.
- Advanced new image processing engine produces high quality images
- The new image processing engine adopts advances from the D2X to further improve image quality. Increased quantization precision when processing the data from the LBCAST sensor improves image quality to produce finer gradations with consistent and smooth transitions.
- High-speed continuous shooting at 8 fps for up to 50 consecutive shots
- The speed achieved by the LBCAST sensor and image processing makes it possible to shoot continuously at 8 frames per second for up to 50 consecutive JPEG or 40 RAW (NEF) shots. The increased speed of the buffer memory improves recording speed as well as the speed of writing files to CompactFlash™ (CF) memory cards.
- 3D-Color Matrix Metering II
- Refinements to the exposure metering system achieve higher precision in calculating optimum exposure from the data supplied from the 1,005-pixel RGB Exposure/Color Matrix Metering Sensor, even when shooting under challenging conditions.
- Precise white balance
- Advanced Auto White Balance (AWB) and Auto Tone Control (ATC) systems combine the advantages of three sensors – Nikon's 1,005-pixel RGB Exposure/Color Matrix Metering Sensor, the LBCAST image sensor, and the external Ambient Light Sensor – to effectively handle even complicated lighting conditions. Full manual white balance control options include white balance presets and the direct setting of Kelvin color temperature. In addition, white balance bracketing can also be performed using up to nine frames for a single shot.
- Faster, higher precision 11-area AF system
- Refinements to the system's AF and lens drive algorithms further improve focus precision, subject acquisition, and subject tracking. Nikon's advanced Multi-CAM 2000 AF Sensor Module features eleven widely spread AF sensors, of which nine are cross-type sensors, broad detection range and a selection of four flexible operating modes. The high precision and speed of the D2Hs's AF system also contributes to achieving high-speed continuous shooting.
- High-speed wireless data transfer and camera control
- The D2Hs is compatible with both the original Wireless Transmitter WT-1/1A that expanded photographic possibilities and with the optional Wireless Transmitter WT-2/2A, which supports IEEE 802.11g for faster transfer speeds as well as IEEE 802.11b networks. The WT-2/2A also strengthens wireless security options and supports a wider variety of network protocols, including the new PTP/IP protocol that realizes wireless Capture Control from a computer running Nikon Capture 4 (Ver. 4.2.1 or later).
- sYCC color space support
- Support for sYCC color space produces JPEG files that can fully exploit the output capabilities of the latest color printers and use a gamut wider than sRGB to achieve optimum print quality.
The D2Hs also continues to feature three available color modes, which are optimized by the advanced color reproduction system to best match the specific assignment and workflow environment. Color Modes I and III use the sRGB color space, while Color Mode II uses the wider gamut of the Adobe RGB color space.
- JPEG and RAW (NEF) combination filing system
- The option to simultaneously record RAW (NEF) and JPEG files to the CF card for the same shot makes it possible to streamline workflow operations. JPEG files can be used when faster transfer or delivery is the priority, while NEF format is a convenient option for high-quality applications that allows non-destructive editing and changes.
- GPS connectivity expands applications
- The latitude, longitude, altitude and UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) at which a shot is taken can be recorded from a GPS unit to the image's metadata. GPS units that comply with the NMEA 0183 (ver.2.01) interface standard can be connected using the optional GPS cable (MC-35).
- High-resolution 2.5" LCD
- A large new 2.5-inch LCD monitor with a higher resolution of 232,000 pixels adds an all-digital interface for clear, flicker-free display of images and information. Displays include preview images at up to 15x magnification, an improved histogram display, and new selectable RGB Histogram displays make exposure confirmation quick, easy and accurate for each of the Red, Green and Blue color channels, or for RGB.
- New World Time and Help menus improve operational ease
- The World Time menu makes it easy to select the local time from a world map displayed on the LCD monitor, a handy feature for globetrotting professionals. Also new is the chronological Recent Settings list, as well as available help dialogs that describe menu settings.
- Immediate response & ultra-short 37ms shutter lag
- Instant power-up and a class-leading shutter release time lag of a mere 37 milliseconds combines with optimized systems throughout to maximize all-round performance and deliver the response needed to handle even challenging professional assignments.
- Body design aimed at efficient handling, durability, and resistance to dust & water
- The D2Hs inherits the refinements made to the controls and buttons on the D2X for easier operation. The body design is optimized for handling efficiency and, along with the highly durable shutter unit, mirror balancer and other internal mechanisms, to stand the rigors of professional assignments while protecting against drops of water.
- Advanced lithium-ion battery system for more shots per charge
- Revised battery check algorithms help the high-energy EN-EL4 rechargeable lithium-ion battery to power the D2Hs for approx. 2,900 shots per charge. Accurate real-time battery system status displays include the remaining battery level, the number of shots taken since the last charge, the overall status of the battery's service life, and notification when calibration is necessary.
- Practical output interfaces
- The USB 2.0 (Hi-Speed) interface allows for fast transfer of images to a computer or external storage device. PictBridge support makes it possible to print directly to any compatible printer. And, the supplied Audio Video Cable allows for playback on external devices, including playback of recorded voice memos, which can each be up to 60 seconds in length. Voice memos can also be played back via the built-in speaker.
- Full integration with Nikon's Creative Lighting System
- Seamless operation with the SB-800 and SB-600 Speedlights takes full advantage of i-TTL flash control's advanced monitor pre-flash method, accurate measurement when using bounce and robust wireless operation to fully exploit features of the Creative Lighting System such as Advanced Wireless Lighting, Flash Value (FV) Lock, AUTO FP High-Speed Sync, and Flash Color Information Communication. The D2Hs is also compatible with the SB-80DX, SB-50DX, and other earlier Speedlights that use D-TTL flash control.
- Compatible with the extensive selection of DX Nikkor and AF Nikkor lenses
- The Nikon F lens mount assures unprecedented compatibility with the expanding family of digital dedicated DX Nikkor lenses as well as Nikon's comprehensive lineup of more than 50 different AF and AF-S Nikkor lenses, which feature high-performance technologies such as VR (Vibration Reduction) functions, Silent Wave Motors (SWM), and ED glass elements.
Long favored by professionals for their outstanding autofocus performance, superb color, high contrast and razor-sharp images, over 35 million Nikkor lenses have been sold to date.
- Supplied PictureProject software supports personal pleasure
- PictureProject's intuitive user interface provides fast and easy access to the basic image management, editing and sharing tools that add to the enjoyment of the digital photography experience. Features include automatic file import, drag-and-drop organization, design layout templates, CD/DVD burning, and plug-in filter support for feature set expansion, (with a RAW plug-in supplied).
- Nikon Capture 4 (Ver 4.2.1) for professional workflow support
- The optional Nikon Capture 4 (Ver.4.2.1) software package delivers a unique, powerful and expandable environment that provides full control over RAW (NEF) and the color-controlled workflow environment that professionals require. Version 4.2.1 incorporates outstanding new tools that further increase productivity and creative control, while it also improves the speed of data processing. Nikon Capture 4's Remote Camera Control function can control most shooting settings and trigger the camera's shutter release remotely, either connected via the USB 2.0 Hi-Speed interface, or using the optional Wireless Transmitter WT-2/2A. (PTP/IP wireless camera control requires Windows XP or Mac OS X.)
|Type of Camera||Lens-interchangeable digital SLR camera|
|Effective Pixels||4.1 million|
|Image Sensor||JFET image sensor LBCAST, 23.3 x 15.5mm size, 4.26 million total pixels|
|Recording Pixels||[L] 2,464 x 1,632-pixel / [M] 1,840 x 1,224-pixel|
|Sensitivity||ISO equivalency 200 to 1,600 (Hi-1 and Hi-2 available)|
|Storage System||NEF (12-bit RAW uncompressed or compressed RAW), Exif 2.21, DCF 2.0 and DPOF compliant
(uncompressed TIFF-RGB or compressed JPEG)
|Storage Media||CompactFlash™(CF) Card (Type I / II) and MicroDrive™|
|Shooting Modes||1) Single frame [S] mode: advances one frame for each shutter release
2) Continuous high shooting [CH] mode: 8 frames per second (fps) [up to 50 (JPEG) / 40 (RAW:NEF) consecutive shots]
3) Continuous low shooting [CL] mode: 1 to 7 fps (selectable from menus)
4) Self-timer mode: time duration can be set
5) Mirror up mode: first press: mirror up, second press: release
|White Balance||1) Auto (hybrid with 1,005-pixel CCD, LBCAST image sensor and external Ambience Light Sensor)
2) Manual (6 steps with fine tuning)
3) Preset (5 settings)
4) Color temperature setting in Kelvin (select from 31steps)
5) White Balance Bracketing (2 to 9 frames adjustable in 10, 20, 30 MIRED steps)
|LCD Monitor||2.5-in., 232,000-dot, low temp. polysilicon TFT LCD with white LED backlighting; digital interface; backlight/brightness adjustment available|
|Playback Function||1) Full frame, 2) Thumbnail (4/9 segments), 3) Zoom (up to 15x), 4) Slideshow, 5) RGB histogram display and Highlight point display|
|Delete Function||1) Card format, 2) All frames delete, 3) Selected frames delete|
|Video Output||NTSC or PAL (switchable in menu)|
|Interface||USB 2.0 (Hi-Speed) (Mini-B connector)
FTP file transfer available and PTP/IP with optional WT-2/2A (IEEE 802.11b/g) Wireless Transmitter; FTP file transfer compatibility with optional WT-1/1A (IEEE 802.11b) Wireless Transmitter
CF Card Slot Type II: supports firmware updates via CF cards
|Voice Memo||Record mode: Automatic or manual recording at shooting or playback, max. recording time: 60 seconds
Playback mode: Built-in speaker or Audio Video Cable
File format: Mono WAV file
|Text Input||Up to 36 characters of alphanumeric text input is available with LCD monitor and multi-selector; stored in Exif header|
|Usable Lenses||1) AF Nikkor (including AF-S, DX, VR and D-/G-type) : All functions possible
2) D-type Manual-Focus Nikkor: All functions except autofocus and some exposure modes available
3) AF Nikkor other than D-/G-type: All functions except 3D Color Matrix Metering II and 3D Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill-Flash possible
4) AI-P Nikkor: All functions except 3D Color Matrix Metering II, 3D Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill-Flash and AF possible
5) Non-CPU AI Nikkor : Usable in [A] or [M] mode with Matrix-Metering, Center-Weighted and Spot metering available.
Indication of aperture No., after user inputs the aperture f/No. and focal length f=mm by multi-selector operation. Electronic rangefinder usable with maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster
|Picture Angle||Approx. 1.5x focal length in 35mm  format equivalent|
|Viewfinder||Optical-type fixed eye-level pentaprism; Built-in diopter adjustment (-3 to +1m-1), Eyepiece shutter provided|
|Eyepoint||19.9mm (at -1.0 m-1)|
|Focusing Screen||BriteView Clear Matte Screen III ; Type-B equipped
Interchangeable with optional Type-E finder screen with grid
|Viewfinder Frame Coverage||Approx. 100%|
|Viewfinder Magnification||Approx. 0.86x with 50mm f/1.4 lens set to infinity and -1.0 m-1|
|Reflex Mirror||Automatic, instant-return type|
|Lens Aperture||Instant-return type, with Depth-of-field Preview Button|
|Autofocus||TTL phase detection, Nikon Multi-CAM2000 autofocus module;
Detection range: EV -1 to +19 (Right edge/Left edge AF range: EV o to +19) [at normal temperature (20ºC/68ºF), ISO 100 equivalent]
|Lens Servo||1) Single Servo AF [S], 2) Continuous Servo AF [C], 3) Manual focus [M]
Focus Tracking automatically activated by subject's status in [S] or [C] AF
|Focus Area||Selectable from 11 focus areas|
|AF Area Mode||1) Single Area AF, 2) Dynamic AF with Focus Tracking and Lock-on™, 3) Closest Subject Priority Dynamic AF, 4) Group Dynamic AF|
|Focus Lock||Focus locked by pressing AE/AF Lock button or lightly pressing shutter release button in [S] AF.|
|Exposure Metering System||TTL full-aperture exposure metering system;
1) D-/G-type Nikkor lenses support 3D Color Matrix Metering II using the 1,005-pixel CCD while other AF Nikkor lenses with built-in CPUs support Matrix Metering (Non-CPU lenses require manual input of lens data)
2) Center-Weighted Metering (75% of the meter's sensitivity concentrated on the 8mm dia. circle) given to 6, 10 or 13mm dia. circle in center of frame, or weighting based on average of entire frame
3) Spot Metering (3mm dia. circle, approx. 2% of entire frame); metering position can be linked to the focus area when using Nikkor lenses with built-in CPU
|Exposure Metering Range||1) 3D Color Matrix Metering II: EV 0 to 20
2) Center-Weighted Metering: EV 0 to 20
3) Spot Metering: EV 2 to 20
[at normal temperature (20°C / 68°F), ISO 100 equivalent, f/1.4 lens]
|Exposure Meter Coupling||CPU and AI (Automatic maximum aperture indexing)|
|Exposure Mode||1) [P] Programmed Auto (Flexible program possible)
2) [S] Shutter-Priority Auto
3) [A] Aperture-Priority Auto
4) [M] Manual
|Exposure Compensation||Exposure compensated in ±5.0 EV range in 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV steps|
|Auto Exposure Lock||Detected exposure value locked by pressing AE-L/AF-L button.|
|Auto Exposure Bracketing||Number of shots: 2 to 9 frames
Compensation steps: 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, or 1EV steps
|Shutter||Electromagnetically controlled vertical-travel focal-plane shutter, 30 to 1/8,000 second and bulb|
|Sync Contact||X-contact only: flash synchronization up to 1/250 second|
|Flash Control||1) New Creative Lighting System: i-TTL Balanced Fill-Flash controlled by TTL Sensor with Nikon Speedlight SB-800/600: Advanced Wireless Lighting, FV (Flash Value) Lock, Flash Color Information Communication for Auto White Balance, Auto FP High-Speed Flash Sync, Modeling Flash
2) D-TTL Balanced Fill-Flash: When used with the Speedlight SB-80DX/50DX and in accordance with the mounted lens, five-segment TTL Multi Sensor control makes available 3D Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill-Flash, Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill-Flash, and Standard D-TTL Balanced Fill-Flash
3) AA (Auto Aperture)-type Flash available when used with SB-800/80DX and lens with built-in CPU
4) Non-TTL Auto Flash (A-type Flash) with a Speedlight such as SB-30/27/22s etc.
5) Range-priority manual available with SB-800
|Flash Sync Mode||1) Front-Curtain Sync (normal sync),
2) Red-Eye Reduction,
3) Red-Eye Reduction with Slow Sync,
4) Slow Sync,
5) Rear-Curtain Sync
|Ready-light||Lights up when flash fully charged with Speedlight SB-800/600/80DX/50DX/30/27/22s; blinks for full output warning|
|Accessory Shoe||ISO 518 standard-type hot shoe contact; Safety lock mechanism provided|
|Sync Terminal||ISO 519 standard terminal, lock screw provided|
|Self-timer||Electronically controlled; Timer duration: 2, 5, 10, and 20 seconds|
|Depth of Field Preview Button||Stop-down lens aperture by pressing Depth-of-Field Preview button|
|Remote Control||Via 10-pin remote terminal|
|GPS||NMEA 0183 (ver. 2.01) Interface standard supported with GPS Cable MC-35 (optional) and 9-pin D-sub cable (optional).|
|Supported Languages||English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, Simplified Chinese, Korean, Japanese (selectable in menu)|
|Power Requirements||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL4 (11.1V DC), Quick Charger MH-21, AC Adapter EH-6 (optional)|
|Battery Monitoring System||The LCD monitor on the camera back displays the following information about the EN-EL4 battery: 1.) Remaining charge (%); 2.) No. of shots taken since last charge; 3.) Calibration status (Recommended/Not required); 4.) Battery life (5 stages)|
|Tripod Socket||1/4 in. (ISO1222)|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||Approx. 157.5 x 149.5 x 85.5mm (6.2 x 5.9 x 3.4 in.)|
|Weight (without battery)||Approx. 1,070g (2.4 lbs)|
|Supplied Accessories*||Li-ion Battery EN-EL4, Quick Charger MH-21, Body Cap, Camera Strap AN-D2Hs, Battery Chamber Cover BL-1, Audio Video Cable EG-D2, USB Cable UC-E4, LCD Monitor Cover BM-3, PictureProject Software CD-ROM|
|Optional Accessories||Wireless Transmitter WT-2/2A/1/1A, Extended Range Antenna WA-E1, AC Adaptor EH-6, Type-E Focusing Screen, Anti-fog Finder Eyepiece DK-17A, Eyepiece Correction Lens DK-17C series, Speedlight SB-800 / SB-600, Nikon Capture 4 software, CompactFlash™ Cards|
- *Supplied accessories may differ in each country or area
- CompactFlash™ is a trademark of SanDisk Corporation.
- Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer. February 2005
- The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.