Nikon Speedlight SB-900
July 1, 2008
Advanced, high-performance Speedlight for Nikon digital SLR cameras
TOKYO – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of the Nikon Speedlight SB-900, a new external i-TTL flash unit with advanced features. The SB-900 offers a powerful guide number of 48/157.5 (ISO 200, meters/feet) and an incredible array of creative flash functions. The SB-900 is an ideal way to solve lighting challenges and extend Nikon D-SLR creativity.
The SB-900 is a high-performance Speedlight developed as the successor to the hugely successful Nikon SB-800. Practical functionality was emphasized in designing the SB-900, especially evident when used with Nikon digital SLR cameras compatible with the Nikon Creative Lighting System. It provides a wide 17-200 mm auto zoom range (expanded from the SB-800's 24-105mm), three illumination patterns, newly designed, streamlined operation with a full-information LCD panel, and AF-Assist illumination compatible with new-generation AF sensors. The SB-900 has an improved booster circuit for high-speed recycle time. In addition, firmware can be uploaded via a Nikon digital SLR camera the latest firmware can be downloaded from our website to a memory card and SB-900 firmware updated while mounted on a Nikon digital-SLR camera with the memory card inserted (Revised on July 10, 2008) −a world's first* for flash units, assuring that the SB-900 can accept technological advancements. The SB-900 serves as the new core for the Nikon Creative Lighting System when used in combination with current Nikon digital SLRs, and it supports Advanced Wireless Lighting as a master or a remote Speedlight, inviting photographers to explore the many creative possibilities.
Additional new functions include 180 degrees of left or right head swivel, a special built-in overheat protection system and automatic filter detection for unprecedented white balance correction, even in fluorescent lighting conditions.
With the SB-900, users can enjoy all the benefits of the Nikon Creative Lighting System for both automation and comprehensive control, enabling endless lighting possibilities.
- *The world's first flash unit with a user-applied firmware update function via a digital SLR camera as of July 1, 2008. According to research conducted by NIKON CORPORATION as of July 1, 2008. (Revised on July 10, 2008)
- Note:Specifications, design, product name, standard accessories and release schedule may differ by country or region
Nikon Speedlight SB-900 Major Features
- Multi-step auto zoom covers wide 17-200mm zoom range (24-105mm: SB-800)
- Three illumination patterns (standard, center-weighted and even) are available to match each shooting environment
- Automatically detects Nikon FX and Nikon DX formats and selects suitable light distribution
- Improved booster circuit for high-speed recycle time: Recycle time using four AA-size batteries is almost equal to the SB-800 with five AA-size batteries
- New AF-Assist illumination covers a wide 20-105 mm focal range compatible with the new Multi-CAM3500 FX/DX AF sensor
- Firmware update via Nikon D3 and D700 is possible (world's first*)
- Thermal Cut-out function limits the number of flashes to avoid deterioration of light emitting parts caused by continuous flash firing
- Automatically detects color filters (fluorescent or incandescent), enabling camera to control color temperature according to filter information from SB-900
- Improved switch panel for enhanced usability
- Improved GUI using a large-size LCD dot panel
- Bounce capability: tilts up to 90o, down to -7o, rotates horizontally 180o to right and left
- Advanced Wireless Lighting and versatile functions for up to three remote groups of SB-900s or other compatible Speedlight controlled through the master SB-900
- Optional Water Guard WG-AS1 (for D3), WG-AS2 (for D300), and WG-AS3 (for D700) is useful for protecting the camera's hot shoe contact when the SB-900 is mounted on these Nikon digital SLR cameras
- *(begin delete)
The world's first flash unit firmware update function via a digital SLR camera as of July 1, 2008.(end delete) The latest firmware can be downloaded from website to a memory card and SB-900 firmware updated while mounted on a Nikon digital-SLR camera with the memory card inseted. According to research conducted by NIKON CORPORATION as of July 1, 2008. (Revised on July 10, 2008)
Speedlight SB-900 Specifications
|Electronic construction||Automatic Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor (IGBT) and series circuitry|
|Guide number (20°C/68°F)||34/111.5 (ISO 100, m/ft), 48/157.5 (ISO 200, m/ft)|
|Illumination pattern||Three illumination patterns: standard, even and center-weighted The light distribution angle is automatically adjusted to the camera's image area in both FX and DX formats|
|Flash shooting distance range||0.6 m to 20 m (2 to 66 ft) (varies depending on camera image area setting, illumination pattern, ISO sensitivity, zoom position, and lens aperture)|
|Flash mode||TTL, Auto Aperture flash, Non-TTL auto flash, Distance-priority manual flash, Manual flash, Repeating flash|
|Other functions||Test firing, monitor pre-flashes, AF-assist illuminator, and Modeling illuminator|
|Multiple flash operation||Advanced Wireless Lighting, SU-4 type wireless multiple flash|
|Compatible cameras||All cameras compatible with Nikon Creative Lighting System (other cameras can be used but functionality is reduced)|
|Flash exposure control set on the camera||Camera's sync modes: Slow-sync, Red-eye reduction in slow-sync, Rear-curtain sync, Rear-curtain slow-sync
Shooting functions: Auto FP High-Speed sync, FV Lock flash
|Bounce capability||Flash head tilts down to -7° or up to 90° with click-stops at -7°, 0°, 45°, 60°, 75°, 90° Flash head rotates horizontally 180° to the left and right with click-stops at 0°, 30°, 60°, 90°, 120°, 150°, 180°|
|ON/OFF||Press the Power ON-OFF switch to turn the SB-900 on or off Standby function can be set|
|Power source/min. recycle time/no. of flashes (at full output)
With fresh batteries (These data may vary depending on battery condition)
|Four AA-size penlight batteries (1.5V or lower) of the following types:
Batteries : Alkaline-manganese (1.5V)
Batteries : Lithium (1.5V)
Batteries : Oxyride (1.5V)
Batteries : Ni-MH (2600 mAh) (rechargeable) (1.2V)
|Ready light||The SB-900 is fully recycled: Rear ready-light lights up and front light blinks Insufficient light for correct exposure (in i-TTL, Auto Aperture flash, Non-TTL Auto flash, or Distance-priority manual flash operations): ready-lights and front lights blink after shooting|
|Flash duration||Approx. 1/880 sec. at full output|
|Mounting foot lock lever||Provides secure attachment of SB-900 to camera's accessory shoe using locking plate and mount pin to prevent accidental detachment.|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||Approx. 78.0 x146.0 x 118.5 mm (3.0 x 5.7 x 4.7 in.)|
|Weight (without batteries)||Approx. 415 g (14.6 oz.)|
|Supplied accessories||Speedlight Stand AS-21, Nikon Diffusion Dome SW-13H, Color Filter Set SJ-900, Color Filter Holder SZ-2, Soft Case SS-900|
|Optional accessories||Color Filter Set SJ-3, Water Guard WG-AS1/WG-AS2/WG-AS3, High-Performance Battery Pack SD-9, Wireless Slave Flash Controller SU-4, TTL Remote Cord SC-28/SC-29|
These performance specifications are applicable when fresh batteries are used at normal temperature (20°C/68°F).
Specifications and design are subject to change without notice.
- *Oxyride Battery is a registered trademark of Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. Products and brand names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
- *Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer. July 2008
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.