Digital Compact Camera Nikon COOLPIX S520
January 29, 2008
Elegant design, quality finish and unique advanced functions take the effort out of taking beautiful pictures
TOKYO – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of the COOLPIX S520, a stylish new camera that pushes the level of photographic performance, operating ease and design elegance to new heights. Built on a custom application of Nikon's innovative EXPEED digital image processing concept and incorporating the precision optics of a NIKKOR lens, the COOLPIX S520 makes it easier to express individual expression in beautiful fashion.
The COOLPIX S520 offers 8.0 effective megapixels of sharp resolution, quick response, and maintains image quality and clarity with sensitivity settings as high as ISO 2000. It also includes the clarity and precision of a 3x Zoom-NIKKOR lens featuring Nikon's optical lens shift VR image stabilization.
Unique new functions for the COOLPIX S520 provide easier ways to express the scene and organize results. Food mode is a new scene mode selection enabling beautiful close-ups of food at high ISO settings in restaurants and other locations where flash photography is not permitted. Another new feature allows users to select their favorite three of the 16 available scene modes to appear in the Mode menu for easier access. Easy in-camera image organization allows favorite pictures to be saved to individual albums. And new viewing options include Face Zoom-in, which allows quick zooming in on and switching between faces during playback, to ensure that all subjects in the frame are captured clearly.
The COOLPIX S520 is housed in a quality-crafted aluminum body that fits comfortably in the hand. From the hairline treatment on the face to the clean design of the back and cable connectors hidden along the bottom, the compact body conveys functional beauty and classic camera appeal. The COOLPIX S520 will be available in a choice of Light Bronze, Urban Black, Purple, Pink, or Magenta body colors*.
- *Color availability may vary according to region.
- Note: Specifications, design, product name, standard accessories, and release schedule may differ by country or area.
Nikon COOLPIX S520 Feature Highlights
Proven lens shift VR image stabilization
Optical lens shift VR (Vibration Reduction) is field proven technology originally developed for Nikon SLR camera lenses. The VR system counteracts camera shake in lower light or when shooting moving subjects, providing the ability to shoot at shutter speeds as much as three steps slower without blurring the picture. Active full time, VR also stabilizes images displayed on the 2.5-inch high-resolution LCD monitor for easier framing and more reassured shooting.
ISO 2000 capability provides extended shooting range
Extended light sensitivity range with manual settings up to ISO 2000 makes it easier to take great-looking pictures in lower lighting conditions, or to capture moving subjects with outstanding clarity. Automatic sensitivity control is also available, freeing you to concentrate on the shot while the camera selects the optimal setting across a range between ISO 64 and ISO 1600. And the image processing engine preserves high image quality even when shooting with high ISO settings, thanks to enhanced noise reduction and an improved signal-to-noise ratio.
Large 2.5-inch LCD monitor for quality viewing and menu operation
The COOLPIX S520 has a high quality 2.5-inch LCD monitor with anti-reflection coating for better display in bright situations. Improved shooting displays with revised icons and information feedback help make framing and shooting easier.
Nikon COOLPIX S520 Other Features
- Three Unique Nikon Image Innovations
– Face-priority AF, In-Camera Red-Eye Fix, D-Lighting
- 1:1 size format with black or white borders available on playback
- Macro shooting from as close as 15 cm (5.9 in.)
- Three movie modes with sound, plus time-lapse movie mode
- Time zone function for easy setting of multiple locations
- SDHC card compatibility
- Approx. 23 MB of internal memory
- USB connectivity
- PictBridge support
Nikon COOLPIX S520 Specifications
|Effective pixels||8.0 million|
|Image sensor||1/2.5-in. CCD; total pixels: approx. 8.29 million|
|Lens||3x Zoom-NIKKOR; 5.7-17.1mm (35mm  format picture angle: 35-105mm); f/2.8-4.7; 5 elements in 5 groups; Digital zoom: up to 4x (35mm  format picture angle: 420mm)|
|Focus range (from lens)||50cm (1 ft. 7.7 in.) to infinity (∞), Macro close-up mode: 15cm (5.9 in.) to infinity (∞)|
|Monitor||2.5-in., approx. 153k-dot, TFT LCD with anti-reflection coating|
|Storage media||Internal memory (approx. 23 MB), SD memory cards|
|Image size (pixels)||3264 x 2448 (High: 3264/Normal: 3264), 2592 x 1944 (Normal: 2592), 2048 x 1536 (Normal: 2048), 1024 x 768 (PC: 1024), 640 x 480 (TV: 640), 3200 x 1800 (16:9), 2448 x 2448 (1:1)|
|Vibration Reduction (VR)||Optical lens shift VR|
|ISO sensitivity||ISO 64, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 2000, Auto (auto gain ISO 64-1600)|
|Power sources||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL10 (supplied), AC Adapter EH-62D (optional)|
|Battery life||Approx. 180 shots with EN-EL10 battery (based on CIPA standard)|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||Approx. 94 x 53 x 22.5 mm (3.7 x 2.1 x 0.9 in.) excluding projections|
|Weight||Approx. 115 g (4.1 oz.) without battery and SD memory card|
|Supplied accessories*||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL10, Battery Charger MH-63, USB Cable UC-E6, Audio Video Cable EG-CP14, Strap AN-CP14, Software Suite CD-ROM|
|Optional accessories||AC Adapter EH-62D|
- *Supplied accessories may differ by country or area.
|OS||Macintosh: Mac OS X version 10.3.9, 10.4.x
Windows: Windows Vista (32bit), Windows XP Home Edition/Professional pre-installed models
|Note||CD-ROM drive required for installation. Only built-in USB ports are supported.|
- Microsoft®, Windows® and Windows VistaTM are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Macintosh®, Mac® OS and QuickTime® are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. The SDHC logo is a trademark. PictBridge is a trademark. D-Lighting technology is provided by Apical Limited. The FotoNation logo is a trademark. Products and brand names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
- Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer. January 2008
- The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.