Digital Compact Camera Nikon COOLPIX L20/L19
February 3, 2009
The right blend of simple operation, high performance and reliability put more fun into carefree shooting of beautiful photographs
TOKYO – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of the COOLPIX L20 and L19. Combining the precision optics of a NIKKOR lens with the image quality and performance benefits of Nikon's innovative EXPEED digital image-processing concept, the COOLPIX L20 and L19 are quality compact digital cameras that combine high performance with outstanding operating ease.
A variety of advanced functions simplifies picture-taking. Activated in Easy Auto Mode, Nikon's Scene Auto Selector makes capturing special moments as easy as turning on the camera and shooting without worrying about any settings. The handy functions of Nikon's Smart Portrait System aids in beautifully capturing precious smiles. Motion Detection, Nikon's BSS (Best Shot Selector) function and ISO 1600 capability help ensure sharper results in lower light, or when capturing fast-moving subjects.
Controls are sized and placed to ensure intuitive operation. For example, dedicated buttons on the top of the body make it easy to switch between shooting and playback modes. Large high-resolution 3-in. (L20) and 2.7-in. (L19) LCD monitors offer a bright image that is a pleasure to view, even outdoors. And the contours of the large thumb rest and the body itself assure a solid grip.
The COOLPIX L20 and L19 make full use of their respective 10.0 and 8.0 effective megapixels of imaging power to capture true-to-life color with plenty of resolution for cropping freely or to produce enlargements. The precision optics of a 3.6x Zoom-NIKKOR lens covers a practical focal range that can be used to capture everything from group shots to close-up portraits.
The COOLPIX L20 will be available in Bright Silver, Deep Red, Navy Blue and Black Metallic. The COOLPIX L19 will be available in Bright Silver, Shiny Pink, Black Metallic and Magenta. (Color name and color availability may vary according to region.)
- Note: Specifications, design, product name, standard accessories, and release schedule may differ by country or area.
Nikon COOLPIX L20 and L19 Feature Highlights
- Intelligent automation contributes to carefree shooting
- Easy Auto Mode simplifies photography by taking control of settings; just turn on the camera and shoot freely. Activated in Easy Auto Mode, Nikon's Scene Auto Selector eliminates the need to manually select a scene mode to match the shot, making it faster and easier to capture the moment in beautiful fashion. The COOLPIX L20 and L19 use this intelligent function to analyze the subject and its surrounding settings and automatically selects the most appropriate scene mode to achieve optimal results.
- Nikon's exclusive Smart Portrait System
- Automatically detecting as many as 12 faces in the shot, Face-priority AF helps produce satisfying portraits by adjusting focus and exposure. Smile Mode helps to faithfully record precious moments by automatically releasing the shutter when the subject smiles. Blink Warning displays an alert when it suspects that a subject has blinked. Now featuring faster processing speed, In-Camera Red-Eye Fix automatically corrects any perceived red-eye effect before saving the image to memory.
- A trio of advanced image stabilizing features helps ensure sharper results
- Motion Detection automatically controls shutter speed and the ISO setting to compensate for subject movement as well as camera shake. ISO 1600 capability allows faster shutter speeds when shooting in low light or capturing fast-moving subjects. And, Nikon's original BSS (Best Shot Selector) function automatically shoots a series of sequential frames and saves the one with the sharpest focus.
- AA-size batteries for shoot-anywhere convenience
- The COOLPIX L20 and L19 are powered by AA-size batteries, for the added advantage of being able to pick up a new set in virtually any corner of the world. That means shooting with reassuring freedom from any worries about recharging or running out of power when a special shutter chance presents itself.
Nikon COOLPIX L20/L19 Other Features
- Macro shooting from as close as 5 cm (2 in.)
- 16 handy scene modes for optimized shooting in various settings
- Food Mode
- Active Zoom
- Three movie modes with sound
- Time zone function for easy setting of multiple locations
- Approx. 20 MB of internal memory
- Hi-Speed USB connectivity
Nikon Digital Camera COOLPIX L20/L19 Specifications
|Effective pixels||L20: 10.0 million
L19: 8.0 million
|Image sensor||L20: 1/2.3-in. CCD; total pixels: approx. 10.34 million
L19: 1/2.5-in. CCD; total pixels: approx. 8.29 million
|Lens||L20: 3.6x Zoom-NIKKOR; 6.7-24.0mm (35mm  format picture angle: 38-136mm); f/3.1-6.7; Digital zoom: up to 4x (35mm  format picture angle: 544mm)
L19: 3.6x Zoom-NIKKOR; 6.7-24.0mm (35mm  format picture angle: 41-145mm); f/3.1-6.7; Digital zoom: up to 4x (35mm  format picture angle: 580mm)
|Focus range (from lens)||30cm (1 ft.) to infinity (∞); Macro close-up mode: 5cm (2 in.) to infinity (∞)|
|Monitor||L20: 3-in., approx. 230k-dot, TFT LCD
L19: 2.7-in., approx. 230k-dot, TFT LCD
|Storage media||Internal memory (approx. 20 MB), SD/SDHC memory cards*1|
|Image size (pixels)||L20: 3648 x 2736 (High: 3648★/Normal: 3648), 2592 x 1944 (Normal: 2592), 2048 x 1536 (Normal: 2048), 1024 x 768 (PC: 1024), 640 x 480 (TV: 640), 3584 x 2016 (16:9: 3584)
L19: 3264 x 2448 (High: 3264★/Normal: 3264), 2592 x 1944 (Normal: 2592), 2048 x 1536 (Normal: 2048), 1024 x 768 (PC: 1024), 640 x 480 (TV: 640), 3200 x 1800 (16:9: 3200)
|ISO sensitivity||Auto (auto gain ISO 64-1600)|
|Power sources||Two AA alkaline (supplied), or lithium batteries, two EN-MH2 rechargeable Ni-MH batteries (optional), AC Adapter EH-65A (optional)|
|Battery life||Approx. 240 shots with alkaline, 440 shots with EN-MH2, or 630 shots with lithium|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||Approx. 96.5 x 61 x 29 mm (3.8 x 2.4 x 1.2 in.) excluding projections|
|Weight||L20: Approx. 135 g (4.8 oz.) without battery and SD/SDHC memory card
L19: Approx. 130 g (4.6 oz.) without battery and SD/SDHC memory card
|Supplied accessories*2||LR6/AA-size alkaline batteries, USB Cable UC-E6, Audio Video Cable EG-CP14 (L20 only), Strap AN-CP19, Software Suite CD-ROM|
|Optional accessories||Audio Video Cable EG-CP14, Rechargeable Ni-MH Battery EN-MH2, Battery Charger MH-72, AC Adapter EH-65A|
- *1Not compatible with Multi Media Cards (MMC).
- *2Supplied accessories may differ by country or area.
|OS||Macintosh: Mac OS X version 10.3.9, 10.4.11, 10.5.5
Windows: Windows Vista (32bit), Windows XP Home Edition/Professional pre-installed models
|Note||CD-ROM drive required for installation. Only built-in USB ports are supported.|
- Microsoft®, Windows® and Windows Vista™ are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Macintosh®, Mac® OS and QuickTime® are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. The SDHC logo is a trademark. PictBridge is a trademark. D-Lighting technology is provided by Apical Limited. The FotoNation logo is a trademark. FSE (Face Sensing Engine) technology is provided by OKI. CompactFlash® and Extreme® are registered trademarks of SanDisk Corporation. Products and brand names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
- Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer. February 2009
- The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.