Digital Compact Camera Nikon COOLPIX P90
February 3, 2009
Unleashing creative freedom with 24x optical zoom, 26mm wide-angle capability, a vari-angle LCD and advanced shooting modes
TOKYO – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of the COOLPIX P90, a new compact digital camera model that offers extended reach, wide-angle coverage, the intuitive ease of advanced shooting functions and outstanding performance. Incorporating the precision optics of a NIKKOR lens and the image quality benefits of Nikon's innovative EXPEED digital image-processing concept, the COOLPIX P90 brings greater versatility and fun to the art of capturing precious moments.
A new 24x Zoom-NIKKOR lens for the COOLPIX P90 covers a broad focal range of 26mm wide-angle through 624mm super-telephoto (35mm format equivalent). The clarity of these precision optics combine with 12.1 effective megapixels of sharp resolution and advanced Nikon digital image-processing to faithfully reproduce fine details and subtle tones, and to maintain image quality when taking advantage of extended light sensitivity settings as high as ISO 6400*1. Image sensor shift VR image stabilization adds extra reassurance of sharper and clearer results.
Further extending its potential as a versatile photographic tool, the COOLPIX P90 features a new 3-in. high-resolution vari-angle LCD with anti-reflection coating that can be tilted as much as 90 degrees upward or 45 degrees downward. This enables photographers to shoot from higher angles or from the hip, and to thereby make best use of the superior reach and range of the 24x zoom lens.
Refined ergonomics places controls where they can best simplify and streamline camera operation. For example, the Mode Dial provides quick access to the rich creative possibilities offered by advanced Programmed Auto [P], Shutter-priority Auto [S], Aperture-priority Auto [A], and Manual [M] exposure modes, as well as a choice of two user-defined settings (U1/U2). Keeping photographers ahead of the action, Sport Continuous Mode adds the versatility of shooting as many as 45 consecutive pictures at 15 fps*2. And, it features a new Pre-shooting Cache option that enables the recording of up to 10 frames immediately prior to releasing the shutter.
- *1ISO 3200 and 6400 are available only for image sizes of 3M (2048 x 1536) or smaller.
- *2Feature available only for image size of 16:9 (1920 x 1080).
- Note: Specifications, design, product name, standard accessories, and release schedule may differ by country or area.
Nikon COOLPIX P90 Feature Highlights
- Nikon's exclusive Smart Portrait System
- Automatically detecting as many as 12 faces in the shot, Face-priority AF helps produce satisfying portraits by adjusting focus and exposure. Smile Timer helps to faithfully record precious moments by automatically releasing the shutter when the subject smiles. The new Blink Proof function automatically shoots two sequential frames and saves the shot in which the subject's eyes are open-wide. And, the advanced red-eye reduction capability of In-Camera Red-Eye Fix automatically corrects any perceived red-eye effect before saving the image to memory.
- VR image stabilization for sharper results
- Compensating for the effects of camera shake to realize sharper results and contribute to a more reassuring shooting experience, image sensor shift VR image stabilization frees you to enjoy capturing special moments without worrying about slight hand movements. This is particularly helpful when taking advantage of the 24x zoom lens' super-telephoto focal lengths, or when shooting in lower-lighting conditions.
- ISO 6400 capability provides extended shooting range
A variety of light sensitivity controls create new opportunities to take sharper, more natural-looking photos in lower light conditions, or to capture fast-moving subjects with outstanding clarity. Sensitivity of up to ISO 6400* can be set using manual control. Auto control is available for settings between ISO 64 through ISO 800. High ISO Sensitivity Auto (ISO 64-1600) can be used to have the camera analyze the brightness of the scene and automatically select the optimum ISO setting. And, Fixed range auto allows sensitivity to be limited between a range from ISO 64 to 100, 200 or 400.
- *ISO 3200 and 6400 are available only for image sizes of 3M (2048 x 1536) or smaller.
- 3-in. vari-angle LCD and electronic viewfinder
- In addition to its 3-in. high-resolution vari-angle LCD with anti-reflection coating, the COOLPIX P90 features the versatility of an electronic viewfinder that further enhances compositional freedom and accuracy under all lighting conditions.
- Nikon's innovative Active D-Lighting function
- Enabled during shooting, Active D-Lighting is a unique technology that adds light and detail where necessary while leaving correctly-exposed areas untouched to produce significantly improved images with a more natural-looking finish.
- Quick Retouch
- Quick Retouch adds the right finishing touch to your photos by automatically creating a retouched copy with the best balance of contrast and saturation.
Nikon COOLPIX P90 Other Features
- Macro shooting from as close as 1 cm (0.4 in.)
- 16 handy scene modes for optimized shooting in various settings
- Scene Auto Selector
- Motion Detection
- BSS (Best Shot Selector)
- Optimize image (including monochrome filter effect)
- Distortion Control for optimum quality when shooting architecture or landscapes
- Five movie modes with sound, plus time-lapse movie mode
- Active Zoom
- 1:1 size format
- Time zone function for easy setting of multiple locations
- Approx. 47 MB of internal memory
- Hi-Speed USB connectivity
Nikon Digital Camera COOLPIX P90 Specifications
|Image sensor||1/2.33-in. CCD; total pixels: approx. 12.7 million|
|Lens||24x Zoom-NIKKOR; 4.6-110.4mm (35mm  format picture angle: 26-624mm); f/2.8-5; Digital zoom: up to 4x (35mm  format picture angle: 2496mm)|
|Focus range (from lens)||50cm (1 ft. 8 in.) to infinity (∞), Macro close-up mode: 1cm (0.4 in.) to infinity (∞)|
|Monitor||3-in., approx. 230k-dot, vari-angle TFT LCD with anti-reflection coating, Electronic Viewfinder, 0.24-in., approx. 230k-dot|
|Storage media||Internal memory (approx. 47 MB), SD/SDHC memory cards*1|
|Image size (pixels)||4000 x 3000 (12M), 3264 x 2448 (8M), 2592 x 1944 (5M), 2048 x 1536 (3M), 1600 x 1200 (2M), 1280 x 960 (1M), 1024 x 768 (PC), 640 x 480 (TV), 3984 x 2656 (3:2), 3968 x 2232 (16:9), 2992 x 2992 (1:1), 1920 x 1080 (16:9: 2M)|
|Vibration Reduction (VR)||Image sensor shift VR|
||ISO 64, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200*2, 6400*2, Auto (auto gain ISO 64-800), High ISO Sensitivity Auto (ISO 64-1600), Fixed range auto (ISO 64-100, 64-200, 64-400)|
|Power sources||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL5 (supplied), AC Adapter EH-62A (optional)|
|Battery life||Approx. 200 shots with EN-EL5 battery|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||Approx. 114 x 83 x 99 mm (4.5 x 3.3 x 3.9 in.) excluding projections|
|Weight||Approx. 460 g (16.2 oz.) without battery and SD/SDHC memory card|
|Supplied accessories*3||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL5, Battery Charger MH-61, USB Cable UC-E6, Audio Video Cable EG-CP14, Strap AN-CP18, Lens Cap LC-CP19, Software Suite CD-ROM|
|Optional accessories||AC Adapter EH-62A|
- *1Not compatible with Multi Media Cards (MMC).
- *2ISO 3200 and 6400 are available only for image sizes of 3M (2048 x 1536) or smaller.
- *3Supplied accessories may differ by country or area.
|OS||Macintosh: Mac OS X version 10.3.9, 10.4.11, 10.5.5
Windows: Windows Vista (32bit), Windows XP Home Edition/Professional pre-installed models
|Note||CD-ROM drive required for installation. Only built-in USB ports are supported.|
- Microsoft®, Windows® and Windows Vista™ are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Macintosh®, Mac® OS and QuickTime® are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. The SDHC logo is a trademark. PictBridge is a trademark. D-Lighting technology is provided by Apical Limited. The FotoNation logo is a trademark. FSE (Face Sensing Engine) technology is provided by OKI. CompactFlash® and Extreme® are registered trademarks of SanDisk Corporation. Products and brand names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
- Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer. February 2009
- The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.