Digital Compact Camera Nikon COOLPIX S220
February 3, 2009
High performance, advanced functions and elegantly slim design blend to make picture-taking and carrying a camera more rewarding
TOKYO – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of the COOLPIX S220. Combining the precision optics of a NIKKOR lens with the image quality and performance benefits of Nikon's innovative EXPEED digital image-processing concept, the COOLPIX S220 blends advanced shooting functions with a slim, ultra-compact design to offer a more satisfying experience in photography and in carrying a camera.
The COOLPIX S220 features high performance imaging capabilities. 10.0 effective megapixels of sharp resolution teams with an optimized processing system to faithfully reproduce fine details and subtle tones, deliver quick response, and maintain image quality and clarity when taking advantage of extended light sensitivity settings as high as ISO 2000. A precision 3x Zoom-NIKKOR lens that employs six aspherical surfaces ably covers focal lengths from 35-105mm (35mm format equivalent).
The COOLPIX S220 is housed in an 18mm slim, quality-crafted aluminum body with gentle contours that fit comfortably in the hand. Functional beauty and elegant design abound, from the clean design of the back with its spacious thumb rest, large controls, and independent shooting mode and playback buttons, to the large shutter release button, easy-to-operate zoom control and power lamp on the top plane. The finishing touch is the fashionable lineup of attractive colors that are available to best reflect individual tastes.
The COOLPIX S220 will be available in Soft Silver, Aqua Green, Magenta, Cobalt Blue, Purple, or Black, or Red. (Color name and color availability may vary according to region.)
- Note: Specifications, design, product name, standard accessories, and release schedule may differ by country or area.
Nikon COOLPIX S220 Feature Highlights
- Intelligent automation contributes to carefree shooting
- Nikon's Scene Auto Selector eliminates the need to manually select a scene mode to match the shot, and this makes it faster and easier to capture the moment in beautiful fashion. The COOLPIX S220 uses this intelligent function to analyze the subject and surrounding setting and automatically selects the most appropriate of the following six scene modes to achieve optimal results – Portrait, Landscape, Night Portrait, Night Landscape, Close-up, or Backlight.
- Nikon's exclusive Smart Portrait System
- Automatically detecting as many as 12 faces in the shot, Face-priority AF helps produce satisfying portraits by adjusting focus and exposure. Smile Mode automatically releases the shutter when the priority subject smiles and offers the new Blink Proof function, which automatically shoots two sequential frames and saves the one in which the subject's eyes are open-wide. Now featuring faster processing speed, In-Camera Red-Eye Fix automatically corrects any perceived red-eye effect before saving the image to memory.
- Four advanced image stabilizing features help ensure sharper results
- Nikon's electronic VR (Vibration Reduction) image stabilization compensates for the effects of camera shake. Motion Detection automatically controls shutter speed and the ISO setting to compensate for subject movement as well as camera shake. ISO 2000 capability allows faster shutter speeds when shooting in low light or capturing fast-moving subjects. And, Nikon's original BSS (Best Shot Selector) function automatically shoots a series of sequential frames and saves the one with the sharpest focus.
- Quick Retouch
- Quick Retouch adds the right finishing touch to your photos by automatically creating a retouched copy with the best balance of contrast and saturation.
Nikon COOLPIX S220 Other Features
- 16 handy scene modes for optimized shooting in various settings
- Food Mode
- Active Zoom
- Auto Sort and Favorite Pictures functions
- Four movie modes with sound
- Time zone function for easy setting of multiple locations
- Approx. 44 MB of internal memory
- Hi-Speed USB connectivity
Nikon Digital Camera COOLPIX S220 Specifications
|Effective pixels||10.0 million|
|Image sensor||1/2.33-in. CCD; total pixels: approx. 10.34 million|
|Lens||3x Zoom-NIKKOR; 6.3-18.9mm (35mm  format picture angle: 35-105mm); f/3.1-5.9; Digital zoom: up to 4x (35mm  format picture angle: 420mm)|
|Focus range (from lens)||60cm (2 ft.) to infinity (∞), Macro close-up mode: 10cm (4 in.) to infinity (∞)|
|Monitor||2.5-in., approx. 150k-dot, TFT LCD|
|Storage media||Internal memory (approx. 44 MB), SD/SDHC memory cards*1|
|Image size (pixels)||3648 x 2736 (High: 3648★/Normal: 3648), 2592 x 1944 (Normal: 2592), 2048 x 1536 (Normal: 2048), 1024 x 768 (PC: 1024), 640 x 480 (TV: 640), 3584 x 2016 (16:9: 3584)|
|Vibration Reduction (VR)||Electronic VR|
||ISO 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 2000, Auto (auto gain ISO 80-800), High ISO Sensitivity Auto (ISO 80-1600)|
|Power sources||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL10 (supplied), AC Adapter EH-62D (optional)|
|Battery life||Approx. 180 shots with EN-EL10 battery|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||Approx. 89.5 x 55.5 x 18 mm (3.5 x 2.2 x 0.7 in.) excluding projections|
|Weight||Approx. 100 g (3.5 oz.) without battery and SD/SDHC memory card|
|Supplied accessories*2||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL10, Battery Charger MH-63, USB Cable UC-E6, Audio Video Cable EG-CP14, Strap AN-CP14/AN-CP19, Software Suite CD-ROM|
|Optional accessories||AC Adapter EH-62D|
- *1Not compatible with Multi Media Cards (MMC).
- *2Supplied accessories may differ by country or area.
|OS||Macintosh: Mac OS X version 10.3.9, 10.4.11, 10.5.5
Windows: Windows Vista (32bit), Windows XP Home Edition/Professional pre-installed models
|Note||CD-ROM drive required for installation. Only built-in USB ports are supported.|
- Microsoft®, Windows® and Windows Vista™ are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Macintosh®, Mac® OS and QuickTime® are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. The SDHC logo is a trademark. PictBridge is a trademark. D-Lighting technology is provided by Apical Limited. The FotoNation logo is a trademark. FSE (Face Sensing Engine) technology is provided by OKI. CompactFlash® and Extreme® are registered trademarks of SanDisk Corporation. Products and brand names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
- Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer. February 2009
- The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.