Digital Compact Camera Nikon COOLPIX S230
February 3, 2009
Intuitive touch screen operation and advanced functions served up with an extra helping of eye-catching elegance
TOKYO – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of the COOLPIX S230. Combining the precision optics of a NIKKOR lens with the image quality and performance benefits of Nikon's innovative EXPEED digital image-processing concept, the COOLPIX S230 blends the intuitive control of touch screen operation and advanced functions with delightfully compact design in a high-quality aluminum body.
The COOLPIX S230 employs a newly developed 3-in. touch control LCD to offer intuitive fingertip shooting control and a variety of exciting playback options.
Advanced shooting features include the ability to lock autofocus and exposure on a subject by simply touching the subject's face on the screen. When used in conjunction with the Portrait One-Touch Zoom function available in Portrait or Night Portrait scene modes, another simple touch of the screen commands the camera to set its three-step automatic zoom to take a waist shot, bust shot, or a close-up while delivering just the right amount of framing.
Touch control also lends a new dimension of fun to viewing and retouching images. The speed and ease of fingertip scrolling through images and instant image selection makes other forms of control pale in comparison. Then there is the supplied stylus that can be used with a variety of input, retouch and image enhancement functions. Included is the Paint Function, which enables memos, drawings, colorful borders or stamps to be added directly to images. There is also an independent Handwritten Memo function, which allows memos or drawings entered on the touch screen to be stored as JPEG files.
Another important feature of the COOLPIX S230 is its high performance imaging capabilities. 10.0 effective megapixels of sharp resolution is matched to the compositional freedom of a precision 3x Zoom-NIKKOR lens that ably covers focal lengths from 35-105mm (35mm format equivalent). Advanced digital image-processing faithfully reproduces fine details and subtle tones, delivers quick response, and maintains image quality and clarity when taking advantage of extended light sensitivity settings as high as ISO 2000.
The COOLPIX S230 will be available in a choice of Warm Silver, Gloss Red, Night Blue, Purple, or Black. (Color name and color availability may vary according to region.)
- Note: Specifications, design, product name, standard accessories, and release schedule may differ by country or area.
Nikon COOLPIX S230 Feature Highlights
- New 3-in. LCD monitor featuring touch screen control
- The 3-in. LCD for the COOLPIX S230 is a delight to both the eyes and the fingers. Its large size and high-resolution make picture-taking and playback more enjoyable. But it's the breakthrough excitement of the new optimized touch screen interface that makes the experience magic. The screen features AG coating that resists fingerprints and anti-reflection coating for better display in bright situations.
- Intelligent automation contributes to carefree shooting
- Nikon's Scene Auto Selector eliminates the need to manually select a scene mode to match the shot, and this makes it faster and easier to capture the moment in beautiful fashion. The COOLPIX S230 uses this intelligent function to analyze the subject and its surrounding settings and automatically selects the most appropriate of the following six scene modes to achieve optimal results – Portrait, Landscape, Night Portrait, Night Landscape, Close-up, or Backlight.
- Nikon's exclusive Smart Portrait System
- Automatically detecting as many as 12 faces in the shot, Face-priority AF helps produce satisfying portraits by adjusting focus and exposure. Smile Mode automatically releases the shutter when the priority subject smiles and offers the new Blink Proof function, which automatically shoots two sequential frames and saves the one in which the subject's eyes are open-wide. Now featuring faster processing speed, In-Camera Red-Eye Fix automatically corrects any perceived red-eye effect before saving the image to memory.
- Four advanced image stabilizing features help ensure sharper results
- Nikon's electronic VR image stabilization compensates for the effects of camera shake. Motion Detection automatically controls shutter speed and the ISO setting to compensate for subject movement as well as camera shake. ISO 2000 capability allows faster shutter speeds when shooting in low light or capturing fast-moving subjects. And, Nikon's original BSS (Best Shot Selector) function automatically shoots a series of sequential frames and saves the one with the sharpest focus.
- Quick Retouch
- Quick Retouch adds the right finishing touch to your photos by automatically creating a retouched copy with the best balance of contrast and saturation.
Nikon COOLPIX S230 Other Features
- 16 handy scene modes for optimized shooting in various settings
- Food Mode
- Active Zoom
- Auto Sort and Favorite Pictures functions
- Four movie modes with sound
- Time zone function for easy setting of multiple locations
- Approx. 44 MB of internal memory
- Hi-Speed USB connectivity
Nikon Digital Camera COOLPIX S230 Specifications
|Effective pixels||10.0 million|
|Image sensor||1/2.3-in. CCD; total pixels: approx. 10.34 million|
|Lens||3x Zoom-NIKKOR; 6.3-18.9mm (35mm  format picture angle: 35-105mm); f/3.1-5.9; Digital zoom: up to 4x (35mm  format picture angle: 420mm)|
|Focus range (from lens)||60cm (2 ft.) to infinity (∞), Macro close-up mode: 10cm (4 in.) to infinity (∞)|
|Monitor||3-in., approx. 230k-dot, TFT LCD with touch screen control and anti-reflection coating|
|Storage media||Internal memory (approx. 44 MB), SD/SDHC memory cards*1|
|Image size (pixels)||3648 x 2736 (High: 3648★/Normal: 3648), 2592 x 1944 (Normal: 2592), 2048 x 1536 (Normal: 2048), 1024 x 768 (PC: 1024), 640 x 480 (TV: 640), 3584 x 2016 (16:9: 3584)|
|Vibration Reduction (VR)||Electronic VR|
||ISO 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 2000, Auto (auto gain ISO 80-800), High ISO Sensitivity Auto (ISO 80-1600)|
|Power sources||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL10 (supplied), AC Adapter EH-62D (optional)|
|Battery life||Approx. 160 shots with EN-EL10 battery|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||Approx. 91 x 57 x 20 mm (3.6 x 2.3 x 0.8 in.) excluding projections|
|Weight||Approx. 115 g (4.1 oz.) without battery and SD memory card|
|Supplied accessories*2||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL10, Battery Charger MH-63, USB Cable UC-E6, Audio Video Cable EG-CP14, Strap AN-CP19, Stylus, Software Suite CD-ROM|
|Optional accessories||AC Adapter EH-62D|
- *1Not compatible with Multi Media Cards (MMC).
- *2Supplied accessories may differ by country or area.
|OS||Macintosh: Mac OS X version 10.3.9, 10.4.11, 10.5.5
Windows: Windows Vista (32bit), Windows XP Home Edition/Professional pre-installed models
|Note||CD-ROM drive required for installation. Only built-in USB ports are supported.|
- Microsoft®, Windows® and Windows Vista™ are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Macintosh®, Mac® OS and QuickTime® are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. The SDHC logo is a trademark. PictBridge is a trademark. D-Lighting technology is provided by Apical Limited. The FotoNation logo is a trademark. FSE (Face Sensing Engine) technology is provided by OKI. CompactFlash® and Extreme® are registered trademarks of SanDisk Corporation. Products and brand names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
- Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer. February 2009
- The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.