Digital Compact Camera Nikon COOLPIX S630
February 3, 2009
The beautifully stylish camera with a high-power zoom and advanced features that put more color and enjoyment into photography
TOKYO – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of the COOLPIX S630. Skillfully blending the precision optics of a 7x zoom lens with ultra-compact form, the COOLPIX S630 is a powerful photographic tool that maximizes the image quality and performance benefits of Nikon's innovative EXPEED digital image-processing concept.
The flexible focal range of its 7x Zoom-NIKKOR lens provides to fully capture the delight of special moments from near or far. The contour of the new Sure Grip body design helps ensure sharper results when leveraging the lens' telescopic reach by providing a firm and perfectly natural fit in the hand. These features combine with a 12.0 megapixel image sensor and advanced Nikon digital image-processing to faithfully reproduce fine details and subtle tones, and to deliver exceptional image quality and consistently sharp results.
Dedication to quality materials and fine craftsmanship is readily apparent in the clean lines and solid metallic feel of the COOLPIX S630. Large controls, independent shooting and playback mode buttons, and the user-friendly Rotary Multi Selector offer intuitive operation. The COOLPIX S630 will be available in a choice of Titanium Silver, Black, Ruby Red, Midnight Blue or Dark Amethyst body colors. (Color name and color availability may vary according to region.)
The immediate response of a quick start-up time, remarkably short shutter-release time lag, and all-round optimized performance makes it easy to capture special moments at will while participating in the fun at hand. Sport Continuous Mode offers the added benefit of shooting as many as 20 consecutive pictures at a rapid 11 frames per second to capture all the excitement of most any action scene.
No less than four advanced image stabilizing features coordinate to ensure sharper results for every shot. Nikon's image sensor shift VR image stabilization compensates for the effects of camera shake. Motion Detection automatically controls shutter speed and the ISO setting to compensate for subject movement as well as camera shake. ISO 6400* capability allows faster shutter speeds when shooting in low light or capturing fast-moving subjects. And, Nikon's original BSS (Best Shot Selector) function automatically shoots a series of sequential frames and saves the one with the sharpest focus.
- *ISO 3200 and 6400 are available only for image sizes of 3M (2048 x 1536) or smaller.
- Note: Specifications, design, product name, standard accessories, and release schedule may differ by country or area.
Nikon COOLPIX S630 Feature Highlights
- Nikon's exclusive Smart Portrait System
- Automatically detecting as many as 12 faces in the shot, Face-priority AF helps produce satisfying portraits by adjusting focus and exposure. Smile Mode automatically releases the shutter when the priority subject smiles and offers the new Blink Proof function, which automatically shoots two sequential frames and saves the one in which the subject's eyes are open-wide. Now featuring faster processing speed, In-Camera Red-Eye Fix automatically corrects any perceived red-eye effect before saving the image to memory.
- ISO 6400 capability provides extended shooting range
A variety of light sensitivity controls create new opportunities to take sharper, more natural-looking photos in lower light conditions, or to capture fast-moving subjects with outstanding clarity. Sensitivity of up to ISO 6400* can be set using manual control. Auto ISO enables carefree shooting with optimal exposure by entrusting the light sensitivity setting to the camera. The automated control of High sensitivity mode* is particularly useful when shooting in low light or when the subject is moving in the shot. And Fixed range auto allows you to limit sensitivity from ISO 64 to 200 or 400 for effective control over image quality and the amount of "grain" that appears in images.
- *High sensitivity mode is available only for image sizes of 3M (2048 x 1536) or smaller.
- Large 2.7-in. LCD with wide-viewing angle
- The high quality 2.7-in. LCD for the COOLPIX S630 features a 170-degree wide-viewing angle, anti-reflection coating for better display in bright situations, as well as brightness level adjustment.
- Quick Retouch
- Quick Retouch adds the right finishing touch to your photos by automatically creating a retouched copy with the best balance of contrast and saturation.
Nikon COOLPIX S630 Other Features
- 16 handy scene modes for optimized shooting in various settings
- Scene Auto Selector
- Motion Detection
- Distortion Control for optimum quality when shooting architecture or landscapes
- Active Zoom
- Auto Sort and Favorite Pictures functions
- Four movie modes with sound
- Time zone function for easy setting of multiple locations
- Approx. 44 MB of internal memory
- Hi-Speed USB connectivity
Nikon Digital Camera COOLPIX S630 Specifications
|Effective pixels||12.0 million|
|Image sensor||1/2.33-in. CCD; total pixels: approx. 12.7 million|
|Lens||7x Zoom-NIKKOR; 6.6-46.2mm (35mm  format picture angle: 37-260mm); f/3.5-5.3; Digital zoom: up to 4x (35mm  format picture angle: 1040mm)|
|Focus range (from lens)||60cm (2 ft.) to infinity (∞), Macro close-up mode: 2cm (0.8 in.) to infinity (∞)|
|Monitor||2.7-in., approx. 230k-dot, wide-viewing angle TFT LCD with anti-reflection coating|
|Storage media||Internal memory (approx. 44 MB), SD/SDHC memory cards*1|
|Image size (pixels)||4000 x 3000 (High: 4000★/Normal: 4000), 3264 x 2448 (Normal: 3264), 2592 x 1944 (Normal: 2592), 2048 x 1536 (Normal: 2048), 1024 x 768 (PC: 1024), 640 x 480 (TV: 640), 3968 x 2232 (16:9: 3968), 1920 x 1080 (16:9: 1920)|
|Vibration Reduction (VR)||Image sensor shift VR|
||ISO 64, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200*2, 6400*2, Auto (auto gain ISO 64-800), High sensitivity mode*2 (ISO 640-3200), Fixed range auto (ISO 64-200, 64-400)|
|Power sources||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL12 (supplied), AC Adapter EH-62F (optional)|
|Battery life||Approx. 220 shots with EN-EL12 battery|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||Approx. 96.5 x 57.5 x 25.5 mm (3.8 x 2.3 x 1 in.) excluding projections|
|Weight||Approx. 140 g (4.9 oz.) without battery and SD/SDHC memory card|
|Supplied accessories*3||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL12, Battery Charger MH-65, USB Cable UC-E6, Audio Video Cable EG-CP14, Strap AN-CP19, Software Suite CD-ROM|
|Optional accessories||AC Adapter EH-62F|
- *1Not compatible with Multi Media Cards (MMC).
- *2ISO 3200 and 6400 are available only for image sizes of 3M (2048 x 1536) or smaller.
- *3Supplied accessories may differ by country or area.
|OS||Macintosh: Mac OS X version 10.3.9, 10.4.11, 10.5.5
Windows: Windows Vista (32bit), Windows XP Home Edition/Professional pre-installed models
|Note||CD-ROM drive required for installation. Only built-in USB ports are supported.|
- Microsoft®, Windows® and Windows Vista™ are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Macintosh®, Mac® OS and QuickTime® are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. The SDHC logo is a trademark. PictBridge is a trademark. D-Lighting technology is provided by Apical Limited. The FotoNation logo is a trademark. FSE (Face Sensing Engine) technology is provided by OKI. Products and brand names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
- Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer. February 2009
- The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.