Digital Compact Camera Nikon COOLPIX S640
August 4, 2009
Ultra-fast focus and quick response for versatile picture-taking and beautiful photo
TOKYO — Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of the COOLPIX S640. With an ultra-fast autofocus system, a variety of automated shooting functions, and a 12.2 megapixel resolution combined with the quality optics of a precision 5x zoom NIKKOR lens with 28mm wide-angle coverage, the COOLPIX S640 enables photographers to securely capture every moment.
Performance features include ultra-fast autofocus, the fastest start-up time in its class* of a mere 0.7 seconds and a short shutter-release time lag. This level of performance makes it easier to capture once-in-a-lifetime expressions with just the right timing.
The COOLPIX S640 also features a custom-optimized auto white balance system based on D-SLR technologies, producing beautiful pictures that benefit from more natural color adjustments.
Optical lens shift VR images stabilization combines with high sensitivity to achieve sharper and cleaner photos in a wider variety of unsteady or low-light situations. The COOLPIX S640 can shoot at any image size up to its maximum of 4000 x 3000 pixels with light sensitivity settings of as high as ISO 6400. And Fixed range auto allows you to limit sensitivity from ISO 100 to 400 or 800 for effective control over image quality.
The COOLPIX S640 is equipped with Nikon's new Clear Color Display technology, greatly reducing reflection and improving visibility, even outdoors in the sun. Complementing its attractive aluminum finish, the COOLPIX S640 will be available in a choice of Champagne Silver, Calm Black, Pearl White, Precious Pink or Velour Red body colors. (Color name and color availability may vary according to region.)
- *Among compact cameras equipped with optical 5x zoom lens and optical vibration reduction as of August 4, 2009 (according to research conducted by Nikon Corporation).
- Note: Specifications, design, product name, standard accessories, and release schedule may differ by country or area.
Nikon COOLPIX S640 Feature Highlights
- Four advanced image stabilizing features help ensure sharper results
- Nikon's optical lens shift VR image stabilization compensates for the effects of camera shake. High ISO 6400 capability at any image size up to its maximum of 4000 x 3000 pixels allows faster shutter speeds when shooting in low light or capturing fast-moving subjects. Motion Detection automatically controls shutter speed and the ISO setting to compensate for subject movement as well as camera shake. And, Nikon's original BSS (Best Shot Selector) function automatically shoots a series of sequential frames and saves the one with the sharpest focus.
- High-quality 2.7-in. Clear Color Display provides a wider, clearer view
- The high-quality 2.7-in. Clear Color Display for the COOLPIX S640 features an ultra wide-viewing angle, anti-reflection coating, antifouling and water repellent layer, and screen brightness boost function. Automatic color correction and contrast adjustment at playback optimize image quality to match the viewing conditions, while also maximizing power savings. The monitor's new structure greatly reduces reflection and improves visibility outdoors.
- Nikon's Smart Portrait System with Skin Softening
- As part of Nikon's Smart Portrait System, a series of advanced functions help produce consistently great portraits. The new Skin Softening function automatically detects and analyzes your subject's skin and then adjusts smoothness for enhanced results. Automatically detecting as many as 12 faces in the shot, Face-priority AF helps produce satisfying portraits by adjusting focus and exposure. Smile Timer automatically releases the shutter when the priority subject smiles while the Blink Proof function automatically shoots two sequential frames and saves the one in which the subject's eyes are wide open. In-Camera Red-Eye Fix automatically corrects any perceived red-eye effect before saving the image to memory.
- Subject Tracking with auto lock-on
- Subject tracking with its new auto lock-on capability automatically detects a human face and then continues to track and focus on that subject. Particularly useful when capturing children as they move naturally, Subject Tracking even functions if the subject moves out of the frame and returns within three seconds.
- Quick Retouch
- Quick Retouch adds the right finishing touch to your photos by automatically creating a retouched copy with the best balance of contrast and saturation.
Nikon COOLPIX S640 Other Features
- Macro shooting from as close as 2 cm (0.8 in.)
- 16 handy scene modes for optimized shooting in various settings
- Scene Auto Selector
- Active Zoom
- Auto Sort function
- Two movie modes with sound
- Time zone function for easy setting of multiple locations
- Approx. 45 MB of internal memory
- Hi-Speed USB connectivity with USB charging via Charging AC Adapter EH-68P/EH-68P (AR) or PC
Nikon Digital Camera COOLPIX S640 Specifications
|Effective pixels||12.2 million|
|Image sensor||1/2.3-in. CCD; total pixels: approx. 12.39 million|
|Lens||5x zoom NIKKOR; 5.0-25.0mm (equivalent with 35mm  format picture angle: 28-140mm); f/2.7-6.6; Digital zoom: up to 4x (35mm  format picture angle: 560mm)|
|Focus range (from lens)||45 cm (1 ft. 6 in.) to infinity (∞), Macro mode: 2 cm (0.8 in.) to infinity (∞)|
|Monitor||2.7-in., approx. 230k-dot, wide-viewing angle TFT LCD with anti-reflection coating, antifouling and water repellent layer|
|Storage media||Internal memory (approx. 45 MB), SD/SDHC memory cards*1|
|Image size (pixels)||4000 x 3000 (High: 4000★/Normal: 4000), 3264 x 2448 (Normal: 3264), 2592 x 1944 (Normal: 2592), 2048 x 1536 (Normal: 2048), 1024 x 768 (PC: 1024), 640 x 480 (TV: 640), 3968 x 2232 (16:9: 3968)|
|Vibration Reduction (VR)||Lens shift VR|
||ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, Auto (auto gain ISO 100-1600), Fixed range auto (ISO 100-400, 100-800)|
|Power sources||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL12 (supplied), Charging AC Adapter EH-68P/EH-68P (AR) (supplied), AC Adapter EH-62F (optional), Battery Charger MH-65 (optional)|
|Battery life||Approx. 270 shots with EN-EL12 battery|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||Approx. 91 x 55 x 20.5 mm (3.6 x 2.2 x 0.8 in.) excluding projections|
|Weight||Approx. 110 g (3.9 oz.) without battery and SD/SDHC memory card|
|Supplied accessories*2||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL12, Charging AC Adapter EH-68P/EH-68P (AR), USB Cable UC-E6, Audio Video Cable EG-CP14, Strap AN-CP19, Software Suite CD-ROM|
|Optional accessories||AC Adapter EH-62F, Battery Charger MH-65|
- *1Not compatible with Multi Media Cards (MMC).
- *2Supplied accessories may differ by country or area.
|OS||Macintosh: Mac OS X (version 10.3.9, 10.4.11, 10.5.6, 10.5.7)
Windows: Preinstalled versions of Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (32-bit Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Enterprise/Ultimate editions), Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Home Edition/Professional)
|Note||CD-ROM drive required for installation. Only built-in USB ports are supported.|
- Microsoft®, Windows® and Windows Vista™ are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
Macintosh®, Mac® OS and QuickTime® are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple Inc. in the United States and/or other countries.
The SDHC logo is a trademark. PictBridge is a trademark.
The FotoNation logo is a trademark.
CompactFlash® and Extreme® are registered trademarks of SanDisk Corporation.
Products and brand names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
Images on displays shown in this brochure are simulated.
- Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
- The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.