Digital-SLR camera Nikon D7000
September 15, 2010
Introducing a new line of mid-class, high-spec Nikon DX-format cameras.
A compact, elegant body equipped with a new CMOS image sensor and a new image-processing engine, EXPEED 2
TOKYO – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of the Nikon D7000, a model that introduces a new line of mid-class Nikon DX-format digital-SLR cameras. The camera is equipped with a new CMOS image sensor and a new image-processing engine, EXPEED 2, that enable capture of high-definition images exhibiting superior image quality. It also offers a number of advanced high-performance features packed into a compact, elegant body.
The following lens kit will also be released.
D7000 and AF-S DX 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
The D7000 is a new mid-class DX-format camera with a compact body loaded with a number of advanced functions.
As the D-SLR market expands, D-SLR users are becoming more diverse to include those who demand the ability to capture images with greater definition and image quality, those looking for more advanced shooting functions, and those looking for the ability to record movies with the rich power of expression that is only possible with SLR cameras. The D7000 is a high-quality mid-class D-SLR that responds to user demands with a variety of the latest camera technologies and functions for high-quality, high-definition shooting, all in a durable, high-performance, yet compact body. Among its features are a new DX-format CMOS image sensor, Nikon's latest image-processing engine, EXPEED 2, a new 2,016-pixel metering sensor, a new AF system that utilizes 39 focus points, and the D-Movie function that enables recording of full HD movies.
D7000 primary features
1. A new DX-format CMOS image sensor and new image-processing engine, EXPEED 2, both developed by Nikon enable capture of high-definition images with superior image quality
The D7000 is equipped with a new Nikon DX-format CMOS image sensor and a new image-processing engine, EXPEED 2. The camera offers an effective pixel count of 16.2-million pixels and enables capture of high-definition images exhibiting superior image quality with extremely detailed rendering and rich tones with smooth gradations. With standard sensitivity range of ISO100 - 6400 and additional increases up to Hi 2 (ISO 25600 equivalent), the camera offers improved capability with shooting under dim lighting, such as in the evening or indoors, and also expands possibilities for expression with rapidly moving subjects.
EXPEED 2 is Nikon's latest image-processing engine developed with the ideas, know-how and technologies regarding digital images that Nikon has cultivated over the years. EXPEED 2 enables faster image processing, a high level of noise reduction, better color reproduction characteristics, and reduced power consumption.
2. A compact, elegant body that offers both authenticity and flexibility
A magnesium alloy has been adopted for the top and rear covers for increased durability in a size equivalent to that of the D90. All joints on the camera body have also been sealed to ensure a greater level of water and dust resistance.
3. A new 2,016-pixel RGB metering sensor
With 2,016 pixels, the new metering sensor developed for the D7000 offers twice the metering pixels as our previous high-end metering sensor. Prior to shooting, the 2,016-pixel RGB sensor acquires accurate information regarding the scene. That information is then reflected in autofocusing, automatic exposure, i-TTL balanced fill-flash, and auto white balance control for extremely faithful images.
4. A new 39-point AF system
- An AF sensor module with 39 effective focus points
- Adoption of the new Multi-CAM4800DX autofocus sensor module enables certain acquisition and tracking of the intended subject with 39 focus points.
Nine cross-type sensors at the most frequently used center of the frame allow for certain acquisition of the intended subject.
In addition, the number of active focus points can also be limited to 11.
- Superior subject acquisition and tracking performance
- Depending upon the scene or subject, the AF-area mode can be selected from Single-point AF, Dynamic-area AF, 3D-tracking and Auto-area AF. Wide focus areas containing a large number of focus points work together to accurately acquire and track the subject
5. D-Movie for recording and editing of full HD movies
The D7000 is equipped with the D-Movie function that enables recording of high-definition movies (1920 x 1080p, 24 fps) exhibiting superior video quality. Autofocusing during movie recording is possible using contrast-detect AF. When the focus mode is set to Full time-servo AF (AF-F) and the AF-area mode to Subject-tracking AF, the camera automatically maintains focus on a subject moving throughout the frame in three dimensions. The D7000 also offers in-camera movie editing functions that allow users to save a single frame as a still JPEG image or delete unnecessary portions from the beginning or end of movie files.
Recording of stereo sound via an external microphone is also supported.
Other functions and features new to the D7000
- A glass pentaprism for viewfinder frame coverage of approximately 100% and magnification of approximately 0.94x
- High-speed continuous shooting of up to 100 shots at approximately 6 fps, and a very precise and durable shutter unit that has passed testing for 150,000 cycles
- New U1 and U2 settings on the mode dial allow users to assign frequently used settings, including ISO sensitivity and exposure compensation, to these positions for instant recall of the registered settings by simply rotating the mode dial
- Live view function that can be smoothly enabled with the dedicated live view switch
- Double SD memory card slot that enable use of two SD memory cards (SDHC, SDXC also supported)
- The Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL15, which enables capture about 1,050 shots when fully charged
- Support for the new Multi-Power Battery Pack MB-D11 (sold separately), which holds not only Rechargeable Li-ion Batteries EN-EL15, but also AA batteries
- Nikon's image browsing and editing software, ViewNX 2, supplied with purchase
Nikon D7000 digital-SLR camera primary specifications
|Type||Single-lens reflex digital camera|
|Lens mount||Nikon F mount (with AF coupling and AF contacts)|
|Effective pixels||16.2 million|
|Image sensor||23.6 x 15.6 mm CMOS sensor|
|Image size (pixels)||
|File format||1) NEF(RAW), 2)JPEG, 3)NEF(RAW)+JPEG|
|Media||SD (Secure Digital) memory cards*1,
SDHC and SDXC compliant
|Frame advance rate||
CL:1 to 5frames fps*
|ISO sensitivity||ISO 100 to 6400, can be set up to approx. 2 EV (ISO 25600 equivalent) above ISO 6400; auto ISO sensitivity control available|
|Movie||Frame size (pixels) and frame rate:
[NTSC] 1,920 x 1,080; 24p - 1,280 x 720; 30p - 1,280 x 720; 24p - 640 x 424; 30p
[PAL] 1,920 x 1,080; 24p - 1,280 x 720;25p - 1,280 x 720;24p - 640 x 424; 25p
Maximum Recording Time:Approx.20 min.
File format/Video compression: MOV, H.264/MPEG-4 Advanced Video Cording
Audio recording device; Built-in monaural or external stereo microphone
|Monitor||3-in., approx. 921k-dot, TFT LCD with brightness adjustment|
|Power source||Battery; One rechargeable Li-ion battery EN-EL15
AC adapter(optional);EH-5a AC adapter; requires EP-5B power connector
(W x H x D)
|132 X 105 X 77mm|
|Weight (approx.)||690g without battery, memory card, or body cap,
780g;with battery and memory card but without body cap
|Major supplied accessories||Rechargeable Li-ion battery EN-EL15, Battery charger MH-25, Camera strap AN-DC1, USB cable, Audio video cable,ViewNX 2 CD-ROM|
- *1Not applied to Multi Media Card
- *Unless otherwise stated, all figures are for a camera with a fully-charged battery operating at an ambient temperature of 20°C (68°F).
- *Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.