Advanced Camera with Interchangeable Lenses Nikon 1 J2
1 NIKKOR 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6
Waterproof Case WP-N1
August 9, 2012
The latest addition to the Nikon 1 J series, which makes a wide variety of forms of imaging expression fun and easy
A new compact 1 NIKKOR standard zoom lens will also be released in a variety of colors
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of the Nikon 1 J2, the latest addition to the Nikon 1 J series, advanced camera with iinterchangeable lenses, that propose new forms of imaging expression. The J2 offers a number of improvements in design and usability.
Nikon 1 cameras offer superior basic performance, as well as new forms of imaging expression and the enjoyment that goes along with them. In addition to the high-speed performance achieved with an advanced hybrid AF system that ensures certain capture of the intended subject under a wide variety of circumstances, Nikon 1 cameras are also equipped with Nikon's exclusive compact and lightweight Nikon 1 lens mount. The cameras also enable new imaging experiences with features such as Motion Snapshot and Smart Photo Selector.
In addition to the performance achieved with previous Nikon 1 cameras, the J2 also offers a number of improvements in terms of design and usability. An elegant design utilizing metal has been adopted, and the number of colors in which the camera is available has been increased to six, allowing users better expression of personal preference and individuality. A new Creative mode has been added to the four original shooting modes available on the mode dial, allowing for easy specification of the desired shooting scenes from a total of eight options, including Night Landscape. What's more, the J2 can be turned on or off using the retractable lens barrel button on applicable lenses, and monitor visibility has been increased with adoption of a high-resolution, 921k-dot LCD monitor.
The J2 is an excellent camera for those looking for a high-performance camera that offers a variety of functions, yet for whom simple operation is a requirement. It is an excellent choice for users accustomed to the portability and simple, familiar operation of a compact digital camera looking to take the next step to an advanced camera with interchangeable lense system.
Along with the J2, Nikon will also be releasing the new CX-format compatible 1 NIKKOR 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 2.5x standard zoom lens, which covers the 11–27.5-mm range of focal lengths (angle of view equivalent to 30–74-mm in 35-mm  format). The 1 NIKKOR 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 is smaller and lighter than the current 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 standard zoom lens for greater portability. It will be available in the same six colors as the J2, allowing for an integrated look for the camera and lens.
The new Waterproof Case WP-N1, compatible with the Nikon 1 J1 and J2 (with the 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6) will also be released. With the ability to capture high-resolution still images while recording movies, this new accessory increases the ways in which users will enjoy underwater recording by never missing the perfect photo opportunity.
Nikon 1 J2 Primary Featuress
1. High-definition, high-speed AF for movies and still images
The advanced hybrid AF system that offers both incredibly fast focusing and superior definition
The advanced hybrid AF system combines phase-detection AF, which enables fast focusing and excellent tracking performance for moving subjects, with contrast-detect AF, which achieves superior performance even under dim lighting. As the camera automatically chooses the best AF system according to the subject and shooting conditions, instantaneous focusing on any subject is always possible. With extremely fast and accurate AF tracking capability, the camera is also perfect for photographing moving subjects.
A super high-speed AF CMOS image sensor that enables high-speed, high-performance AF
The super high-speed AF CMOS image sensor developed by Nikon is compatible with Nikon's new CX format. With the addition of this CX format, Nikon has added a new imaging format to its existing FX and DX formats for digital-SLR cameras. Focal-plane phase-detection AF is built into the sensor, enabling the world's fastest autofocusing*1, as well as the most focus points*2–73 with phase-detection AF–available with any camera in the world. The sensor supports standard imaging sensitivities of ISO 100–3200 with an additional Hi 1 (equivalent to ISO 6400) setting for superior sensitivity performance. It also enables high-speed continuous shooting at approximately 10 fps with AF tracking. When focus is locked, continuous shooting of full-resolution images at hight-speed continuous shooting rate of 60 fps*3 is also possible. These features ensure certain capture of decisive moments with a variety of scenes, whether photographing the antics of children or animals at play, or action-packed sporting events.
- *1Among interchangeable-lens digital cameras available as of August 9, 2012. Statement based on performance with shooting using the 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 at the maximum wide-angle position with AF-area mode set to single-point. Results based on testing in accordance with Nikon guidelines.
- *2Among interchangeable-lens digital cameras available as of August 9, 2012. Refers to the number of phase-detection AF points available for selection at an AF-area mode setting of single-point. Statement based on research conducted by Nikon.
- *3The maximum number of shots per burst is 12. Maximum shooting rate when focus is locked with the first shot in a burst. Results based on Nikon test conditions as of August 9, 2012.
EXPEED 3 for faster image processing with better performance
The J2 is equipped with EXPEED 3, Nikon's exclusive comprehensive image-processing concept optimized for the Nikon 1 system for superior high-speed image processing. Users can experience the full potential of EXPEED 3 when using features such as Motion Snapshot or Smart Photo Selector, which require high-speed processing, as well as with the ability to capture full-resolution still images while recording full-HD movies.
2. An attractive appearance that will make users proud to keep the camera with them wherever they go
The world's most compact* and lightweight camera system
Nikon has achieved the world's most compact* and lightweight camera body, with which Nikon's exclusive Nikon 1 mount has been adopted. The system allows users to easily enjoy stress-free photography in any situation.
- *As of August 9, 2012. Among interchangeable-lens digital cameras equipped with image sensors of the same size, or larger than, the CX format size. Statement based on research conducted by Nikon.
Designed with metal for an elegant look and feel
Metal has been adopted for components including the camera's top cover and mode dial for a better texture and increased elegance. A new face has been added to some models with adoption of a textured finish on the front cover that is well suited to the feel of the new metal components (red and pink models only).
Six color options suited to a variety of individual preferences
The J2 is available in six colors, allowing users to choose the color best suited to their individual style or preference. In addition to the five colors available with the J1, the J2 will also be available in a vivid new orange. Depending upon the color selected, the camera back will be either black or dark brown. In addition, the barrels of kit lenses are the same color as the camera bodies for an integrated look not expected of interchangeable-lens cameras.
3. New forms of imaging expression
Motion Snapshot combines a full-HD movie vignette with a still image for more dramatic imaging expression
In Motion Snapshot mode, simply pressing the shutter-release button records a still image and about a second of movie footage beginning before and ending after the time the shutter-release button was pressed. Movies recorded in Motion Snapshot mode are played back in slow motion. When Motion Snapshot files are played back, the movie vignette is played in slow motion over approximately 2.5 seconds, followed by display of the still image. Playback of the entire sequence, with pre-selected background music, lasts approximately 10 seconds.
Don't just preserve still images of precious moments. Use this new form of imaging to combine slow-motion movie vignettes with still images to record emotional scenes from weddings or birthdays, to show just how cute children or pets are at play, or to capture impressive scenes from nature such as a breeze blowing through the trees or the flow of water. Add the slow-motion movie recorded with Motion Snapshot to slide shows played back with the camera to create your own original movies.
Motion Snapshot allows users to record dramatic and original imaging works using conventional shooting operations. Use this feature to enjoy a new form of imaging expression that combines a movie vignette, still image, and background music.
Smart Photo Selector for simple capture of the best shot
When the shutter-release button is pressed halfway in Smart Photo Selector mode, the camera begins recording images to the memory buffer. When the shutter-release button is pressed the rest of the way down, 20 shots, buffered at a rate of 30 fps both before and after the shutter-release button was pressed all the way down, are initial candidates for best shots. Once buffering is complete, the camera automatically eliminates images that are blurred, or in which the primary subject is not included in the frame, to choose the best five candidates based on movement and composition to record to the memory card. From the five candidates, the camera then chooses the best image to display in the monitor.
Smart Photo Selector is an excellent function for capturing images of children or animals whose movements can be quick and erratic, as well as any time you don't want to miss the perfect shot. This feature also eliminates the need to re-take pictures and helps to save space on memory cards when taking group shots at parties or on trips as it frequently eliminates shots in which people's eyes are closed. You no longer need to capture a large number of shots and then go through them manually to find the best photo. By simply pressing the shutter-release button as usual, Smart Photo Selector does all the work for you.
4. Superior image quality with both still images and movies
High-resolution still images (3840 x 2160 pixels–approx. 8.3 megapixels, 16 : 9) can be recorded while recording movies in movie mode without interrupting movie recording. This allows users to enjoy recording both full-HD movies and high-resolution still images without having to choose between the two.
5. Improved usability
The mode dial on the first Nikon 1 cameras (Nikon 1 V1, Nikon 1 J1) offered four shooting modes: Motion Snapshot mode, Smart Photo Selector mode, still image mode, and movie mode. The new J2 mode dial offers Motion Snapshot mode, Smart Photo Selector mode, auto photo mode, movie mode, and the new Creative mode. Easily enjoy a variety of forms of imaging expression by simply choosing one of the scenes available in Creative mode–Night Landscape, Night Portrait, Backlighting, Easy Panorama, Soft, Miniature Effect, Selective Color, four exposure modes–prior to shooting. In addition, assist images, displayed with scene selection, have been built into the camera to show the sorts of results you can expect from each Creative mode scene.
Layout of operational controls
The J2X1030 offers a mode dial with five shooting modes for simple shooting preparation by simply rotating the mode dial to the desired mode. J2 dials and other controls are larger than with the camera's predecessor, making them easier to see and enabling smoother operation. What's more, the camera can be turned on or off using the retractable lens barrel button on applicable lenses*. With power control linked to the lens retractable lens barrel button, one less step is required when photo opportunities suddenly present themselves, or when putting the camera away after shooting, for overall smoother operation.
- *Compatible lenses: 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6, 1 NIKKOR VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6, 1 NIKKOR 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6
LCD monitor with higher resolution
The Nikon 1 J1 was equipped with a 3-inch, approximately 460k-dot, LCD monitor. The J2 is equipped with a 3-inch, approximately 921k-dot LCD monitor with wide viewing angle for greater definition and increased visibility.
Additional Nikon 1 J2 Features
- Supports the optional Mount Adapter FT1, which enables use of F-mount NIKKOR lenses
- Built-in flash that supports i-TTL flash control (raised manually)
- HDMI output for viewing images on high-definition televisions
- Support for Eye-Fi memory cards enables simple wireless transfer of images
- Comes with ViewNX 2, Nikon's basic image viewing and editing software for both still images and movies, as well as Short Movie Creator for creating your own short movies from still images and movies recorded with the camera. Collaboration with my Picturetown is simple
1 NIKKOR 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 Primary Features
- A Nikon CX-format compatible 2.5x standard zoom lens that covers the range of focal lengths from 11–27.5 mm (angle of view equivalent to that of 30–74-mm lens in 35-mm  format)
- Optics utilizing one aspherical lens element and one ED lens element optimized for the CX format
- Camera can be turned on and off using the retractable lens barrel button on the lens (J1 and V1 cannot be turned off using this button)
- Approximately 32 g lighter and approximately 11 mm shorter at maximum length than the 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6
- Retractable lens mechanism for increased portability
- Designed with an appearance that expresses high performance and elegance with a form that emphasizes its slim profile
- Available in the same six colors as the Nikon 1 J2
Waterproof Case WP-N1 Primary Features
- Lightweight, yet won't float up when let go for optimal underwater use
- Compact design with a firm grip
- Supports zooming
- Shutter lever and movie-record button positioned for smooth selection of, or switching between, shooting modes
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.