1 NIKKOR 18.5mm f/1.8
September 13, 2012
A new 1 NIKKOR lens for Nikon 1, Advanced Camera with Interchangeable lenses, Nikon proudly releases the 1 NIKKOR 18.5mm f/1.8, a fixed focal length lens with a fast maximum aperture of f/1.8 that is the lightest 1 NIKKOR lens to date
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of the new 1 NIKKOR 18.5mm f/1.8 for Nikon 1, advanced camera with interchangeable lenses.
The 1 NIKKOR 18.5mm f/1.8 is a normal, 18.5-mm (angle of view equivalent to 50 mm in 35-mm  format) fixed focal length (prime) lens with the fastest maximum aperture, f/1.8, in the 1 NIKKOR lineup. Its lightweight size makes it conveniently portable. Adoption of an aspherical lens element to the latest optical design results in extremely sharp rendering, as well as reproduction that expresses the beautiful blur characteristics and three-dimensional feel expected of a fixed focal length lens. As the lens itself is so fast, it is not only capable of capturing sharp, blur-free images indoors under dim lighting without increasing ISO sensitivity, but it also supports incredibly fast shutter speeds up to 1/16,000 s, enabling capture of photos utilizing the lens' beautiful blur characteristics even outdoors on bright, sunny days. With a weight of approximately 70 g, the 1 NIKKOR 18.5mm f/1.8 is the lightest lens in the 1 NIKKOR lineup, making it extremely easy to carry around. When used with the compact and lightweight Nikon 1 J1, J2 or V1, the incredible portability of the entire system makes it easy to take additional lenses wherever you go, increasing the possibilities and enjoyment of photography in any situation.
The 1 NIKKOR 18.5mm f/1.8 is a single lens perfectly suited to those new to fixed focal length lenses as it easily allows users to expand their power of expression through interchangeable lenses. It is best suited to scenes in which a portrait subject stands out clearly from a beautifully blurred background, whether it be at a party or other special event, or with standard portraits.
1 NIKKOR lenses continue in the tradition of the Nikon F mount, which has a history that goes back more than half a century. 1 NIKKOR lenses employ the new Nikon 1 mount, and are developed for use with Nikon 1 cameras. The optical technologies and superior image quality Nikon has long cultivated along with the latest cutting edge technologies adopted for NIKKOR lenses ensure sharp rendering not only with still images, but also movies. The 1 NIKKOR 18.5mm f/1.8 is the sixth lens in the 1 NIKKOR lineup, following the 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 normal zoom lens, the 1 NIKKOR VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 compact telephoto zoom lens, the 1 NIKKOR 10mm f/2.8 slim, wide-angle, fixed focal length lens, and the 1 NIKKOR VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM lens equipped with a power-drive mechanism recommended for movie recording all released last year, as well as the 1 NIKKOR 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 2.5x normal zoom lens.
1 NIKKOR 18.5mm f/1.8 Primary Features
- A normal, 18.5-mm (angle of view equivalent to 50 mm in 35-mm  format) fixed focal length lens for the CX format with the fastest maximum aperture, f/1.8, in the 1 NIKKOR lineup. Supports extremely fast shutter speeds (up to 1/16,000 s) for capture of images at maximum aperture to utilize the beautiful blur characteristics, even outdoors under very bright lighting. The fast aperture also supports capture of sharp, blur-free images of darker scenes, such as indoors under dim lighting, with hand-held shooting without increasing ISO sensitivity.
- With a weight of approximately 70 g, the 1 NIKKOR 18.5mm f/1.8 is the lightest lens in the 1 NIKKOR lineup, making it the perfect lens to keep with you wherever you go to capture everyday scenes.
- Extremely sharp rendering from new optics utilizing an aspherical lens element
- An elegant design utilizing lines with a mirror-like finish and metal texture; available in three very practical colors (black, white, silver)
- A minimum focus distance of just 0.2 m ensures excellent support for close-up photography.
- Support for the lightweight HB-N104 lens hood, which helps to reduce ghost and flare (HB-N104 available separately; available only in black)
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.