Nikon Speedlight SB-500
September 12, 2014
A compact and lightweight Speedlight offering convenient portability and a built-in LED light
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of the SB-500, a compact and lightweight Speedlight offering convenient portability.
The SB-500 is an easy-to-use, compact and lightweight Speedlight powered by AA-size batteries and equipped with a high-performance LED light optimized for photography of art and other objects and close distances. The SB-500 is optimized for use with cameras compatible with the Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS)*. It works as both a master flash unit and a remote flash unit with wireless multiple flash-unit photography, allowing users to enjoy flexible expression using various light sources.
- *Nikon FX-/DX-format digital SLR cameras (except D1 series and D100), F6, and CLS-compatible COOLPIX compact digital cameras
SB-500 Primary Features
1. Compact and lightweight, powered by AA-size batteries, intuitive operation
With its guide number of 24/78.7 (23°C/73.4°F, ISO 100, m/ft), the compact and lightweight SB-500 offers superior portability and is easy to use as it is powered by two readily available AA-size batteries (alkaline, rechargeable Ni-MH). Its flash head can be tilted up to 90° up and rotated horizontally up to 180° to the left and right, allowing users to enjoy natural lighting effects with reflection of the flash off a ceiling or wall using bounce flash photography. In addition, simple positioning of operational buttons and switches makes the SB-500 easy to use.
2. Equipped with a high-performance LED light
The SB-500 is equipped with a very bright LED light. At approximately 100 lx (lux), this LED light provides the optimal brightness for recording movies and photographing objects at close distances. In addition to the ability to select from three levels of brightness, adoption of a diffusion panel for a surface light source enables soft lighting. The SB-500 also supports the Flash Color Information Communication function built into the Nikon D810 and D750 digital SLR cameras, and the camera uses flash color temperature information from the LED light to automatically apply the optimal white balance setting.
3. Easily achieves diverse lighting
The SB-500 supports six functions* available with the Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS) and Nikon's exclusive Speedlight system, all with simple operation. It can be used as either a master flash unit or a remote flash unit with wireless multiple flash-unit photography, enabling more creative expression that makes the most of light with control over diverse light sources from a variety of angles.
- *i-TTL flash control, Advanced Wireless Lighting, modeling flash, FV lock, Flash Color Information Communication, auto FP high-speed sync. AF-assist illumination for multi-point AF is not supported.
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacture.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.