Nikon releases the D3500 digital SLR camera
August 30, 2018
An entry-level model that makes it easy to share impressive photos using a smart device
Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the release of the Nikon D3500, an entry-level Nikon DX-format digital SLR camera.
The D3500 has an effective pixel count of 24.2 megapixels, and supports a standard sensitivity range of ISO 100-25600. When used with a NIKKOR lens, it makes the capture of a wide variety of scenes simpler and more enjoyable, with the superior image quality and beautiful blur characteristics (bokeh) expected of a digital SLR. The D3500 is constructed with the same slim and lightweight monocoque structure as the Nikon D5600, and a deep grip that offers an easy hold on the camera, which allows for more comfortable shooting. A new layout for operational controls, including an even larger playback button, and adjustment and concentration of the most important buttons at right on the back of the camera, enables operation that is smooth and intuitive, even for beginners.
In addition, a constant connection*1 between the D3500 and a smart device*2 is possible using the SnapBridge app and Bluetooth® technology. JPEG thumbnails (2 megapixels) of images captured with the camera can be automatically transferred*3 to the smart device, and the latest version of the app, SnapBridge Ver. 2.5, can be used to control remote capture of still images from the smart device, over a Bluetooth® connection, enabling use in a wider variety of situations.
The D3500 is an easy-to-use, entry-level model that not only makes it possible for users to readily capture the impressive photos expected of a digital SLR camera, but also makes it easy to share your favorite photos via SNS using a smart device.
- *1As from SnapBridge version 2.5, the automatic connection between camera and smart device is "OFF" in default setting. Turn it to "ON" during pairing in order to activate automatic transfer.
- *2iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch®, and Android™ devices to which the SnapBridge app has been installed can be used. The SnapBridge app can be downloaded free of charge from the App Store® and Google Play™. See Nikon's website for further information.
- *3Automatic transfer of original JPEG images and movies is not supported. Original JPEG images can be transferred manually over a Bluetooth® connection, but the transfer of RAW images and movies is not supported.
- 1.Superior basic performance that supports the beautiful capture of a wide variety of scenes
Offering an effective pixel count of 24.2 megapixels and equipped with a Nikon DX-format CMOS sensor with no optical low-pass filter, the D3500 is able to capture images that make the most of the superior resolving power of NIKKOR lenses. The camera supports the broad ISO 100-25600 range of standard sensitivities that enables the beautiful capture of dimly lit indoor scenes and night landscapes at high sensitivities with hand-held shooting.
- 2.A functional design that even beginners will find easy to operate
The D3500 is constructed with the same slim monocoque structure as the Nikon D5600, for which a completely new design was adopted. The hold on the camera while shooting and applying settings has been improved with a deep grip and wider spacing for the thumb on the back of the camera. A new layout for operational controls, including an even larger playback button and concentration of the most frequently used buttons at right on the back of the camera, makes operation even smoother and more intuitive.
- 3.Automatic transfer of photos captured with the camera to a smart device for immediate sharing
A constant connection between the camera and a smart device is possible using the SnapBridge app and Bluetooth® technology. Not only can photos captured with the camera be automatically transferred to a smart device*1, but they can also be automatically uploaded to Nikon's photo sharing service, NIKON IMAGE SPACE*2. The SnapBridge app supports a number of other features*3 as well, including the ability to attach copyright information and comments to images, and to automatically synchronize camera date/time and location information with that of the smart device.
- *1iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch®, and Android™ devices to which the SnapBridge app has been installed can be used. The SnapBridge app can be downloaded free of charge from the App Store® and Google Play™. See Nikon's website for further information.
- *2There is no limit to the number or size of JPEG thumbnail images (2 megapixels) that can be automatically uploaded from the SnapBridge app. Storage for original JPEG images is limited to 20 GB. A Nikon ID must be registered to take advantage of this feature.
- *3The D3500 is not equipped with Wi-Fi capability. Therefore, some SnapBridge features available for use with other Nikon cameras may not be supported, or may function differently when used with the D3500. Remote photography over a Bluetooth® connection is possible using the SnapBridge Ver. 2.5 app.
- 4.Increased battery performance (life) for worry-free use
Approximately 1,550 shots* are possible with a single charge. This allows users to concentrate on capturing as many photos as they wish, without worrying that their battery will be exhausted, at special events or while traveling.
- *Measured in accordance with CIPA standards; still images captured in single-frame release mode with Bluetooth® disabled.
- ·The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Nikon Corporation is under license.
- ·Wi-Fi® and the Wi-Fi® logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of the Wi-Fi Alliance.
- ·Apple®, App Store®, the Apple logos, iPhone®, iPad®, and iPod touch® are trademarks of Apple Inc. registered in the U.S. and/or other countries.
- ·Android™ and Google Play™ are trademarks of Google Inc.
- ·Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.
Trade names (companies, products, services, etc.) are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.