Nikon releases the NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 (SE), a compact and lightweight prime lens for the Nikon Z mount system
December 14, 2022
A heritage design that matches the Nikon Z fc
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the release of the NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 (SE), a compact and lightweight prime lens, compatible with full-frame/FX-format mirrorless cameras for which the Nikon Z mount has been adopted.
The NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 (SE) is a compact and lightweight standard prime lens with a heritage design that matches the Nikon Z fc body. The "(SE)" in the product name is short for "Special Edition". The lens inherits its design features, such as the knurled control ring, from the classic NIKKOR lenses released around the same time as the Nikon FM2 film SLR camera. The NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 (SE) expands the choice of lenses which suit the Z fc's heritage design.
The optical performance of the NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 (SE) is the same as that of the NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2. Its f/2 maximum aperture allows users to easily enjoy imaging expression including beautiful, round-shaped bokeh. With a total length of approximately 45.5 mm and weight of approximately 170 g, its compact size and light weight makes it easy to take it anywhere. The lens is ideal for a wide variety of scenes and subjects, including portraits that utilize bokeh, snapshots, and photos of still objects, with a highly versatile standard angle of view offered by the lens' 40-mm focal length. When used with an APS-C size/DX-format camera like the Z fc, the lens offers a mid-telephoto angle of view equivalent to that of a 60-mm lens (in 35mm  format) that serves to emphasize the primary subject.
As well as its superior optical performance, effective AF, and dust- and drip-resistance*, the NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 (SE) is designed to blend seamlessly with the user's aesthetic, enhancing the joy of shooting and ownership.
Nikon will continue to pursue a new dimension in optical performance while meeting users' needs, contributing to the development of imaging culture, with the hope of expanding possibilities for imaging expression.
- *Thorough dust- and drip-resistance is not guaranteed under all conditions or in all situations.
- Adoption of a heritage design inspired by the classic NIKKOR lenses released around the same time as the FM2, which matches the Z fc body.
- The bright maximum aperture of f/2 and a 9-blade iris diaphragm provide beautiful round-shaped bokeh.
- The 40-mm focal length supports a standard angle of view ideal for shooting portraits, snapshots and other subjects in a wide variety of scenes.
- The focal length becomes 60 mm (equivalent to 35mm  format) when mounted on an APS-C size camera.
- The compact and lightweight body has a total length of approximately 45.5 mm and weight of approximately 170 g.
- The minimum focus distance of 0.29 m allows users to get closer to their subjects.
- Adoption of an STM (stepping motor) enables high-speed and accurate AF with quiet operational sounds while maintaining a compact body size.
- Designed with consideration for dust- and drip-resistant performance so that it can be taken anywhere with greater confidence.
- Functions such as aperture and exposure compensation can be assigned to the control ring.
- Designed with consideration for video recording with extremely quiet operation, effective focus-breathing compensation, and stable exposure.
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.