Realizing outstanding optical performance and bestowed with a special name
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the release of the NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena, a mid-telephoto prime lens that is compatible with full-frame/FX-format mirrorless cameras for which the Nikon Z mount has been adopted.
The NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena is an S-Line* lens, and takes full advantage of the Z mount system's large-diameter mount that unlocks further possibilities for lens design, as well as the potential for large and consistent distribution of light. This realizes beautiful, well-rounded bokeh throughout the entire frame even at maximum aperture, and outstanding sharpness and clarity regardless of the shooting distance — resulting in the fantastic expression of delicate textures and beautiful bokeh in both portraits and landscapes.
The lens' exterior design is intended to match its superior optical performance. The metal lens barrel features an engraved "Plena" logo, using the same yellow, cursive font as the NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct. The name "Plena" is derived from the term plenum, which denotes the state of a space being completely full, and adopted to reflect the lens' ability to support the user's creative vision with beautiful, well-rounded bokeh of outstanding sharpness and clarity. Following in the footsteps of the NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct, the NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena has been bestowed with a unique name in the hopes that it will be treasured by users for many years to come.
Nikon will continue to pursue a new dimension in optical performance while meeting users' needs, contributing to the development of imaging culture, with the hope of expanding possibilities for imaging expression.
- *The S-Line is a grade of NIKKOR Z lenses that demonstrate outstanding optical performance, adhering to a high standard of design principles and quality control.
- Beautiful, well-rounded bokeh is achieved throughout the entire frame, while also supporting a fast f/1.8 maximum aperture. Fantastic expression that accentuates the three-dimensionality of the subject is achieved through the smooth gradation of bokeh that expands largely in front of and behind the focal plane, and the minimal color fringing of the bokeh.
- The large amount of peripheral light at f/1.8 maximum aperture ensures a consistently bright image all the way to the edges of the frame, for a sense of transparency and brilliance in images.
- With the outstanding sharpness and clarity distinct to S-Line lenses, the NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena expresses the delicate textures in hair and skin, while top-class point-image reproduction capability achieves thorough rendering of night landscapes.
- Adoption of a multi-focusing system*1 that uses stepping motors (STMs) realizes fast, accurate, and quiet AF drive, and enables accurate focusing, even at maximum aperture, for still images and video.
- In addition to Meso Amorphous Coat, the most effective anti-reflection coating in Nikon history that prevents reflections regardless of the direction from which light enters the lens, Nikon's original ARNEO Coat is also used to effectively reduce ghosts and flares.
- Its premium design, which includes an engraved "Plena" logo on the metal lens barrel, offers a sense of sophistication.
- A design that takes video recording into consideration with quiet operation and stable exposure, as well as functions including focus-breathing suppression*2 that effectively reduces shifting of the angle of view when focusing.
- Two lens Fn buttons, to which a wide variety of functions can be assigned, are adopted. One is positioned on the top of the lens, enabling smooth adjustment of settings even when shooting in vertical orientation.
- The versatile 82-mm filter-attachment size enables the use of various lens filters designed to satisfy users' creative intent.
- Designed to achieve superior dust- and drip-resistant performance*3, and equipped with an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism for stable aperture control during high-speed continuous shooting.
- *1Multiple AF drive units work together to control the position of multiple focus lens groups with great precision for superior image formation performance regardless of shooting distance.
- *2Focus breathing may be noticeable depending on the distance between the lens and the subject due to the characteristics of the lens.
- *3Thorough dust- and drip-resistance is not guaranteed in all situations or under all conditions.
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.