Digital Compact Camera Nikon COOLPIX S5100
August 17, 2010
Equipped with features that enable the simple capture of beautiful nighttime shots that are crisp and clear even with handheld shooting
TOKYO – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of the COOLPIX S5100, a COOLPIX S-series model that incorporates advanced functions in a stylish design.
According to Nikon user surveys, the primary complaint with compact digital cameras is the inability to take satisfactory photos that capture the intended moment or the ambience of a location. Specifically, 1. The inability to capture sharp, clear images under dim lighting, 2. Troubles shooting at night, and 3. Unnatural results when the flash is used. In response, Nikon equipped the COOLPIX S8000 (with 10x optical zoom lens) and COOLPIX S6000 (with 7x optical zoom lens), both released in the spring of 2010, with four features—less noise at high sensitivities, motion detection function, lens-shift vibration reduction (VR) function, new flash control system—that enabled capture of beautiful nighttime shots with less blur and noise. The capabilities of these two compact digital cameras were extremely well received.
The new COOLPIX S5100 has been developed to enable the simple, blur-free capture of nighttime shots with less noise. In addition to the four nighttime shooting technologies mentioned above, the camera is equipped with a new function that enables the camera to automatically distinguish between hand-held shooting and shooting with the camera mounted on a tripod and provide the optimum response to shooting conditions regardless of lighting levels. What's more, the COOLPIX S5100 offers features that ensure the certain capture of those once-in-a-lifetime moments in beautiful photos. Among these features are the high-definition movie recording function, the high-speed power-up and response that Nikon is known for, and the smart portrait function.
With global positioning as a standard model in the COOLPIX lineup, the COOLPIX S5100 offers features that will exceed user expectations in a slim body at a very reasonable price.
S5100 Primary Features
1.Equipped with five functions that enable capture of beautiful nighttime shots in difficult dimly lit or dark surroundings
(1) Low noise at high sensitivities
Optimization of the new image-processing engine, EXPEED C2, developed in accordance with Nikon's own image-processing concept, offers support for high sensitivities. Superior noise-reduction processing technology reduces noise and ensures excellent image quality in pictures taken at sensitivities up to ISO 1600 with automatic ISO sensitivity adjustment, and up to ISO 3200 with manual ISO sensitivity specification.
(2) Motion detection
The camera detects camera shake and subject movement with shooting, and automatically compensates by controlling shutter speed and ISO sensitivity.
(3) Lens-shift vibration reduction (VR) function
Blurring caused by camera shake is reduced to a degree equivalent to a three-stop increase in shutter speed.
(4) Flash control
- High-sensitivity sync:
- Enables bright, natural looking photos with less blur, even in dimly lit or dark surroundings.
- Wide-area backlighting identification algorithm:
- Reduces the number of unsatisfactory shots taken in backlight situations for more beautiful photos.
(5) Hand-held/tripod night landscape detection function
When shooting night landscapes and other nighttime shots, the camera automatically distinguishes between hand-held shooting and shooting using a tripod, and then adjusts ISO sensitivity and shutter speed accordingly. This is the first Nikon camera equipped with the hand-held/tripod night landscape detection function, which enables capture of nighttime shots with less blur. This function makes it possible to capture beautiful photos, as intended, with shooting of nighttime scenes that, until now, have often been blurred.
- With hand-held shooting:
- By automatically increasing ISO sensitivity and shutter speed, nighttime shots with less blur are possible.
- When a tripod is used:
- By automatically decreasing ISO sensitivity and shutter speed, brighter nighttime shots with less noise are possible.
2.Superior high-speed response that consistently captures the moment
With a power-up time of approximately 0.75 s*1, an autofocusing time of approximately 0.22 s*2, and a shooting time lag of roughly 0.3 s*2, the camera responds immediately to sudden photo opportunities and moving subjects. The COOLPIX S5100 offers the high-speed response that never misses those once-in-a-lifetime shots.
- *1:Power-up time measured according to CIPA guidelines.
- *2:Autofocusing time and shooting time lag measured according to Nikon standards: 28mm focal length (equivalent in 35mm  format), shooting distance of 2 m, ambient brightness of LV 10; images recorded to 4-GB Class 10 SDHC memory card
3.High-definition movie recording
The COOLPIX S5100 is equipped with a high-definition (1280 x 720, 30 fps) movie recording function for preserving exciting and memorable experiences in full. A dedicated movie-record button enables quick and simple movie recording.
4.Effective pixel count of 12.2 million pixels and a wide-angle 5x optical zoom NIKKOR lens
5.An elegant design that is slim and agile and a variety of color options
By emphasizing the rounded form with more curving around the edges, the design makes the camera appear slimmer and more agile. The black finish on the rear of the camera also emphasizes its slim shape. The camera has been designed with great attention to even the smallest details, including adoption of diamond cutting and a metal ring around the lens. The COOLPIX S5100 will also be available in five colors, from the most basic to more light-hearted and fun colors.
6.A wide variety of shooting functions that enable simple capture of beautiful photos
- The BSS (best shot selector) function with which the camera automatically shoots a series of up to ten sequential frames and saves the one with the sharpest focus
- Smart portrait mode for simpler capture of beautiful portraits
- The subject tracking function with which the camera automatically tracks the subject detected with face-priority AF
- Scene auto selector with which the camera identifies the type of subject and automatically applies the optimum settings
Nikon Digital Camera COOLPIX S5100 Specifications
|Effective pixels||12.2 million|
|Image sensor||1/2.3-in. type CCD; approx. 12.39 million total pixels|
|Lens||5X optical zoom, NIKKOR lens; 5.0-25.0mm (angle of view equivalent to that of 28-140 mm lens in 35mm  format); f/2.7-6.6; Digital zoom: Up to 2X (angle of view equivalent to that of approx. 280 mm lens in 35mm  format)|
|Focus range (from lens)||[W]: Approx. 45 cm to ∞ ,
[T]: Approx. 70 cm to ∞ ,
Macro mode: Approx. 2 cm to ∞ (wide-angle position)
|Monitor||6.7 cm , approx. 230k-dot, TFT LCD with anti-reflection coating and 5-level brightness adjustment|
|Storage media *1||Internal memory (approx. 32 MB), SD/SDHC memory card|
|ISO sensitivity||ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200
Auto (auto gain from ISO 100 to 1600)
Fixed range auto (ISO 100 to 400, 100 to 800)
|Power sources||One Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL10 (supplied)
AC Adapter EH-62D (available separately)
|Battery life *2
|Still pictures: Approx. 200 shots
Movies: Approx. 1 h 40 min (HD 720p)
|Dimensions (WxHxD)||Approx. 97.1 X 56.9 X 21.6 mm (excluding projections)|
|Weight||Approx. 132 g (including battery and SD memory card)|
|Supplied accessories *3||Camera Strap, Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL10, Charging AC Adapter EH-68P/EH-68P (AR), USB Cable UC-E6, Audio Video Cable EG-CP14, ViewNX 2 CD-ROM|
- Unless otherwise stated, all figures are for a camera with a fully-charged
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL12 operated at an ambient temperature of 25°C (77°F).
- *1Not compatible with Multi Media Cards (MMC).
- *2Based on Camera and Imaging Products Association (CIPA) standards for measuring the life of camera batteries.
- *3Supplied accessories may differ by country or area.
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.