Digital Compact Camera Nikon COOLPIX AW130/S33
February 10, 2015
High-performance outdoor COOLPIX AW130 offering superior shock- and cold-proofing, and waterproof to depths of approx. 30 m, and the COOLPIX S33 offering advanced functions for simple, worry-free operation for anyone, from children to adults
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of two new shockproof and waterproof COOLPIX-series compact digital cameras, the COOLPIX AW130 and the COOLPIX S33.
The AW130 is a tough, high-performance outdoor camera that is not only waterproof to depths of approximately 30 m, but also offers superior shock- and cold-proofing. Its compact body has an elegant design, and is equipped with a 5x optical zoom (up to 10x* with Dynamic Fine Zoom) NIKKOR lens that supports focal lengths beginning at the wide-angle 24 mm (equivalent focal length in 35mm  format) and a maximum aperture of f/2.8, making it well suited to use around town as well.
The S33 offers water- and shock-proofing performance, as well as intuitive operation, that enable worry-free use on vacation and with leisure activities, allowing anyone, from children to adults, to easily record beautiful photos and movies. It is also equipped with an Underwater Face Framing function that automatically detects and captures human faces under water, allowing the user to take pictures of people under water without submerging their own face.
- *At the maximum image size.
COOLPIX AW130 Primary Features
1. Extremely tough with waterproofing to depths of approx. 30 m, the ability to withstand the shock of falls from approx. 2.1 m, and the cold of temperatures as low as -10°C
The AW130 is waterproof to depths of approximately 30 m, allowing those with a recreational diver's license equivalent to the PADI's Advanced Open Water Diver license recognized the world over to record photos and movies while diving to approved depths without using a separate underwater housing. What's more, in addition to shock-proofing that withstands falls from approximately 2.1 m and cold-proofing to approximately -10°C, the camera's tough body is also designed to resist dust and sand for fun, worry-free use with both leisure activities and hard-core outdoor activities. The camera also supports the extremely portable, compact and lightweight Underwater Speedlight SB-N10 (also compatible with the Nikon 1 AW1)*, enabling the capture of beautiful photos with additional lighting of subjects at depths of 30 m where little surface light reaches.
- *Requires the Underwater Fiber-Optic Cable Adapter SR-CP10A and Underwater Fiber-Optic Cable SC-N10A, and the Underwater Bracket SK-N10A (all sold separately).
2. A NIKKOR lens offering focal lengths beginning at the wide-angle 24 mm (equivalent focal length in 35mm  format) and a maximum aperture of f/2.8
The AW130 is equipped with a 5x optical zoom NIKKOR lens that covers focal lengths beginning at the wide-angle 24 mm (equivalent focal length in 35mm  format) and offers a maximum aperture of f/2.8 for capturing broad expanses. In addition, it supports macro photography of objects as close as 1 cm to the center of the front surface of the lens, and is equipped with Dynamic Fine Zoom, which enables up to approximately 10x* zoom with which resolution is preserved, even throughout the digital zoom range.
- *At the maximum image size.
3. Equipped with convenient functions that support outdoor shooting
GPS, GLONASS, QZSS support
In addition to GPS (with A-GPS*) and Global Navigation Satellite System (GLONASS) support, the AW130 also supports the Quasi-Zenith Satellite System (QZSS). This enables faster and more accurate recording of shooting location data (latitude and longitude) with images, even in places where positioning was previously difficult, such as between buildings.
- *A function that calculates GPS signal acquired by the camera and data (EE data: Extended Ephemeris data) that predicts GPS satellite location for faster positioning.
GPS that supports display of points of interest (POI), electronic compass, and built-in world map
The AW130 supports display of points of interest (POI) for adding the names of places where photos are taken to images. In addition, location data acquired with the high-performance GPS, GLONASS, and QZSS functions, along with the direction in which the camera is pointed recorded using the electronic compass, can also be recorded with images and displayed on a world map* in the camera monitor. Shooting locations (up to 30) can be registered with the camera using the Save Location option with map display.
In addition, information helpful with outdoor use, such as latitude, longitude, altitude, atmospheric pressure, and heading, can be confirmed with a quick glance at the monitor display by pressing the camera's map button on the side of the camera.
- *Map and point of interest (POI) information current as of April 2014.
Function for displaying altimeter, depth gauge, and atmospheric and water pressures, and function for displaying altitude and water depth log data
Adoption of a pressure sensor enables display of altitude and water depth*, as well as atmospheric and water pressures, in the camera monitor. This information can also be imprinted on images as they are recorded. Further, as the camera is equipped with altitude and water-depth log functions, the altitude/water-depth information from initiation of the log function until it is terminated can be displayed as a graph.
- *When Underwater scene mode is selected, and when the camera automatically recognizes that it is under water in Auto mode.
4. NFC support, which makes sharing photos using Wi-Fi® even easier
NFC support enables easy Wi-Fi® connection by simply touching the camera to a smart device (running Android 4.0 or later) equipped with the NFC function. This allows users to immediately transfer images they have just captured to a smart device, even when they are outdoors, from which they can be posted to SNSs for sharing with family and friends. In addition, the camera's Wi-Fi® button also makes Wi-Fi® connection even easier when smart devices not equipped with NFC are used. Smart devices can also be used to take pictures remotely, zoom in or out, and enable the self-timer, capabilities that are convenient when taking group photos in which the user is included.
- *The Wireless Mobile Utility app must first be installed on the smart device (the app can be downloaded free of charge from the smart device's app store).
5. Movie functions for recording beautiful full-HD movies exhibiting little blur, and preserving memories in impressive ways
The AW130 supports 1080/60i movie recording, which achieves smooth motion. It is also equipped with a high-performance, 5-axis hybrid vibration (VR) function that uses both lens-shift and electronic VR to reduce the effects of camera shake for recording of beautiful movies in which blur has been effectively reduced.
The AW130 also offers a Time-lapse Movie function with which the user need simply select a scene type, and the camera automatically applies the optimal shooting interval for that type of scene. Still images are then captured at the specified interval and combined to create a 10-second movie that dynamically expresses the changes in familiar scenes that occur over time, such as the setting sun, clouds passing overhead, and urban bustle. It is also equipped with a Short Movie Show function that creates short 30-second movies by automatically combining multiple movie clips that are several seconds long. Special effects, and background music selected from four themes, can be applied to movies, allowing users to preserve impressive movies of highlights from vacations or everyday life.
6. Additional Features
- High-speed AF that supports quick focusing on the intended subject in approx. 0.14 s*
- *Measured in accordance with CIPA standards. Measured at maximum wide-angle position, subject brightness measuring 10 LV, programmed auto exposure, Single AF autofocus mode.
- A truly elegant design that is suited to use around town as well and offers a firm hold with its superior grip
- The Silicon Jacket CF-CP002 (sold separately) protects the camera from scratches and is extremely practical
- Equipped with functions that support comfortable shooting and a variety of image editing functions
- Adoption of a battery designed for a long life enables capture of approximately 370 shots with a single charge for worry-free shooting, even outdoors
- High-speed charging using the supplied Charging AC Adapter EH-71P and USB Cable UC-E21 (the connector on the camera is a Micro-USB connector)
COOLPIX S33 Primary Features
1. Worry-free performance that supports use by the entire family, from children to adults
It offers worry-free use by anyone in a variety of situations, from children playing at the pool or sandbox to outdoor leisure activities, with waterproofing to depths of approximately 10 meters, shock-proofing that withstands falls from up to approximately 1.5 meters, and cold-proofing that withstands temperatures as low as approximately -10°C.
2. Advanced functions that support beautiful imaging
The S33 offers an effective pixel count of 13.2-million pixels, and is equipped with a 3x optical zoom NIKKOR lens. In addition, it is equipped with Dynamic Fine Zoom, which can be used to achieve approximately 6x*1 zoom with which resolution is preserved in the digital zoom range. It is also equipped with a new Underwater Face Framing function that detects and automatically captures human faces under water, and Target Finding AF*2, which detects the primary subject and focuses on that subject when the shutter-release button is pressed halfway.
- *1At the maximum image size.
- *2With shooting in Point and shoot mode.
3. A Variety Menu that makes operating the camera fun
With a wide variety of colorful menu backgrounds, album designs, and frame options, the Variety Menu built into the S33 makes operating the camera with children more fun with the ability to apply preferred settings for these features and more. The Variety Menu can also be set to Off so that only the most important camera functions are displayed.
4. Shooting and editing functions that can be enjoyed with family and friends
Users can apply any of the 12 makeup effects (Make Faces Smaller, Make Skin Prettier, Color Faces, Make Skin Less Shiny, Hide Eye Bags, Make Eyes Bigger, Whiten Eyes, Add Eye Shadow, Add Mascara, Whiten Teeth, Color Lips, Redden Cheeks) to retouch faces in their photos at will. In addition, the degree to which each effect is applied can also be adjusted.
Shoot a Movie Miniature
This option captures a still image every two seconds (up to 300), applies the same effects used with Create a Diorama Effect, and then combines these images to create a 30-fps movie 10 seconds in length. With this feature, the camera does all the work in creating fun movies that reproduce scenes of busy city streets, beaches, airports, and the like with a model- or toy-like effect.
Choose a Style
Users can enjoy expressing themselves in a variety of ways by applying special effects prior to shooting, and by changing colors and the like in photos after they are taken. Effects have names that even children will understand, such as Take Soft Pictures and Add a Fisheye Effect.
5. A symmetrical design that is more compact and offers a better hold
The S33 has a symmetrical design that makes it easy to hold, even by children who use both of their small hands. In addition, four operational buttons offering intuitive operation have been adopted on the back of the camera, and the rounded form and slight depression around the lens offer a better hold on the camera.
6. Additional Features
- Function for creating albums with five design options
- A Grading function that allows children and adults to grade each other's photos
- An Exchange Messages function that allows users to add voice messages to images
- An Image Lock function that allows users to restrict image deletion by simply holding down two of the buttons on the back of the camera at the same time
- Function for recording 1920 x 1080/30p full-HD movies with stereo sound
- High-speed charging via Micro-USB connection High-speed charging in approximately 1 hr. 40 min.* using the supplied Charging AC Adapter EH-71P and USB Cable UC-E21 (the connector on the camera is a Micro-USB connector)
- *When battery is completely exhausted.
- *Products, brand names and service names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
- *Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacture.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.