Nikon releases the COOLPIX P1000 compact digital camera
July 10, 2018
3000mm-equivalent super-telephoto shooting with the world's highest zoom ratio of 125x
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the release of the COOLPIX P1000, a compact digital camera that features superior photographic performance, recording high-quality, breathtaking images, while providing the world's highest*1 125x optical zoom and superior operability.
The COOLPIX P1000 is equipped with a 125x optical zoom lens that covers an incredible range of focal lengths, beginning at the wide-angle 24mm*2 equivalent, and extending to the super-telephoto 3000mm*2 equivalent (up to 250x*3 zoom is possible when Dynamic Fine Zoom is enabled). The camera employs an upgraded EXPEED image-processing engine, which allows for the capture of high-quality images, and the Dual Detect Optical VR, which achieves a level of vibration reduction equivalent to a 5.0-stop*4 increase in shutter speed, delivering sharp and clear images, even with hand-held telephoto shooting. The COOLPIX P1000 provides outstanding operability with features that include an approximately 2359k-dot OLED electronic viewfinder, a control ring that can be used to adjust focus manually and change the white balance setting, and a focus mode selector that enables the focus mode to be changed while gripping the camera. What's more, the camera supports the recording of 4K UHD/30p and Superlapse movies, and works in synergy with a variety of optional accessories, contributing to rich and diverse imaging expression.
The COOLPIX P1000 is a compact digital camera that is perfect for super-telephoto photography, supporting full-scale photography and demonstrating its full power with subjects and scenes that previously could not be captured, including wild birds and celestial bodies.
- *1Among compact digital cameras available as of July 10, 2018. Statement based on Nikon research.
- *2Equivalent focal length in 35mm  format.
- *3At the maximum image size. The maximum zoom ratio varies by image size. The zoom ratio indicated for Dynamic Fine Zoom is the combined ratio of optical zoom from the maximum wide-angle position and digital zoom.
- *4Measured in accordance with CIPA standards at approx. 350mm (equivalent focal length in 35mm  format).
- 1.Equipped with a 125x optical zoom NIKKOR lens that supports super-telephoto shooting at the equivalent of 3000mm
The COOLPIX P1000 is equipped with a 125x optical zoom NIKKOR lens that covers the wide-angle 24mm to super-telephoto 3000mm focal lengths. It supports an incredibly broad zoom range, offering users the opportunity to enjoy the recording of photos and movies at focal lengths that were never before possible. Furthermore, super ED and ED lens elements were adopted for this lens, providing superior compensation for chromatic aberration. High-resolution images can be captured throughout the entire zoom range.
- *Equivalent focal length in 35mm  format.
- 2.A high-resolution XGA OLED electronic viewfinder that delivers a sharp and clear view
The COOLPIX P1000 is equipped with a high-resolution, approximately 2359k-dot OLED electronic viewfinder. The subject is clearly projected with a viewfinder magnification of approximately 0.68x (equivalent in 35mm  format). This high-performance viewfinder makes viewing images comfortable and easy, even in bright outdoor situations.
- 3.Dual Detect Optical VR, that provides camera-shake compensation equivalent to a 5.0-stop increase in shutter speed, for effective image stabilization even with hand-held super-telephoto shooting
The COOLPIX P1000 features Dual Detect Optical VR, which achieves vibration reduction equivalent to a 5.0-stop increase in shutter speed, for worry-free super-telephoto photography. The camera processes two types of camera-shake information, detected from the angular velocity sensor as well as the image itself, for extremely precise camera-shake compensation. The effects of camera shake are effectively suppressed, even with hand-held super-telephoto shooting, greatly expanding shooting possibilities.
- 4.Supports the recording of 4K UHD/30p movies
The COOLPIX P1000 supports the recording of high-definition 4K UHD/30p movies. The photographer can harness the power of 3000mm-equivalent super-telephoto shooting to beautifully record subjects at great distances. Frames from movies recorded in 4K UHD format can also be saved as still images to preserve moments that simply cannot be captured with a continuous burst of still-image shooting.
- 5.Superior operability makes super-telephoto photography easy
Adoption of a deep grip ensures a firmer, steadier hold during hand-held shooting. The operability of each switch and button was also considered thoroughly. The camera accomplishes outstanding operability with features that include a focus mode selector that can be used to change the focus mode after focus has been acquired, and a control ring that enables the adjustment of settings such as white balance and manual focus.
- 6.Enhanced versatility provides increased enjoyment of authentic shooting
The COOPLIX P1000 is equipped with an accessory terminal and an accessory shoe that supports a wide variety of accessories, including external Speedlights. Support for Nikon's extensive lineup of accessories further expands possibilities for imaging expression. Among the many optional accessories available for the COOLPIX P1000 is a new Bluetooth remote control (ML-L7) that can be used to eliminate the camera shake that is often a concern with telephoto shooting. This accessory facilitates smooth and precise super-telephoto photography.
- 7.Additional features
- A 3.2-in. TFT LCD vari-angle monitor with wide viewing angle and a display that provides comfortable viewing
- Compatible with Nikon's exclusive NRW (RAW) format
- COOLPIX Picture Control allows individual imaging style to be achieved easily
- A creative mode that makes attaining the ideal imaging expression simple
- Ability to record superlapse and time-lapse movies
- SnapBridge support that enables remote camera control from a smart device and automatic transfer of photos to a smart device
Trade names (companies, products, services, etc.) are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.