Nikon releases the 83x optical zoom COOLPIX P950 compact digital camera
January 7, 2020
A high-power zoom camera equipped with enhanced movie functions and increased operability that places 2000 mm-equivalent super-telephoto shooting at your fingertips
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the release of the COOLPIX P950, a compact digital camera equipped with 83x super-telephoto zoom that combines superior optical quality with various shooting functions, allowing users to enjoy great variety in imaging expression.
The COOLPIX P950 is equipped with an 83x optical zoom lens that covers an incredible range of focal lengths, beginning at the wide-angle 24 mm*1 equivalent and extending to the super-telephoto 2000 mm*1 equivalent (up to 166x*2 zoom is possible when Dynamic Fine Zoom is enabled). As a successor to the COOLPIX P900 (released in March 2015) compact digital camera, which was very well received for its outstanding super-telephoto performance, the COOLPIX P950 offers improved movie-recording functions and easier functionality compared to its predecessor.
The camera offers an effective pixel count of 16.0 megapixels*3, and is equipped with a backside illumination CMOS image sensor, a fast and highly precise EXPEED image-processing engine for which a Super ED (Extra-low Dispersion) lens element has been adopted, realizing excellent image quality throughout the entire zoom range. In addition, its Dual Detect Optical VR function provides more accurate compensation with image-stabilization capabilities, equivalent to a 5.5-stop*4 increase in shutter speed, making it the most powerful vibration reduction function in the history of Nikon compact digital cameras. This enables sharp and clear images with hand-held shooting, even at super-telephoto zoom positions. What's more, movie recording functions have evolved greatly since the COOLPIX P900. The COOLPIX P950 supports 4K UHD/30p recording and recording in Movie manual mode, which allows the user to fine-tune exposure settings, and is equipped with a feature for specifying zoom speed while recording movies.
The COOLPIX P950 has improved its ergonomics and functionality with an approximately 2359k-dot OLED electronic viewfinder, a focus-mode selector that enables nimble switching between focus modes, and a side dial that can be used to focus manually in MF (manual focus) mode, and to which one of a number of functions can be assigned for use in AF (autofocus) mode. In addition, the COOLPIX P950 is equipped with an accessory shoe to which a variety of accessories can be attached, including the optional DF-M1 Dot Sight, which helps users to compose shots with telephoto and super-telephoto shooting of distant subjects, such as birds and celestial bodies.
The COOLPIX P950 is a high-performance compact digital camera that enables full-scale enjoyment of all types of photography, from birds and wildlife to landscapes, airplanes, and even astronomy.
- *1Equivalent focal length in 35mm  format.
- *2At the maximum image size. The maximum zoom ratio varies by image size. The zoom ratio indicated for Dynamic Fine Zoom is the combined ratio of optical zoom from the maximum wide-angle position and digital zoom.
- *3May be reduced with image processing.
- *4Measured in accordance with CIPA standards at approx. 350 mm (equivalent focal length in 35mm  format).
- 1.2000 mm-equivalent super-telephoto photography at your fingertips
The COOLPIX P950 is equipped with an 83x optical zoom NIKKOR lens that covers the wide-angle 24 mm to super-telephoto 2000 mm range of focal lengths. Lens optics, for which one Super ED and five ED lens elements have been adopted, effectively compensate for the chromatic aberration that commonly occurs with super-telephoto shooting, ensuring sharp and clear resolution throughout the entire zoom range. What's more, when Dynamic Fine Zoom is used, shooting at the equivalent of approximately 4000 mm* is possible. Its Dual Detect Optical VR function supports image-stabilization capabilities equivalent to a 5.5-stop increase in shutter speed, making it the most powerful vibration reduction function in Nikon compact digital camera history. This enables nimble, hand-held shooting in the field, even at super-telephoto zoom positions, when taking a tripod along is inconvenient or impractical. AF performance at telephoto positions has been increased and the buffer has been expanded for superior continuous shooting performance so that users may successfully capture every perfect moment as it occurs.
- 2.Shooting and recording functions that support flexible imaging expression
Support for more realistic 4K UHD/30p movie recording
The COOLPIX P950 supports the recording of high-definition 4K UHD/30p movies. It can record powerful and dynamic movies beautifully at super-telephoto 2000 mm equivalent. In addition, frames from movies recorded in 4K UHD format can be saved as still images, preserving photos of decisive moments.
Adjust zoom speed with movie recording
When the side zoom control is operated with movie recording, zoom speeds of the lens can be set to High-speed movie zoom, Mid-speed movie zoom, or Low-speed movie zoom. This allows users to record more creative and artistic movies by, for example, choosing a slower zoom speed to achieve a cinematic effect with their movies. Changes in the aperture setting that occur with zooming during movie recording are also smooth for natural transitions in exposure, with very little flicker.
Support for Nikon's exclusive NRW (RAW) file format
The COOLPIX P950 supports the recording of image data read from the image sensor with still-image photography as NRW (RAW) files*. Nikon's RAW image processing software, Capture NX-D or ViewNX-i, can be used to edit and retouch these files to achieve the intended results without degrading image quality.
- *Images cannot be recorded in NRW (RAW) format with shooting in Creative mode, Bird-watching mode, Moon mode, or any of the scene modes. NRW (RAW) images cannot be processed or edited in-camera. NRW (RAW) images can be processed and edited by copying them to a computer and using ViewNX-i or Capture NX-D software.
- 3.Superior operation that supports comfortable shooting
The COOLPIX P950 is equipped with an approximately 2359k-dot OLED electronic viewfinder with eye sensor, and a 3.2-inch vari-angle monitor with wide viewing angle. It also has a side dial that can be used to perform the function assigned by the user in AF mode, or to adjust focus in MF mode, all without taking their eye away from the viewfinder. Other controls built into the COOLPIX P950, include a focus-mode selector for immediate switching between AF (autofocus) and MF (manual focus) modes, and an AE-L/AF-L button for locking exposure and/or focus, supporting more flexible response to shooting conditions, scenes, or subjects.
- 4.Greater possibilities for expansion to pursue more varied imaging expression
The COOLPIX P950 is equipped with an accessory shoe and an accessory terminal that supports a wide variety of accessories. Accessories such as a dot sight, which may assist with super-telephoto photography of small or distant subjects like birds and celestial bodies; speedlights that can be used to flexibly control lighting; and microphones that enable realistic recording of wild animal calls, concerts, and so forth, allow users to enjoy operational experience similar to that offered by digital SLR cameras.
- 5.Additional features
- Equipped with Bird-watching and Moon modes that can be quickly accessed using the mode dial
- A Clean HDMI output function that cleans the information displayed from the image output to an external monitor during recording
- Bulb and Time exposure options available for capturing long-time exposures
- SnapBridge support that enables remote camera control from a smart device*1 and automatic transfer*2 of photos to a smart device
- Creative mode that makes attaining the ideal imaging expression simple
- COOLPIX Picture Control allows individual imaging style to be achieved easily
- *1iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch®, and Android™ devices to which the SnapBridge app has been installed can be used. The SnapBridge app can be downloaded free of charge from the App Store® and Google Play™. See Nikon's website for further information.
- *2Images are resized to 2 megapixels (2 million pixels) with automatic transfer. The transfer of original JPEG images and movies is not supported. Transfer of RAW (NRW) images is not supported.
- *Apple®, App Store®, the Apple logos, iPhone®, iPad®, and iPod touch® are trademarks of Apple Inc. registered in the U.S. and/or other countries.
- *The iPhone trademark is used under license from Aiphone Co., Ltd.
- *Android™ and Google Play™ are trademarks of Google LLC
- *Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.