Nikon releases the FX-format Nikon Z 5
July 21, 2020
A basic model that enriches creative activities with the superior power of expression and reliability of the Nikon Z mount system
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the release of the full-frame (Nikon FX-format) Nikon Z 5 mirrorless camera, for which the Nikon Z mount has been adopted; as well as the standard zoom lens NIKKOR Z 24-50mm f/4-6.3, which is used as the kit lens for the Z 5.
Details regarding the NIKKOR Z 24-50mm f/4-6.3 can be found in the following press release, issued today:
The Z 5 is a full-frame mirrorless camera basic model that inherits the superior power of expression and reliability of the Nikon Z 7 and Z 6, while also balancing high cost performance. It enables the rich expression of a wide variety of scenes, with an FX-format sensor capable of superior image quality and rendering capabilities in dark or dimly lit situations, and support for NIKKOR Z lenses that allows users to take advantage of beautiful blur characteristics (bokeh) to achieve a three-dimensional appearance with their imaging. Additionally, the Z 5 demonstrates superior agility and convenient portability when used in combination with the NIKKOR Z 24-50mm f/4-6.3, the shortest*1 and lightest*1 lens within full-frame format zoom lenses for mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses, released at the same time as the Z 5. The Z 5 is an ideal model to choose as one's first full-frame camera, supporting the activities of creators who are pursuing their own unique forms of expression.
The Nikon FX-format CMOS sensor and EXPEED 6 image-processing engine realize the maximum standard sensitivity setting of ISO 51200*2, preserving sharpness and clarity, and effectively reducing noise, even at high sensitivities. In addition to its high performance, the Z 5 is equipped with various functions, including in-camera vibration reduction (VR) that provides camera-shake compensation equivalent to a 5.0-stop*3 increase in shutter speed, a hybrid AF system with 273*4 focus points covering a broad area of the frame, and Eye-Detection AF and Animal-Detection AF*5 that are convenient for capturing portraits of human subjects, and dogs or cats. In addition, the feel of a photo or movie can be easily adjusted by applying any of the 20 Creative Picture Controls while shooting. Users can maximize the Z 5's power of expression and expand possibilities for imaging expression by using it in combination with the diverse NIKKOR Z lenses, which realize superior optical performance.
Further, the Z 5 is equipped with movie recording functions such as support for the recording of high-quality 4K UHD movies, and simultaneous recording of time-lapse movies with interval timer shooting. Additionally, smooth and quiet operation of aperture and exposure settings is possible when using the control ring that is provided on NIKKOR Z lenses.
Adoption of the new, higher-capacity EN-EL15c Rechargeable Li-ion Battery and support for USB power delivery when the camera is turned on enables use over longer periods of time, making outdoor recording and recording of images for time-lapse movies easier. Effective sealing applied to the camera offers highly reliable dust- and drip-resistance. Signature features of the Z series, including the electronic viewfinder that supports clear and natural viewing, and the 3.2-inch tilting TFT touch-sensitive LCD monitor, enable smooth and intuitive operation that allows the user to better concentrate on creative activities. Support for the SnapBridge app enables the transfer of photos and videos to, and remote camera operation from, a smart device*6.
Nikon will continue to pursue a new dimension in optical performance while meeting users' needs, contributing to the development of imaging culture, with the hope of expanding possibilities for imaging expression.
- *1 Among full-frame format zoom lenses for mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses, available as of July 21, 2020. Statement based on Nikon research.
- *2 Sensitivity can be expanded down to the equivalent of ISO 50 and up to the equivalent of ISO 102400 with still photography.
- *3 Measured in accordance with CIPA standards (using the NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S at the maximum telephoto position).
- *4 Photo mode, FX image area, single-point AF.
- *5 Human and animal faces are detected with movie recording.
- *6 The iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch®, and Android™ devices running the SnapBridge app can be used. The SnapBridge app can be downloaded free of charge from the App Store® and Google Play™. See Nikon's website for further information.
- 1.Superior image quality and power of expression of the Nikon Z series
The Z 5 has an effective pixel count of 24.3 megapixels and is equipped with a Nikon FX-format CMOS sensor and the EXPEED 6 image-processing engine, covering a broad range of standard ISO sensitivities — ISO 100-51200. This enables clear rendering of textures and details, while suppressing noise, even when recording in dark or dimly lit surroundings. The camera is also equipped with an in-camera vibration reduction (VR) system that uses a 5-axis VR unit to provide camera-shake compensation equivalent to a 5.0-stop increase in shutter speed. What's more, during Full-HD movie recording, an
a dedicatedelectronic VR function for movie recordingworks with in-camera VR to provide stable and effective camera-shake compensation with movie recording.
("A dedicated electronic VR function for movie recording" has been changed to "during Full-HD movie recording". "With movie recording" has been deleted. August 7, 2020)
The Z 5 also offers 20 Creative Picture Controls that enable unique and original expression. Each Creative Picture Control theme provides a unique combination of hue, tone, saturation, and other settings tuned for a particular effect. In addition, individual parameters can be adjusted to suit individual preferences and expand power of expression. Creative Picture Controls can also be applied with movie recording at all sizes, including 4K UHD.
- 2.Capture your subject as intended with Eye-Detection AF/Animal-Detection AF and a 273-point hybrid AF system
The Z 5 is equipped with a hybrid AF system that automatically switches between focal-plane phase-detection AF and contrast AF. Its 273 focus points cover a broad area of the frame — 90% of the image area horizontally and vertically — for easy focusing on subjects, even when they're at the edge of the frame. The camera is also equipped with Eye-Detection AF and Animal-Detection AF that track the faces and eyes of moving people, dogs, and cats in high precision. This allows users to concentrate on communicating with, or framing, their subject without concern for focus point operation. Multiple eyes can be detected not only with live view photography, but with viewfinder photography as well. Using the multi selector or sub selector enables easy selection of the eye on which to focus during shooting. Human and animal faces can also be detected with movie recording. In addition, the AF detection range begins at -3 EV*, ensuring certain acquisition of the intended subject, even in dimly lit surroundings.
- *Measured at ISO 100, 20°C, using an f/2.0 lens in AF-S focus mode and Low-light AF ON (Default).
- 3.Superior operation and a variety of functions that support comfortable shooting
The Z 5 offers the same level of durability and dust- and drip-resistance as the Nikon Z 7 and Z 6, allowing users to concentrate on recording with peace of mind during a variety of conditions and environments. The approximately 3,690k-dot electronic viewfinder has inherited the sharp and natural viewing signature to the Z series, enabling precise confirmation of the composition and details all the way to the extreme corners of the frame. A touch screen that provides intuitive operation with autofocusing, shutter release, and even settings adjustment has been adopted for the 3.2-inch tilting TFT LCD monitor. The new EN-EL15c Rechargeable Li-ion Battery has an increased capacity that enables the capture of approximately 470* photos with a single charge. What's more, in addition to conventional USB charging, the Z 5 also supports USB power delivery while on. This new feature allows users to comfortably focus on recording movies and time-lapse movies for longer periods of time. The camera is also compatible with the SnapBridge app, which can be used to transfer photos and videos recorded with the camera to a smart device, and to control camera operation remotely from a smart device. This allows users to easily share their images with others via social media.
Additionally, in response to user feedback, double memory card slots that support readily available SD cards (UHS-II) have been adopted, a first for Nikon mirrorless cameras.
- *In Monitor only monitor mode.
- 4.Other features and functions
- Silent photography that eliminates shutter sounds with shooting
- A focus shift shooting function for acquiring the materials (shots) used for focus stacking
- High-Speed Frame Capture enables high-speed continuous shooting of still images with movie live view display, with AF/AE tracking*1
- Active D-Lighting
, electronic VR,and focus peaking can be used while recording 4K UHD movies.
("Electronic VR" has been deleted. August 7, 2020.)
- Support for portable chargers convenient for outdoors or long periods of shooting*2,*3
- The use of lightweight and durable magnesium alloy for the front and top covers enhances the camera's strength and durability
- An <i> menu that allows users to quickly adjust settings while shooting, accessible with the press of a button
- *1The frame advance rate for [Continuous] release mode varies with the option selected for [Frame size/frame rate].
- *2Possible only when the EN-EL15 battery series is employed. Please use a USB cable with a type C connector that is included in the portable charger (Anker PowerCore+ 26800 PD 45W) that have been tested and approved for use.
- *3The only batteries that can be charged from portable chargers are the EN-EL15c and EN-EL15b.
- ·Apple®, App Store®, the Apple logos, iPhone®, iPad®, and iPod touch® are trademarks of Apple Inc. registered in the U.S. and/or other countries.
- ·The iPhone trademark is used under license from Aiphone Co., Ltd.
- ·Android™ and Google Play&Trade; are trademarks of Google LLC.
- ·Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
For more information
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.