Nikon releases the fast, ultrawide-angle zoom lens NIKKOR Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S for the Nikon Z mount system
September 16, 2020
Balances superior portability and outstanding rendering performance
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the release of the fast, ultrawide-angle zoom lens NIKKOR Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S that is compatible with full-frame (Nikon FX-format) mirrorless cameras for which the Nikon Z mount has been adopted.
The NIKKOR Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S is a fast, ultrawide-angle zoom lens that is part of the S-Line*1 of NIKKOR Z lenses. Throughout the entire zoom range, a constant fast maximum aperture of f/2.8 is maintained while delivering incredibly sharp and clear rendering performance from maximum aperture and throughout the entire frame. It is the world's shortest*2 and lightest*2 lens in its class, with a length of approximately 124.5 mm and a weight of approximately 650 g. The NIKKOR Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S is the perfect lens for a wide variety of landscapes, from starry skies and mountain scenes to cityscapes. It allows users to enjoy recording of both stills and videos, with the realistic and dynamic expression characteristic of ultrawide-angle lenses.
Additionally, in comparison to the AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, point-image reproduction of point light sources, as well as backlight resistance which effectively suppresses ghost and flare even under harsh lighting conditions, have both improved drastically. Despite being an ultrawide-angle lens with a maximum aperture of f/2.8, adoption of a lens with aspherical surfaces on both sides for the front-most element has realized a front surface that is very nearly flat. This enables the attachment of filters via the dedicated lens hood, responding to a variety of photographers' needs.
What's more, in pursuit of operability for video shooting in addition to still-image shooting, stepping motors (STMs) and a control ring have been adopted, supporting smooth operability and quietness. The outstanding rendering performance characteristic of S-Line lenses can be enjoyed in video shooting as well.
The NIKKOR Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S joins the NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S and NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S to cover the wide-angle, standard, and telephoto ranges, greatly expanding the possibilities of imaging expression for high amateur and professional photographers alike.
Nikon will continue to pursue a new dimension in optical performance while meeting users' needs, contributing to the development of imaging culture, with the hope of expanding possibilities for imaging expression.
- *1The S-Line is a grade of NIKKOR Z lenses that demonstrate outstanding optical performance, adhering to a high standard of design principles and quality control.
- *2Among interchangeable zoom lenses for full-frame (Nikon FX-format) digital cameras with interchangeable lenses with a focal range beginning at 14 mm or lower, and a constant maximum aperture of f/2.8 throughout the zoom range, available as of September 16, 2020. Statement based on Nikon research.
NIKKOR Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S primary features
- Adoption of a lens with aspherical surfaces on both sides for the front-most element, and a design that maximizes the advantages of the short flange focal distance, has helped to achieve the world's shortest and lightest — approx. 124.5 mm and approx. 650 g respectively — lens in its class, while enabling superior optical performance.
- Effective suppression of sagittal coma flare*1 for superior point image reproduction characteristics that render stars as sharp points not only at the center of the frame, but all the way to the edges.
- Adoption of Nano Crystal Coat and ARNEO Coat effectively reduces flare and ghosting caused by light.
- Designed to achieve superior dust- and drip-resistance*2, provides toughness and durability for outstanding reliability, and features a fluorine coating for superior antifouling performance
- Drive sounds have been quietened by the AF mechanism for which a stepping motor (STM) has been adopted, and the aperture mechanism.
- A "click-less" control ring is adopted for smooth operation and in consideration of eliminating unnecessary operational sounds with video recording.
- Equipped with an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism for greater convenience.
- Adoption of L-Fn (lens function) button and a lens information panel supports smooth operation.
- When the dedicated lens hood (supplied) is attached, screw-on filters can be attached to the front of the lens. Sheet-type gel filters can also be inserted in the filter slot at the rear of the lens.
- The new Neutral Color NC Filter 112mm and Circular Polarizing Filter II 112mm are scheduled to be released at the same time as the NIKKOR Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S.
- *1An aberration where a point image forms a conspicuous image resembling a bird spreading its wings.
- *2The lens is not guaranteed to be dust- and drip-resistant in all situations or under all conditions.
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.