Nikon releases the NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8, a standard micro lens compatible with the Nikon Z mount system
June 2, 2021
Supports a wide range of expression — from macro photography to snapshots — as the first NIKKOR Z micro lens
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the release of the NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8, a standard micro lens compatible with full-frame (Nikon FX-format) mirrorless cameras for which the Nikon Z mount has been adopted.
The NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8 is a compact and lightweight micro lens that can be employed for a wide variety of scenes, from macro photography where the subject is portrayed largely, to shooting snapshots. The NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8 and the NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S, also announced today, are the first NIKKOR Z micro lenses. With a minimum focus distance of 0.16 m and a maximum reproduction ratio of 1.0, users can position the lens close to the subject, utilizing the beautiful bokeh that is a characteristic of micro lenses to create images with enhanced three-dimensionality, while also realistically rendering the finest textures. In addition to macro photography, users are able to enjoy the NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8 as a standard prime lens for shooting scenes that utilize its 50 mm focal length, such as capturing snapshots.
Adoption of the Z mount, that takes in abundant light due to its large diameter, has realized superior optical performance, enabling sharp rendering all the way to the edges of the frame, as well as natural bokeh that accentuates the primary subject, a characteristic of micro lenses. What's more, adoption of a lens structure that suppresses chromatic aberration from near to far shooting distances provides beautiful bokeh with minimal color bleed or fringing. The adoption of a front focusing system that moves the frontal lens elements during focusing, and a stepping motor (STM), allows for a much smaller and lighter lens — the total length is 26% shorter and the weight 39% lighter, compared to the existing AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED F mount lens.
The NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8 is ideal for photographers looking to explore new forms of photographic expression by employing a micro lens. It supports macro photography of plants and flowers utilizing bokeh, as well as facilitating the distinctive capture of various subjects in daily life, with snapshots and still-life photography that take advantage of the standard 50 mm focal length.
Nikon will continue to pursue new dimensions in optical performance while meeting users' needs, contributing to the development of imaging culture, with the hope of further expanding the possibilities for imaging expression.
- Suited for a wide variety of scenes, utilizing the minimum focus distance of 0.16 m, maximum reproduction ratio of 1.0, and standard focal length of 50 mm.
- The superior optical performance of the Z mount system enables sharp rendering to the edges of the frame.
- Balances high resolution from close to far focal distances and beautiful bokeh achieved with the suppression of color bleed and fringing.
- Ghost and flare are effectively reduced with the increased design flexibility of the Z mount system.
- Adoption of a stepping motor (STM) and a front focusing system, as well as efficient positioning of lens elements, have enabled a total length shorter by 26% and weight lighter by 39% than the existing F mount model.
- Equipped with a control ring to which functions such as aperture or exposure compensation can be assigned.
- Adoption of a new design that features a new NIKKOR emblem and high-quality body texture. Further, display of the reproduction ratio and focus distance information is supported, for confirmation of information at a glance.
- Equipped with a focus limiter*1 function that reduces focusing time during close-up shooting by limiting the focus range.
- Designed with consideration of dust- and drip-resistant performance*2. A fluorine coat is adopted for superior anti-fouling performance.
- *1Update the camera firmware to the latest version. With earlier versions, the camera may fail to detect the lens correctly and some features may not be available.
- *2Thorough dust- and drip-resistance is not guaranteed in all situations or under all conditions.
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.