The first NIKKOR Z lens with built-in power zoom, perfect for selfies and vlogging
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the release of the NIKKOR Z DX 12-28mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ VR, an ultrawide-angle zoom lens compatible with APS-C size/DX-format mirrorless cameras for which the Nikon Z mount has been adopted.
The NIKKOR Z DX 12-28mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ VR is an ultrawide-angle zoom lens that covers the 12-mm to 28-mm*1 range of focal lengths. At 12 mm, the widest angle of view amongst NIKKOR Z lenses compatible with the APS-C size cameras, this lens allows users to capture a very broad area for group or landscape selfies. The NIKKOR Z DX 12-28mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ VR is ideal for a wide variety of subjects and scenes, from landscapes that emphasize a perspective unique to ultrawide-angle lenses, to tabletop photos in which bokeh is used to emphasize the primary subject, and dynamic close-ups of flowers and insects that take advantage of the minimum focus distance of 0.19 m throughout the entire zoom range and the maximum reproduction ratio of 0.21x.
It is the first NIKKOR Z lens equipped with a power zoom with linear drive that can be controlled via the zoom ring. This achieves smooth and natural zooming when recording videos and vlogging. The user can assign zoom operation to both camera controls and the remote control, with the ability to choose the zoom speed from 11 steps, enabling easy recording of videos that satisfy the user's vision and style*2. With a weight of approximately 205 g, the NIKKOR Z DX 12-28mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ VR is light enough to carry in a bag while walking around town or traveling.
Nikon will continue to pursue a new dimension in optical performance while meeting users' needs, contributing to the development of imaging culture, with the hope of expanding possibilities for imaging expression.
- *1Angle of view equivalent to that of an 18-42 mm lens in FX/35mm  format.
- *2Supported only with the Z 30 and Z fc at initial release.
- Coverage of the ultrawide-angle 12-mm to 28-mm range of focal lengths makes this lens the perfect choice for a wide variety of scenes and subjects, selfies and landscapes, and close-ups of flowers and insects.
- A minimum focus distance of 0.19 m throughout the entire zoom range and a maximum reproduction ratio of 0.21x allow users to get closer to their subjects for dynamic expression.
- The first NIKKOR Z lens to be equipped with a power zoom for smooth zooming. Zoom speed can be selected from 11 steps in accordance with the intended expression.
- Adoption of an internal zoom mechanism maintains a constant length of the lens barrel when zooming. This makes it easier to maintain balance during shooting, while also making the lens safer to carry.
- 4.5-stop*1 vibration reduction for stable camera shake compensation.
- Functions such as aperture and exposure compensation can be assigned to the control ring.
- A design that takes video recording into consideration with more stable exposure, and focus-breathing suppression which effectively reduces shifts in the angle of view when focusing.
- Designed with consideration of dust- and drip-resistance so that it can be taken anywhere without concern.*2
- *1 Based on CIPA Standard. The value is achieved when attached to a camera with APS-C size sensor, with the camera's VR function set to "NORMAL", and when zoom is set to the maximum telephoto position.
- *2Thorough dust- and drip-resistance is not guaranteed in all situations or under all conditions.
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.