Excellent portability and a fast f/2.8 maximum aperture expand the user's creativity
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the release of the NIKKOR Z 70-180mm f/2.8, a telephoto zoom lens that is compatible with full-frame/FX-format mirrorless cameras for which the Nikon Z mount has been adopted.
The NIKKOR Z 70-180mm f/2.8 is a telephoto zoom lens that covers a full range of focal lengths with a constant fast maximum aperture of f/2.8. Compact and lightweight with a total length of approximately 151 mm* and a weight of approximately 795 g, it can easily be taken anywhere despite being a fast telephoto zoom lens.
The fast f/2.8 maximum aperture, combined with the large bokeh and compression effect that are characteristic of a telephoto lens, supports impressive portrait photography. The NIKKOR Z 70-180mm f/2.8's ability to take in a large volume of light enables sharp capture of moving subjects with less blur and noise, even in low-light conditions — for example, when shooting indoor sporting events. Users can also enjoy changing the feel of their images from the soft rendering achieved at maximum aperture to sharp and clear rendering of the finest details by stopping down the aperture.
The adoption of a stepping motor (STM) enables fast autofocusing. In addition, the autofocus can also be used when shooting close-up. With a minimum focus distance of just 0.27 m at the maximum wide-angle position and a maximum reproduction ratio of 0.48x, the NIKKOR Z 70-180mm f/2.8 can be used to shoot close-ups of flowers and animal faces that fill the frame — for both stills and video. With just this single lens, users are able to explore a highly diverse range of creativity.
The NIKKOR Z 70-180mm f/2.8 joins the NIKKOR Z 17-28mm f/2.8 and the NIKKOR Z 28-75mm f/2.8 in a series of affordable zoom lenses that provide f/2.8 maximum aperture options to photographers looking to expand their imaging expression.
Nikon will continue to pursue a new dimension in optical performance while meeting users' needs, contributing to the development of imaging culture, with the hope of expanding possibilities for imaging expression.
- *Distance to end of lens from camera lens mount flange.
- Coverage for the 70 mm to 180 mm medium-telephoto to telephoto range of focal lengths supports a wide variety of scenes and subjects.
- The constant f/2.8 maximum aperture throughout the full range of focal lengths, combined with the large bokeh and compression effect that are characteristic of a telephoto lens, supports impressive imaging expression.
- This fast telephoto zoom lens is compact and lightweight enough to be taken anywhere.
- Use of the Z TELECONVERTER TC-1.4x or Z TELECONVERTER TC-2.0x extends the maximum focal length to 252 mm or 360 mm, respectively*1.
- When the Z TELECONVERTER TC-2.0x is attached, the maximum reproduction ratio is 0.96x, which is close to life-size reproduction.
- Adoption of a stepping motor (STM) enables a fast and quiet AF drive.
- Close-up shooting with autofocusing at a minimum focus distance of just 0.27 m (at the maximum wide-angle position) is possible.
- With effective suppression of focus breathing*2 and smooth operation of the control ring, this lens is ideal for video recording.
- Dust- and drip-resistant*3 design and antifouling coating on the frontmost surface of the lens.
- *1Depending on the subject, ambient lighting conditions, and the focus point selected, the camera may be unable to focus using autofocus or the focus indicator for electronic rangefinding may flicker while a teleconverter is attached.
- *2Focus breathing may be noticeable depending on the distance between the lens and the subject due to the characteristics of the lens.
- *3Thorough dust- and drip-resistance is not guaranteed in all situations or under all conditions.
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.