AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
August 6, 2013
An approximately 7.8x high-power normal zoom lens compatible with the Nikon DX format covering a broad range of focal lengths, from wide-angle to telephoto
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, an approximately 7.8x high-power normal zoom lens compatible with Nikon DX-format digital SLR cameras.
The AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR high-power normal zoom lens covers the frequently used wide-angle 18mm to telephoto 140mm (equivalent to 27-210mm in 35mm  format) range of focal lengths, making it the perfect lens for a wide variety of scenes, from everyday snapshots to vacation portraits and landscapes. It is constructed of one ED lens element and one aspherical lens element for excellent optical performance that makes superior image quality and clear rendering possible throughout the entire zoom range. Further, the lens is equipped with the vibration reduction (VR) function for camera shake compensation equivalent to a shutter speed 4.0 stops* faster. The benefits of this function are maximized even when used with a digital SLR camera boasting a high pixel count for excellent definition and superior rendering. It is also equipped with a Silent Wave Motor (SWM) for fast and quiet autofocusing. This single lens, with its high-power zoom and excellent portability make it easy to use with a wide variety of photographic scenes and situations.
- *Measured in accordance with CIPA standards. Measurement performed using a DX-format digital SLR camera at the maximum telephoto position.
AF-S NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Primary Features
- An 18-140mm, approximately 7.8x high-power normal zoom lens compatible with Nikon DX-format digital SLR cameras
- An ED lens element and an aspherical lens element for optical design that achieves superior image quality and sharp rendering
- Equipped with the vibration reduction (VR) function for camera shake compensation equivalent to a shutter speed 4.0 stops faster
- Equipped with a Silent Wave Motor (SWM) for extremely quiet autofocusing
- A maximum diameter of approximately 78 mm, length of approximately 97 mm, and weight of approximately 490 g makes it small and light enough to take anywhere
The 80th Anniversary of the NIKKOR lens
NIKKOR is Nikon's brand of photographic lenses. This year, the NIKKOR camera lens celebrates its 80th anniversary since the first lens was introduced in 1933. The NIKKOR name arose from adding "r"—a common practice in the naming of photographic lenses at the time the name was established—to "Nikko", the Romanized abbreviation for Nippon Kogaku K.K., the original name used when the company was established.
Nikon's own high-quality standards are applied to all stages from initial design and development to final product release for design that responds to user needs, and production system and inspections that ensure the superior quality of NIKKOR lenses.
Nikon's lineup of lenses for cameras with interchangeable lenses currently consists of more than 80 types of lenses, including ultra wide-angle to super-telephoto lenses, fisheye lenses, zoom lenses, micro lenses, and PC-E lenses that support a wide variety of applications, as well as 1 NIKKOR lenses for advanced cameras with interchangeable lenses. In mid-June 2013, total production of NIKKOR interchangeable photographic lenses* reached 80 million.
Nikon will continue to develop and release high-quality products that appeal to users the world over.
- *Interchangeable lenses for Nikon SLR cameras and Nikon 1, Advanced Cameras with Interchangeable Lenses
- *Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacture.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.