Digital SLR Camera D3400
August 17, 2016
Digital SLR Photography with SnapBridge for Connected Content Creators
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of the D3400, an all-new entry-level DX-format digital SLR with easy connectivity to smart devices. From outfit-of-the-day portraits to edgy street photography or one-of-a-kind culinary experiences – the new Nikon D3400 easily captures these visual contents for instant sharing to social media.
As a digital SLR designed for aspiring photographers and users accustomed to shooting with their smart devices, the D3400 is the first entry-level digital SLR enabled with SnapBridge connectivity. With the D3400's built-in Bluetooth® low energy technology, it is easy to connect the camera and a smart device via the SnapBridge app. All photos*1 taken with the camera are automatically transferred to a smart device with simple, one-time setup. This eliminates the need to manually reconnect the camera to a smart device for each image transfer. The connection can be maintained even when the camera is turned off. Sharing images taken from your digital SLR onto social media has never been easier.
The D3400 is an entry-level model offering a number of enhancements over its predecessor, the D3300. The camera's ISO sensitivity has been expanded to ISO 100 - 25600 for capturing vibrant and clear pictures in low-light environments with less camera shake. Improved battery performance supports capture of approximately 1,200 shots*2 with a fully charged battery. Equipped with Guide Mode, which provides step-by-step instructions, taking pictures and recording movies are easy, even for first-time users of a digital SLR camera. And, at approximately 395 g*3, the lighter camera body is especially handy for users constantly on the move.
The D3400 combines the superior power of NIKKOR lenses with an effective pixel count of 24.2-million pixels and the DX-format CMOS sensor with no optical low-pass filter, enhancing the users' experience of capturing and sharing quality images possible only with a digital SLR camera.
- *1Images (JPEG) reduced to 2-megapixel equivalents can be transferred automatically.
- *2Measured in accordance with CIPA guidelines; photos captured in single-frame release mode with Bluetooth disabled.
- *3Body only. The weight is approx. 445 g including battery and SD memory card; excluding body cap.
1. SnapBridge support for a connection to a smart device
Support for the SnapBridge app enables automatic transfer*1 of photos as they are taken, via Bluetooth® connection of the D3400 to a smart device*2 with simple, one-time setup. Furthermore, a number of convenient functions*3, including automatic upload to Nikon's photo sharing service, NIKON IMAGE SPACE*4, the addition of up to two pieces of credit information, such as copyright and comments, to photos, and automatic synchronization of shooting date/time and location information with that of the smart device, are available.
- *1 Images (JPEG) reduced to 2-megapixel equivalents can be transferred automatically. RAW/TIFF data and movie data cannot be transferred.
- *2The SnapBridge app is available for compatible iPhone®, iPad® and/or iPod touch®, and for smart devices running the Android™ operating system. The app can be downloaded free of charge from Apple's App Store® and GooglePlay™.
- *3Remote shooting is not supported. The optional ML-L3 Remote Control can be used for remote shooting.
- *4To automatically upload images to NIKON IMAGE SPACE, a Nikon ID must be registered. This is easily achieved via the [Nikon ID registration/change] menu in the SnapBridge app. An unlimited number and volume of images reduced to 2-megapixel equivalents can be uploaded to NIKON IMAGE SPACE only with upload via SnapBridge.
- The date of the release of the iOS version of the SnapBridge app from Apple's App Store® will be announced on the SnapBridge microsite as soon as it is determined.
- SnapBridge can be used only with compatible cameras.
- The camera's built-in Bluetooth® capability can only be used to connect the camera to a smart device running the SnapBridge app, and to take advantage of SnapBridge features.
2. Support for a wide variety of scenes with the range of standard sensitivities expanded to ISO 25600
The range of standard sensitivities supported by the D3400 has been expanded even further than that available with the D3300, supporting a range that begins at ISO 100 and extends to the incredibly high ISO 25600. This, in conjunction with the EXPEED 4 image-processing engine, enables recording of high-resolution photos and movies in which noise is suppressed, even with dark scenes such as those captured under dim indoor lighting, or night landscapes. An effective pixel count of approximately 24.2-megapixels and no optical low-pass filter allows the camera to make the most of the superior resolving power of NIKKOR lenses when shooting.
3. A Guide Mode that enables capture of beautiful photos, even by beginners
The D3400 is equipped with the Guide Mode that was so popular with the D3300. By simply following the "guides" (instructions), distant subjects can be brought closer or moving subjects frozen for precise capture when shooting, and images can be edited in a variety of ways, such as by softening the background and emphasizing the primary subject.
4. Increased battery performance (life) for worry-free use
The battery has been designed to consume little power, enabling capture of approximately 1,200 shots with a single charge*. This allows users to focus on shooting without worrying that the battery will be unexpectedly exhausted while out and about. What's more, the increase in D3400 battery performance (life) is sufficient to compensate for the additional power consumed with connection to a smart device via SnapBridge.
- *Measured in accordance with CIPA guidelines; when the AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR is used.
- The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Nikon Corporation is under license.
- Apple®, App Store®, the Apple logos, iPhone®, iPad®, and iPod touch® are trademarks of Apple Inc. registered in the U.S. and/or other countries.
- IOS is a trademark or registered trademark of Cisco Systems, Inc., in the United States and/or other countries and is used under license.
- Android™ and Google Play™ are trademarks of Google Inc.
- *Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacture.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.