Nikon D500 Digital SLR Camera Wins a Camera GP2017 Editors Award
May 19, 2017
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce that its D500 digital SLR camera is the recipient of a Camera GP (Grand Prix) 2017 Editors Award.
The Camera GP is an award that focuses primarily on cameras and lenses. It is sponsored by the Camera Journal Press Club (C.J.P.C./Japan), which was established in September 1963 and is made up of representatives from 10 print and online camera and photography magazines (as of April 2017). The winners of the Editors Awards, of which the D500 is one of this year's recipients, are selected from all cameras and imaging devices released between April 1, 2016 and March 31, 2017 with the exception of those selected as Camera and Lens of the Year, for their popularity, the buzz they have created, and the innovation they show, with judging by C.J.P.C. members.
The D500 has now won a total of three globally prestigious awards. In addition to a Camera GP2017 Editors Award, it was also the recipient of the TIPA Awards 2016's Best APS-C DSLR Expert award and the EISA Awards' European Prosumer DSLR Camera 2016-2017 award.
Reasons for D500 selection (Comments from the Committee)
The D500 is the long-awaited new high-end model in Nikon's line of APS-C format SLR cameras. It offers an excellent balance between performance and price, inheriting basic features such as its AF sensor from the D5, Nikon's 35mm  format "full-size" flagship model, yet available at a price the average consumer can afford. The D500 can be considered a camera that makes the APS-C format more appealing, with its tough and durable body, high-definition viewfinder, and more than sufficient continuous shooting performance, all worthy of a high-end model. It is equipped with a superior AF system comprised of focus points that cover a broad range of the frame, and capable of sharp and clear capture of moving subjects. At the present time, although the development of mirrorless cameras is remarkable, the D500 reminds us of the appeal of SLR cameras.
D500 Primary Features
- A next-generation 153-point AF system that demonstrates superior subject acquisition capabilities in any situation
- High-speed continuous shooting of up to 200 shots per burst at up to approx. 10 fps (14-bit RAW images with lossless compression)
- The compact system that the DX format can deliver for nimble shooting
- Responds to the needs of professionals with support for 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) movie recording
- Support for a broad range of standard sensitivities, ISO 100–51200, with additional expansion as high as Hi 5 (ISO 1640000 equivalent)
- Equipped with a 3.2-inch high-resolution tilting touch-screen monitor that helps to make shooting even more comfortable
- Supports SnapBridge, an app that enables seamless connection of the camera to a smart device
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.