Fast Standard Prime Manual-focus Lens, the NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct Receives the Camera GP 2020 "Editors Award"
May 18, 2020
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce that the NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct has received the Camera GP (Grand Prix) 2020 "Editors Award".
The Camera GP awards focus primarily on cameras and lenses, and are sponsored by the Camera Journal Press Club (CJPC/Japan), which was established in September 1963, and is comprised of editors from 10 print and online camera and photography magazines (as of April 2020). Recipients of the Camera GP 2020 awards were selected from products that were released between April 1, 2019 and March 31, 2020.
The NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct was selected by CJPC members as a winner of the "Editors Award", evaluated based on popularity, topicality, and innovation, from all cameras and imaging devices with the exception of those chosen as Camera and Lens of the Year.
The NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct has won numerous imaging and design-related awards across the globe since its release in October 2019. Among them are the Best Mirrorless Prime Standard Lens award at the TIPA World Awards 2020 and a Red Dot Award: Product Design 2020.
NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct Primary Features
- The symbol of the Nikon Z mount system's optical performance with the fastest* maximum aperture (f/0.95) in Nikon history
- The extremely shallow depth of field and large and beautiful bokeh possible only with a maximum aperture of f/0.95
- Outstanding resolution along the focal plane at any shooting distance from close-up to infinity, even at maximum aperture
- Unique spatial expression with ideal blur characteristics as the degree of bokeh transitions smoothly and naturally with increasing distance from the focal plane
- Incredible point-image reproduction characteristics that render point light sources as point images, making sharp and clear night landscapes and starscapes possible, even at maximum aperture
- Adoption of large-diameter ground aspherical lens elements made of glass with a high refractive index enables powerful, yet extremely precise, aberration correction
- *Among interchangeable lenses for Nikon cameras.
Reasons for NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct Selection (Comments from the Committee)
This lens was originally announced in 2018 when Nikon announced its new Z series line of mirrorless cameras. It was then clarified that the large-diameter mount adopted for the Z series was designed to make development of this incredibly fast (bright), standard prime lens possible. Therefore, it can be called the lens that symbolizes the Nikon Z mount system. It shows just how the large-diameter Z mount eliminates many of the restrictions of Nikon's conventional F mount for digital SLR cameras and enables greater flexibility in terms of design possibilities. The large-diameter mount and fast, f/0.95 maximum aperture have achieved the large and beautiful bokeh normally reserved for telephoto lenses with a standard lens. That shallow depth of field enables expression never before seen. It also exhibits excellent sharpness and clarity all the way to the extreme edges of the frame despite its incredibly fast maximum aperture. The Noct will certainly satisfy the desire of those willing to pay its high price for the unique expression this MF lens realizes. The number of orders for this lens has far exceeded the planned quantity. This seems to show the extreme level of expectation amateur and professional photographers have for not only this lens, but the new mount system in its entirety.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.