Nikon releases the standard zoom lens NIKKOR Z 24-50mm f/4-6.3
July 21, 2020
The shortest and lightest full-frame format zoom lens for mirrorless cameras
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the release of the NIKKOR Z 24-50mm f/4-6.3, a standard zoom lens compatible with full-frame format (Nikon FX-format) mirrorless cameras for which the Nikon Z mount has been adopted.
The NIKKOR Z 24-50mm f/4-6.3 is a standard zoom lens that possesses the superior optical performance of NIKKOR Z lenses despite its compact size and light weight. The lens features a button-free retractable barrel, and is the shortest*1 (approx. 51 mm*2) and lightest*1 (approx. 195 g) lens within full-frame format zoom lenses for mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses. The lens balances superior rendering capabilities and high portability. Its standard 24-50 mm range of focal lengths makes it the perfect choice to carry around for a wide variety of subjects and scenes.
The NIKKOR Z 24-50mm f/4-6.3 has been adopted as the kit lens for the Z 5 full-frame format mirrorless camera, also announced today. Superior mobility is achieved when used in combination with the Z 5.
Suitable also for video recording, drive sounds are effectively quietened by the AF mechanism for which a stepping motor (STM) has been adopted, and the aperture mechanism. A control ring, which can be used to smoothly control focus and exposure has also been adopted. The suppression of focus breathing, that can unexpectedly change the angle of view when focusing, enables more natural imaging.
The NIKKOR Z 24-50mm f/4-6.3 was born in response to the needs of those looking for a compact and lightweight lens that can be taken anywhere. It supports a wide variety of subjects and scenes, including landscapes, snapshots, portraits, and still life.
Nikon will continue to pursue a new dimension in optical performance while meeting users' needs, contributing to the development of imaging culture, with the hope of expanding possibilities for imaging expression.
- *1Among full-frame format zoom lenses for mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses, available as of July 21, 2020. Statement based on Nikon research.
- *2Distance from camera lens mount flange when lens is retracted.
- The shortest (approx. 51 mm) and lightest (approx. 195 g) full-frame format zoom lens for mirrorless cameras.
- Adoption of a button-free retractable barrel enables smooth shooting and recording at the desired moment.
- Optimal balance of superior optical performance and portability, characteristic of the Z mount system.
- Superior resolution that enables faithful rendering of even the finest details throughout the entire zoom range.
- Adoption of two ED glass elements provides superior compensation for axial chromatic aberration and effectively reduces color bleed.
- A minimum focus distance of 0.35 m throughout the entire zoom range.
- Drive sounds have been quietened by the AF mechanism for which a stepping motor (STM) has been adopted, and the aperture mechanism.
- A "click-less" control ring is adopted for smooth operation and in consideration of eliminating unnecessary operational sounds with video recording.
- Focus breathing control that is effective not only with movie recording, but also for focus shift shooting.
- Smooth aperture control with very little flicker.
- Designed with consideration to dust- and drip-resistance* with effective sealing against dust and water drops.
- *The lens is not guaranteed to be dust- and drip-resistant in all situations or under all conditions.
The NIKKOR Z lens lineup expansion to 2021 (updated)*
Nikon will continue to lead imaging culture by providing products that stimulate the creative imaginations of customers around the world, with a wide variety of high-quality lenses. The NIKKOR Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S is scheduled to be released before the end of the year, and will join the NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S and NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S in covering wide-angle, standard, and telephoto ranges, expanding the possibilities of imaging expression for high amateur and professional photographers alike.
- *As of July 21, 2020.
- This lineup is subject to change without prior notice.
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.