Nikon releases the NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S, a fast, standard prime lens for the Nikon Z mount system
September 16, 2020
Exhibits outstanding rendering performance and enables smooth and beautiful bokeh
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the release of the fast, standard prime lens NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S, that is compatible with full-frame (Nikon FX-format) mirrorless cameras for which the Nikon Z mount has been adopted.
The NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S is a fast, standard prime AF lens that has a maximum aperture of f/1.2, provides outstandingly beautiful and smooth bokeh, and is part of the S-Line*1. By attaining an ideal lens structure with perfect symmetry in front of, and behind, the aperture, the lens balances outstanding resolution and the beautiful bokeh of a shallow depth of field to realize a clear sense of perspective, while achieving the f/1.2 maximum aperture. Users can enjoy a more three-dimensional appearance in their photos and videos, with portrait photography as well as other scenes.
In addition, the lens offers superior resolution from the center of the frame to the edges, permitting users to frame their subject in the way that best suits their intent. What's more, the soft bokeh, possible only with a maximum aperture of f/1.2, exhibits very little color fringing, which further enhances the primary subject and enables the expression of a soft, dreamy feeling to the image.
Adoption of a multi-focusing system*2 provides extremely fast and accurate AF performance. Accurate focus can even be acquired with the shallow depth of field available at the f/1.2 maximum aperture. Furthermore, the NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S is the first*3 lens among interchangeable lenses for full-frame digital cameras with a maximum aperture of f/1.2 to employ stepping motors (STMs), which realize smooth and quiet focusing with video recording. When the lens is used in combination with the Z series' Eye-Detection AF function, maintaining sharp focus on the subject's eye becomes easier, even when photographing moving subjects during portrait photography.
Nikon will continue to pursue a new dimension in optical performance while meeting users' needs, contributing to the development of imaging culture, with the hope of expanding possibilities for imaging expression.
- *1The S-Line is a grade of NIKKOR Z lenses that demonstrate outstanding optical performance, adhering to a high standard of design principles and quality control.
- *2Multiple AF drive units work together to control the position of multiple focus lens groups with great precision for superior imaging performance regardless of shooting distance.
- *3Among interchangeable lenses for full-frame (Nikon FX-format) digital cameras with interchangeable lenses with a maximum aperture of f/1.2 available as of September 16, 2020. Statement based on Nikon research.
NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S primary features
- Balances superior resolving power and the smooth and beautiful bokeh of the f/1.2 maximum aperture's shallow depth of field.
- An ideal lens structure with perfect symmetry in front of, and behind, the aperture, realizes outstanding optical performance.
- Incredible resolution that faithfully reproduces the finest details throughout the entire frame.
- Gradated bokeh from the focal plane and outstandingly soft background bokeh.
- Adoption of Nano Crystal Coat and ARNEO Coat effectively reduces ghost and flare.
- Adoption of a multi-focusing system and stepping motors (STMs) realizes fast and accurate AF for still images and videos
- Designed to achieve superior dust- and drip-resistant performance* and equipped with an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism for superior convenience.
- Adoption of L-Fn (lens function) button and a lens information panel supports smooth operation.
- Focus breathing control that is effective not only with movie recording, but also for focus shift shooting.
- *The lens is not guaranteed to be dust- and drip-resistant in all situations or under all conditions.
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.