Nikon releases the Z 7II full-frame mirrorless camera
October 14, 2020
Evolution of the top-class Z-series model that maximizes the performance of the large-diameter Z mount, demonstrating outstanding rendering capabilities
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the release of the Z 7II full-frame (Nikon FX-format) mirrorless camera for which the Nikon Z mount has been adopted.
The Z 7II is a full-frame, high-resolution mirrorless camera with a 45.7 megapixel sensor that achieves realistic rendering. The Z 7II is able to fully harness the optical performance of NIKKOR Z lenses, which maximize the rich light taken in through the Z mount, with a diameter of 55 mm — the largest among full-frame format mirrorless cameras* – the result of which is outstanding rendering. While inheriting the superior rendering capabilities of the Nikon Z 7, reliability as an imaging tool, as well as operability have been further improved. Additionally, it demonstrates superior subject acquisition performance, as well as enabling efficient shooting workflow. The Z 7II supports the creative activities of professional and advanced amateur photographers, and is especially effective for shooting scenes that require detailed rendering, such as landscapes and portraits.
Nikon will continue to pursue a new dimension in optical performance while meeting users' needs, contributing to the development of imaging culture, with the hope of expanding possibilities for imaging expression.
- *As of October 14, 2020. Statement based on Nikon research.
- 1.Outstanding rendering and rich expression enabled with the combination of a wide variety of NIKKOR Z lenses
Adoption of a backside illumination Nikon FX-format CMOS sensor with an effective pixel count of 45.7 megapixels realizes a standard sensitivity range of ISO 64-25600*. In combination with the lineup of NIKKOR Z lenses, which has expanded to 18 models including teleconverters, the Z mount system's optical performance is maximized to deliver images that possess both the high-resolution rendering only possible from a high-pixel-count camera, as well as beautiful blur characteristics (bokeh). Users can enjoy the expression of the finest textures and details in their subject. In addition, the sharpness parameters in Picture Control can be adjusted depending on the subject and application, enabling users to produce images that have a more three-dimensional and realistic feeling.
- *Sensitivity can be reduced to the equivalent of ISO 32 and up to the equivalent of ISO 102400.
- 2.Adoption of Dual EXPEED 6 for greater subject acquisition performance
The Z 7II is equipped with Dual EXPEED 6, that employs two EXPEED 6 image-processing engines. This increases the number of shots possible with a single burst of continuous shooting (buffer capacity) to approximately 77*1, roughly triple that of the Z 7, and an increase in the frame advance rate at a setting of Continuous H (extended) to 10 fps*2. Eye-Detection AF and Animal-Detection AF can also be used in wide-area AF (L) AF-area mode, making it possible to focus only on the eyes of the intended subject. AF performance has also been improved, enabling AF shooting in situations and places as dark as -3 EV*3. The Z 7II also supports subject-tracking AF that provides operation similar to that of 3D-tracking on digital SLR cameras. Moreover, subject tracking can be assigned to one of the custom controls. Furthermore, the Z 7II is equipped with a function that maintains focus position when the camera is turned off. The electronic viewfinder, which utilizes Nikon's superior optical and image-processing technologies to offer a clear and natural view, supports an increase in the live view display frame count between shots, enabling smooth display during continuous shooting and contributing to better accuracy in the capture of moving subjects.
- *112-bit lossless compressed RAW, when using a 128GB CFexpress (Type B) memory card
- *2With [Single-point AF] selected, and JPEG/RAW in 12 bit only.
- *3Using AF-S at f/2.0, ISO 100 and 20°C/68°F with the center focus point selected in single-point AF area mode.
- 3.Reliability that powerfully supports the professional's workflow in the field
Support for USB power delivery while on*1, in addition to conventional USB charging, allows users to comfortably focus on shooting for longer periods of time. Further, by utilizing the newly added energy saving (photo mode) option, the number of possible shots can be increased to approximately 380 shots*2. With use of the new MB-N11 Power Battery Pack, ideal for vertical shooting, the number of possible shots can be increased by as much as approximately 1.9x*3. Morever, the adoption of Dual EXPEED 6 has enabled support for dual card slots without compromising the rate at which images are written to the memory cards. In addition to CFexpress (Type B) and XQD memory cards that achieve fast read and write rates, SD (UHS-II) memory cards can also be used. More effective and rapid recording of images increases the overall efficiency of the user's workflow in the field.
- *1Using an EN-EL15b/ EN-EL15c Rechargeable Li-ion Battery.
- *2Camera and Imaging Products Association (CIPA) standard. Measured at 23 °C/73.4 °F (±2 °C/3.6 °F) with a NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S lens and a SONY CEB-G128 memory card under the following test conditions: one photograph taken at default settings once every 30 s.
- *3With an optional battery pack attached with two fully charged EN-EL15c Rechargeable Li-ion batteries. Endurance varies with the condition of the battery, the temperature, the interval between shots, and the length of time menus are displayed.
- 4.Other features
- Superior dust- and drip-resistance enables worry-free shooting in harsh environments.
- A large, 3.2-in., approximately 2100k-dot monitor with a tilting mechanism.
- Portions of the information display can be hidden with still-image shooting and video recording, allowing the preview of the scene and composition all the way to the edges of the frame.
- Support for Eye-Detection AF and Animal-Detection AF during video recording.
- Nikon's exclusive N-Log function*1 can be used to achieve a broad dynamic range with 10-bit video output.
- Simultaneous recording of time-lapse movies with interval timer shooting.
- A long-exposure manual (M*) mode that supports exposure times up to 900 s, convenient for shooting scenes that require long exposure time, such as starry skies.
- With MF, users have the option to change the rotation direction of the focus ring.
- Supports output of 4K UHD*2 and full-HD video in 12-bit RAW format*1, 3, *4, responding to advanced video-recording needs.
- In-camera vibration reduction (VR) that provides camera-shake compensation equivalent to a 5.0-stop*5 increase in shutter speed.
- The camera's latest firmware can be updated to the latest version via the SnapBridge app (Ver. 2.7), without using a computer or card reader.
- *1Footage is recorded only to the external device; it cannot be recorded to the memory card inserted in the camera.
- *2The frame rate selected for [Frame size/frame rate] differs from the rate displayed in the monitor during shooting and playback.
- *3RAW video output is possible only with full-HD videos recorded in the FX-based video format and 4K UHD videos recorded in the DX-based video format.
- *4The RAW video output function can be enabled by a Nikon service facility for a fee.
- *5Measured in accordance with CIPA standards (using the NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S at the maximum telephoto position).
MB-N11 Power Battery Pack primary features
The MB-N11 Power Battery Pack is the first battery pack for the Z series, and is ideal for vertical shooting. It is compatible with the Z 7II and the Z 6II. It has a grip that offers the same firm and comfortable hold as the cameras themselves, and provides great stability when a lens is mounted on the camera. It also achieves superior dust- and drip-resistance. Additionally, the MB-N11 Power Battery Pack supports a hot-swap system that allows the battery to be changed without interrupting shooting. Furthermore, the MB-N11 Power Battery Pack is compatible with USB power delivery, enabling power supply to the camera via a portable charger*1, *2 or AC adapter while connected to a computer, in addition to supporting stand-alone USB charging. The MB-N11 Power Battery Pack is perfect not only for scenes that require vertical shooting, such as portrait photography, but also for capturing shots for time-lapse landscapes, and moving subjects like trains and airplanes.
- *1Please use a USB cable with a type C connector that is included in the portable charger (Anker PowerCore+ 26800 PD 45W) that have been tested and approved for use.
- *2The only batteries that can be charged from portable chargers are the EN-EL15c and EN-EL15b.
The NIKKOR Z Lens Lineup Expansion to 2022
Nikon will continue to lead imaging culture by providing products that stimulate the creative imaginations of customers around the world with a wide variety of high-quality lenses.
- *Information in the Lens Lineup, including release dates, are subject to change.
- *CFexpress is a trademark of the CompactFlash Association in the United States and other countries.
- *XQD is a trademark of Sony Corporation.
- *Other trade names mentioned in this document are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.