Nikon releases the NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8 (SE), a compact and lightweight prime lens for the Nikon Z mount system
June 29, 2021
Adoption of a heritage design that matches the Z fc camera
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the release of the NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8 (SE), a compact and lightweight prime lens that is compatible with full-frame (Nikon FX-format) mirrorless cameras for which the Nikon Z mount has been adopted. It is also the kit lens for the Z fc, an APS-C size (Nikon DX-format) mirrorless camera also released today.
Details regarding the Z fc can be found in the following press release, issued today:
The NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8 (SE) is a compact and lightweight wide-angle prime lens with a heritage design that matches the Z fc body. When mounted on a DX-format camera, images can be captured at the standard 42 mm (equivalent to 35mm  format) angle of view. With a total length of approximately 43 mm and a weight of roughly 160 g, this lens is extremely portable. The NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8 (SE) is perfect not only for snapshots that take advantage of the 28 mm wide-angle of view, but also its minimum focus distance of 0.19 m enables close-up photography. It is a fast prime lens that can be easily carried around for everyday snapshots including landscapes, cityscapes, and other subjects.
The "(SE)" in the product name is short for "Special Edition". The lens inherits its design from the classic NIKKOR lenses released around the same time as the Nikon FM2 film SLR camera. With features that faithfully reproduce the designs of that time, such as knurling, as well as a prominent control ring, the NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8 (SE) conveys a classic atmosphere that matches the Z fc camera body. Moreover, thanks to its smooth autofocusing and a design with consideration of dust- and drip-resistant performance*, this lens is very easy and reliable to use, even for people who are new to mirrorless cameras.
Paired with the Z fc, the NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8 (SE) offers superior functionality when shooting, while also bringing aesthetic enjoyment to its users.
Nikon will continue to pursue a new dimension in optical performance while meeting users' needs, contributing to the development of imaging culture, with the hope of expanding possibilities for imaging expression.
- *Thorough dust- and drip-resistance is not guaranteed in all situations or under all conditions.
- Adoption of a heritage design that matches the Z fc.
- A compact and lightweight body with a total length of approximately 43 mm and weight of approximately 160 g.
- The fast f/2.8 maximum aperture reduces the effects of camera shake, even during hand-held shooting.
- The focal length becomes 42 mm (equivalent to 35mm  format) when mounted on a DX-format camera.
- A minimum focus distance of 0.19 m allows users to get close to their subjects for dynamic photography.
- The first NIKKOR Z lens that is not part of the S-Line*1 series for which a multi-focusing system*2 has been adopted, realizing natural rendering across the entire shooting range, as well as fast and accurate AF control, while maintaining a smaller body size.
- Designed with consideration of dust- and drip-resistant performance so that it can be taken anywhere with greater confidence.
- Functions such as aperture and exposure compensation can be assigned to the control ring.
- Developed with consideration for video recording with extremely quiet operation, effective focus-breathing compensation, and stable exposure.
- *1The S-Line is a grade of NIKKOR Z lenses that demonstrate outstanding optical performance, adhering to a high standard of design principles and quality control.
- *2Multiple AF drive units work together to control the position of multiple focus lens groups with great precision for superior image formation performance regardless of shooting distance.
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.