Nikon releases the NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S, a fast, super-telephoto prime lens with a built-in 1.4x teleconverter for the Nikon Z mount system
January 19, 2022
Delivering beautiful bokeh and high resolution with highly reliable capture of decisive moments
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the release of the NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S, a fast, super-telephoto prime lens compatible with full-frame (Nikon FX-format) mirrorless cameras for which the Nikon Z mount has been adopted. The development of this lens was announced on October 28, 2021.
The NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S, the first NIKKOR Z super-telephoto prime lens, belongs to the S-Line*1 of NIKKOR Z lenses, which pursues the ultimate in optical performance. It realizes the rendering of realistic images by achieving large, beautiful bokeh unique to the f/2.8 fast maximum aperture, and high resolution. Additionally, the lens features a newly developed coating — Meso Amorphous Coat — that boasts the highest anti-reflection performance in NIKKOR history, handling incident light from various directions effectively. The result is superbly clear pictures even in the scenes that are most susceptible to ghost and flare. Further, the NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S adopts the newly developed Silky Swift VCM (SSVCM)*2 for its AF drive, allowing fast, highly accurate and quiet AF control. Adoption of a built-in teleconverter extends the focal length by 1.4x, allowing the lens to cover two focal lengths — 400 mm and 560 mm. Yet it also features a lightweight body of approx. 2,950 g, giving consideration to portability. Highly agile shooting is ensured in diverse situations, reliably supporting the image expression of professional photographers.
Nikon will continue to pursue a new dimension in optical performance while meeting users' needs, contributing to the development of imaging culture, with the hope of expanding possibilities for imaging expression.
- *1The S-Line is a grade of NIKKOR Z lenses that demonstrate outstanding optical performance, adhering to a high standard of design principles and quality control.
- *2A new AF drive actuator that combines a VCM (voice coil motor) and a guide mechanism developed by Nikon. The VCM is a motor in which a coil reciprocates in a strong magnetic field created by a strong magnet.
- Employs a new coating, Meso Amorphous Coat, that provides the highest anti-reflection performance in NIKKOR history.
- Adopts the newly developed Silky Swift VCM (SSVCM), which enables fast, highly accurate and quiet AF control.
- Various aberrations, including chromatic aberration, are effectively compensated with the adoption of two ED glass elements, a super ED glass element, two fluorite lens elements, and an SR lens element, which also contributes to a lightweight body.
- Features a built-in teleconverter that extends the focal length by 1.4x, allowing the lens to cover two focal lengths — 400 mm and 560 mm. The easily accessible teleconverter switch enables smooth changing of the focal length without changing shooting posture.
- Consideration given to lighter weight with adoption of a fluorite lens element and magnesium alloy.
- Supports an optical VR function with an effect equivalent to a shutter speed 5.5 stops faster*1, with a powerful effect regardless of whether the teleconverter is in use. Synchro VR is available when paired with the Nikon Z 9.
- Superior dust- and drip-resistant performance*2 is ensured by sealing adopted in various areas including movable parts of the lens barrel as well as a rubber gasket around the lens mount, while excellent anti-fouling performance is achieved with a fluorine coat on the surface of the front-most lens element.
- The first NIKKOR Z lens to adopt the Memory Recall function, with which a frequently used focus position can be stored and quickly recalled by rotating the Fn ring.
- Video recording is supported by incredibly quiet operation, focus breathing compensation that effectively reduces shifting of the angle of view when adjusting focus, and natural exposure changes when altering the aperture.
- Adoption of a control ring enables smooth operation for comfortable video recording.
- Supports use of the Z TELECONVERTER TC-1.4x and Z TELECONVERTER TC-2.0x.
- *1Based on CIPA Standard. This value is achieved when attached to a camera with full-frame (Nikon FX-format) sensor, with the camera's VR function set to "NORMAL".
- *2Thorough dust- and drip-resistance is not guaranteed in all situations or under all conditions.
- ·Firmware for the cameras must be updated to the latest available versions before use.
Do not use this product if you have a pacemaker or use other medical devices. The magnets in this product could cause medical devices to malfunction.
- Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.