Compact 5.3x zoom DX-NIKKOR lens with SWM and VR II
Tokyo – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of the AF-S DX-NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens featuring Nikon's Silent Wave Motor and Vibration Reduction II. The new wide ratio zoom DX-NIKKOR lens boasts a focal length range of 16 to 85mm, which makes it ideal for a broad range of shooting situations, including indoor-outdoor events, streetscapes, portraits and scenery. When mounted on any DX-format Nikon digital SLR camera, the picture angle is equivalent to that produced by a 24 to 127.5mm focal length lens on a 35mm film camera.
An ultra-compact Silent Wave Motor (SWM) built into the lens body ensures fast, quiet and accurate autofocus operation and complements the compact, lightweight design for superb handling. With dimensions of only Ø72 x 85 mm/Ø2.8 x 3.4 in., this new lens is ideal for general photography and perfectly suited for many who specialize in travel and nature photography.
Nikon's Vibration Reduction II, specifically engineered for each NIKKOR lens, gives photographers the ability to shoot at shutter speeds up to four stops* slower than would otherwise be possible, thereby minimizing image blur caused by camera shake. This enables dramatically sharper handheld shooting at dusk or at night, or even in poorly lit interiors. And because Nikon’s VR function is incorporated in and designed expressly for the lens, it provides state-of-the-art image sharpness capacity and a stable viewfinder image, which makes framing and composing a scene far more comfortable and accurate.
- *As determined in Nikon performance tests
The new high-performance optical system has been optimized for Nikon digital SLRs, with two ED glass elements, three aspherical lenses that deliver higher resolution, high-contrast images while minimizing chromatic aberration. Nikon’s Super Integrated Coating ensures outstanding color balance and reproduction while greatly reducing ghosting and flare. The rounded 7-blade diaphragm opening gives out-of-focus background elements a more natural appearance. The lens offers a short closest focus distance of 0.38 m/1.3 ft. throughout the entire zoom range.
The AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, a significant addition to the DX-NIKKOR lens lineup, is certain to become a favorite of photographers who seek a wide-ratio zoom with exceptional wide-angle capability along with a telephoto perspective ideal for portraiture.
DX-NIKKOR lenses are engineered and optimized for use on Nikon DX-format and FX-format digital SLR cameras. When mounted on an FX-format digital SLR, the camera’s DX-Crop Mode is automatically engaged, altering the image capture area accordingly. DX-NIKKOR lenses are not compatible with 35mm  or IX240 [APS] format film cameras.
- *Specifications, design, standard accessories, and release schedule may differ by country or area.
AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Major Features
- 5.3x zoom lens covering a wide focal range of 16 to 85mm (picture angle is equivalent to focal length of 24 to 127.5mm in the 35mm format)
- Vibration Reduction II enables sharper pictures while shooting at shutter speeds up to four stops slower than would otherwise be possible
- Optical design optimized for superior performance with Nikon digital SLRs
- ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements minimize chromatic aberration while providing higher resolution and superior contrast
- Three aspherical lens elements minimize various types of lens aberration
- High-performance Nikon Super Integrated Coating achieves superior color reproduction while substantially reducing ghosting and flare
- Nikon’s exclusive Silent Wave Motor ensures fast, quiet autofocus operation
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm opening makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural
- 0.38 m/1.3 ft. closest focus distance throughout the entire zoom range
- Accepts 67 mm filter attachments
AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Specifications
Swipe horizontally to view full table.
|Focal length||16-85 mm|
|Lens construction||17 elements in 11 groups (with two ED glass elements, three aspherical lenses)|
|Picture angle||83° - 18°50'|
|Closest focus distance||0.38 m/1.3 ft. (throughout the entire zoom range)|
|Maximum reproduction ratio||1/4.6|
|No. of diaphragm blades||7 (rounded)|
|Diameter x length (extension from lens mount)||Approx. 72 x 85 mm/2.8 x 3.4 in.|
|Weight||Approx. 485 g/17.1 oz.|
|Supplied accessories||67 mm snap-on front lens cap LC-67, Rear lens cap LF-1,Bayonet hood HB-39, Flexible lens pouch CL-1015|
|Optional accessories||67 mm screw-in filters|
- *Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer. January 2008
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.