Nikon Vision Co., Ltd., a subsidiary of Nikon Corporation, is pleased to announce the release of its EDG Fieldscopes 85 VR and 85-A VR, new models in the Nikon Sport Optics flagship EDG series.
These new EDG VR Fieldscope models are the world's first*1 fieldscopes to incorporate the lens-shift type VR function. The vibration reduction algorithm, based on Nikon's sophisticated VR mechanism used in NIKKOR VR lenses, has been optimized for these scopes.
The VR function accurately compensates external vibrations caused by wind and operations such as focusing, panning and tilting. The VR function makes composition easy by reducing vibrations to approximately 1/8*2 of image blur caused by vibrations during normal observation. This also enhances focusing accuracy even when manual focus is used during super-telephoto digiscoping. The system provides an effective equivalent to a shutter speed approximately two stops*2 faster and is especially effective when digiscoping in bad conditions such as windy weather.
- The world's first fieldscopes featuring Nikon's lens-shift type VR (Vibration Reduction) system (as of October 2011)
- It reduces vibrations to approximately 1/8*2 during observation, providing the equivalent of a shutter speed approximately two stops*2 faster in digiscoping
- Easy VR operation; after turning the VR lock knob, pressing the VR button once activates the function
- VR function turns off automatically after approximately 30 minutes of turning VR on (Auto power off function)
- Readily available AA-size batteries are used
- Extra-low dispersion (ED) glass for chromatic aberration compensation and brighter, clearer viewing
- Phase-correction-coated roof prism for high resolution
- Dielectric high-reflective multilayer prism coating on roof prism for the brightest view (straight model only)
- All lenses and prisms are multilayer-coated for the brightest images
- Waterproof (up to 2 m/6.6 ft. for 10 minutes)*3 and fog free with nitrogen gas (body/eyepiece joint and body/battery holder joint are water-resistant*4)
- Stylish design
- Three tripod mount screw holes provided for flexible mounting; optimum balance achieved through CAE (Computer Aided Engineering)
- Seven eyepieces exclusively for EDG Fieldscopes are optionally available
- Built-in sliding hood protects objective lens
- *1As of October, 2011
- *2Based on Nikon Fieldscope measuring standard (used with tripod)
- *3Not designed for underwater usage
- *4Water resistance: As tested by water equivalent to 1 mm per minute, falling from a height of more than 200 mm for a duration of 10 minutes (in normal use with an eyepiece correctly attached to the main body).
Swipe horizontally to view full table.
|EDG VR Fieldscopes||EDG Fieldscope 85 VR||EDG Fieldscope 85-A VR|
|Objective diameter (mm)||85||85|
|Close focusing distance (m)||5.0||5.0|
|Height × width (mm)*5||141 × 104||141 × 104|
|Weight (g)*5||2,400 (without batteries)||2,400 (without batteries)|
|Vibration Reduction effects (at 25 °C)*6||Observation: Degree of vibration is reduced to approx. 1/8
Digiscoping: Equivalent of a shutter speed approx. 2 stops faster
|Power source||AA alkaline battery ×4, AA lithium battery ×4 or AA Ni-MH (nickel metal hydride) battery ×4|
|Battery life (at 25 °C)*7||Approx. 17 hours (AA alkaline battery), approx. 31 hours (AA lithium battery), approx. 15 hours [AA Ni-MH (nickel metal hydride) battery]|
- *5Body only
- *6Based on Nikon Fieldscope measuring standard (used with tripod)
- *7Battery life varies depending on conditions, temperature and vibration.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.