Nikon Corporation (Makoto Kimura, President, Tokyo) today announced a reorganization of its corporate structure to build a foundation designed to support sustainable growth and establish a more robust corporate culture.
Nikon aims to build a stronger, growing business portfolio by further solidifying its core businesses of imaging and precision equipment while enhancing its instruments and medical businesses.
This structural reorganization is indispensable for Nikon to respond agilely to the changing business environment and to realize sustainable growth. This is the most transformative reorganization for the company since the introduction of its in-house company system in October 1999.
Date of execution
June 27, 2014
1. Conduct fundamental structural reform
To enable fundamental structural reform so that top-level decisions are more directly reflected in its business management, Nikon has decided to move away from the in-house company system, which has existed for about 15 years, and move on to divisional organization under direct control of the President.
2. Revitalize corporate strategy functions
The new Corporate Strategy Division will clarify, plan and promote Nikon’s corporate direction and strategy. This division is responsible for corporate structural reform through investing and allocating corporate resources in a strategic, agile manner. The division has a department dedicated to exploring the utilization of external resources, including potential M&As or collaboration with other companies.
3. Strengthen human resource management
Human resources are the key to the sustainable growth of any company, so Nikon will improve the utilization of its human resources and training. Nikon promotes internal job rotation to nurture talent essential to the future of the company by enabling staff members to experience a wider variety of roles.
4. Accelerate the creation of new businesses
To reinforce its business portfolio, Nikon is establishing the Medical Business Development Division to generate and nurture new businesses in the areas of health and medical care.
Outline of management reform
- The former Corporate Planning HQ becomes to the new Corporate Strategy Division. It is responsible for setting mid-term and long-term group strategies, reforming group business structure, management processes, corporate organization and governance. The division also handles brand strategy, operation related to CSR strategy, corporate communication and investor relations.
- The Business Administration Center will be replaced by the new Human Resources & Administration Division and the Business Support Division. The Human Resources & Administration Division will take charge of the management of group-wide human resources and administrative matters. The Business Support Division is in charge of group-wide procurement management, facility management, quality control and environmental management.
- The Medical Business Development Division is to be established. This division is responsible for generating and nurturing new businesses in the areas of health and medical care.
- The Core Technology Center is to be reorganized as the Core Technology Division.
- The Precision Equipment Company is to be divided into the Semiconductor Lithography Business Unit and the FPD Lithography Business Unit.
- The Imaging Company is to be reorganized as the Imaging Business Unit.
- The Instruments Company is to be divided into the Microscope Solutions Business Unit and the Industry Metrology Business Unit.
- The encoder business section will become independent from the Business Development HQ as the Encoder Business Unit.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.