The world's lightest*1 5x normal zoom lens compatible with the Nikon DX format
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of the AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR, a 5x normal zoom lens compatible with Nikon DX-format digital SLR cameras.
The AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR is a fast, 5x normal zoom lens that supports angles of view for focal lengths of 16-80mm (effective angles of view equivalent to those of a lens with 24-120mm focal lengths in FX-format/35mm  format), as well as a maximum aperture of f/2.8 at the maximum wide-angle position.
It is the world's lightest*1 lens, combining superior performance with excellent portability, further maximizing the agility of Nikon's DX-format digital SLR camera system. The AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR is a high-performance lens that boasts superior optical performance and Nikon's exclusive technologies. In addition to a built-in VR mechanism that enables nimble, yet full-scale hand-held shooting with vibration reduction compensation equal to a 4.0-stop*2 increase in shutter speed, it is the first lens compatible with DX-format digital SLR cameras to be equipped with a built-in electromagnetic diaphragm, and for which Nano Crystal Coat and fluorine coat have been adopted.
The latest optical design and fast maximum aperture respond to the vigorous photographic needs of professional and advanced amateur photographers by enabling capture of a wide variety of scenes, beginning with true wide-angle photography.
Primary AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR Features
- Equipped with a vibration reduction (VR) mechanism that effectively compensates for camera shake (camera shake compensation equivalent to a 4.0-stop*2 increase in shutter speed)
- Adoption of Nano Crystal Coat, aspherical lens elements and ED glass elements for superior optical performance with which chromatic aberration and ghost are suppressed
- Equipped with an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism that achieves stable auto-exposure with high-speed continuous shooting
- Adoption of Nikon's exclusive and highly durable fluorine coat, which effectively repels water and oils, and makes cleaning the lens easier even when it does get dirty, on the outer surfaces of the extreme front and rear lens elements
- *1Among 5x normal zoom autofocus (AF) lenses with a maximum aperture of f/2.8 at the maximum wide-angle position for digital SLR cameras equipped with image sensors equivalent to the APS-C size available as of July 2, 2015. Statement based on Nikon research.
- *2Measured in accordance with CIPA standards using a DX-format digital SLR camera. Measured at the maximum telephoto position.
- *Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacture.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.