Digital Compact Camera Nikon COOLPIX S600
January 29, 2008
Making photography more beautiful and more fun with the premium quality of the world’s smallest body*1 and fastest start-up time*2
TOKYO – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of the COOLPIX S600, a stylish new camera that squeezes swift start-up time, advanced functions and outstanding photographic performance into the world’s most compact body*. Built on a custom application of Nikon's innovative EXPEED digital image processing concept and incorporating the precision optics of a NIKKOR lens, the COOLPIX S600 is a powerful photographic tool that offers the added pleasure of sophisticated design and go-anywhere, shoot-anytime fun.
The COOLPIX S600 teams 10 effective megapixels of sharp resolution with ultra-swift response, and maintains image clarity even at sensitivity settings as high as ISO 3200.
A 4x Zoom-NIKKOR lens featuring Nikon's optical lens shift VR image stabilization enhances compositional freedom with 28mm wide-angle capability (35mm format equivalent) and the range to ably cover everything from panoramic landscapes to close-up portraits.
The COOLPIX S600 delivers high-speed auto focus performance and the world’s fastest start-up time*1, 2 within 0.7 seconds and realizes fast AF.
The clean lines, solid feel and reassuringly firm hold of its metallic body demonstrate dedication to quality materials and fine craftsmanship. Large buttons and the user-friendly rotary multi selector are carefully positioned to provide intuitive operation, and the clear, bright image offered by large 2.7-inch LCD monitor makes it a pleasure to use, in or out of doors. The COOLPIX S600 will be available in a choice of Titanium Silver, Urban Black or Pink Gold body colors. (Color availability may vary according to region.)
- *1Among compact digital cameras equipped with 28mm (35mm format equivalent) zoom lens and optical vibration reduction as of January 29, 2008 (according to research conducted by NIKON CORPORATION).
- *2Based on CIPA industry standard.
- Note:Specifications, design, standard accessories, and release schedule may differ by country or area.
Nikon COOLPIX S600 Feature Highlights
Proven lens shift VR image stabilization for sharper results
Optical lens shift VR (Vibration Reduction) image stabilization helps achieve sharper results by applying field proven technology originally developed for Nikon SLR camera lenses to counteract camera shake in lower light or when shooting moving subjects. Active full time, VR also stabilizes images displayed on the 2.7-inch high-resolution LCD monitor for easier framing and more reassured shooting.
ISO 3200 capability provides extended shooting range
Extended light sensitivity range with manual settings up to ISO 3200 adds the power to shoot more effectively in lower lighting conditions, or to capture moving subjects with outstanding clarity. Automatic sensitivity control is also available, freeing you to concentrate on the shot while the camera selects the optimal setting across a range between ISO 100 and ISO 800.
Large 2.7-inch LCD monitor for quality viewing and easier menu operation
Practically defying the COOLPIX S600’s compact body proportions is a high quality 2.7-inch LCD monitor with improved shooting displays and revised icons. Features include approx. 230k-dots of high resolution and a wide 160-degree horizontal and vertical viewing angle.
New Active Child mode for carefree shooting with beautiful results
Active Child mode joins the lineup of 14 different scene modes and three movie modes tuned to produce the best results to match the moment. In Active Child mode, simply frame and select your subject before shooting. The camera then tracks and focuses on that moving subject as you shoot for faster, more reassuring operation with clearer results.
Nikon COOLPIX S600 Other Features
- Three Unique Nikon Image Innovations
– Face-priority AF, In-Camera Red-Eye Fix, D-Lighting
- Active Zoom allows smoother zooming for close-ups
- New Pastel mode produces bright images with a watercolor effect
- Macro shooting from as close as 3 cm (1.2 in.)
- Time zone function for easy setting of multiple locations
- SDHC card compatibility
- Approx. 45 MB of internal memory
- USB connectivity
- PictBridge support
Nikon Digital Camera COOLPIX S600 Specifications
|Effective pixels||10.0 million|
|Image sensor||1/2.33-in. CCD; total pixels: approx. 10.34 million|
|Lens||4x Zoom-NIKKOR; 5.0-20.0mm (35mm  format picture angle: 28-112mm); f/2.7-5.8; 7 elements in 6 groups; Digital zoom: up to 4x (35mm  format picture angle: 448mm)|
|Focus range (from lens)||50cm (1 ft. 7.7 in.) to infinity (∞), Macro close-up mode: 3cm (1.2 in.) to infinity (∞)|
|Monitor||2.7-in., approx. 230k-dot, wide viewing angle TFT LCD with anti-reflection coating|
|Storage media||Internal memory (approx. 45 MB), SD memory cards|
|Image size (pixels)||3648 x 2736 (High: 3648/Normal: 3648), 3072 x 2304 (Normal: 3072), 2592 x 1944 (Normal: 2592), 2048 x 1536 (Normal: 2048), 1024 x 768 (PC: 1024), 640 x 480 (TV: 640)|
|Vibration Reduction (VR)||Optical lens shift VR|
|ISO sensitivity||ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, Auto (auto gain ISO 100-800), High-Sensitivity mode (ISO 100-2000)|
|Power sources||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL10 (supplied), AC Adapter EH-62D (optional)|
|Battery life||Approx. 190 shots with EN-EL10 battery|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||Approx. 88.5 x 53 x 22.5 mm (3.5 x 2.1 x 0.9 in.) excluding projections|
|Weight||Approx. 130 g (4.6 oz.) without battery and SD memory card|
|Supplied accessories*||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL10, Battery Charger MH-63, USB Cable UC-E6, Audio Video Cable EG-CP14, Strap AN-CP14, AC power cord PW-EH30, Software Suite CD-ROM|
|Optional accessories||AC Adapter EH-62D|
- *Supplied accessories may differ by country or area.
|OS||Macintosh: Mac OS X version 10.3.9, 10.4.x
Windows: Windows Vista (32bit), Windows XP Home Edition/Professional pre-installed models
|Note||CD-ROM drive required for installation. Only built-in USB ports are supported.|
- Microsoft®, Windows® and Windows VistaTM are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Macintosh®, Mac® OS and QuickTime® are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. The SDHC logo is a trademark. PictBridge is a trademark. D-Lighting technology is provided by Apical Limited. The FotoNation logo is a trademark. Products and brand names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
- Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer. January 2008
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.