Digital Compact Camera Nikon COOLPIX S560
August 7, 2008
High performance, advanced functions, and stylish elegance make it more fun to capture smiles consistently and beautifully
Tokyo — Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of the COOLPIX S560, a stylish new camera that elegantly packs high performance and advanced functions into the smallest body in its class*1. Built on a custom application of Nikon's innovative EXPEED digital image-processing concept and incorporating the precision optics of a NIKKOR lens, the COOLPIX S560 brings new ease and fun to capturing smiling faces in the full beauty of special moments.
The COOLPIX S560 teams 10 effective megapixels of sharp resolution and the high performance, faithful color reproduction and subtle tones of its optimized processing system with the enhanced compositional freedom of a 5x Zoom-NIKKOR lens. Employing four aspherical elements, this high-quality lens ably covers shooting from normal through super-telephoto focal ranges, and also allows macro shooting from as close as 10 cm (4 in.) to a subject.
Unique functions for the COOLPIX S560 help make it easier to shoot beautiful portraits and faithfully record precious smiles. Smile Mode automatically releases the shutter when the selected subject smiles, helping to faithfully record precious smiles in the brief instants they appear. The Smile Indicator, activated via Portrait mode, displays a gauge that changes when a smile is detected. And Blink Warning displays a message when it detects that a subject has blinked, offers quick magnified visual confirmation, and allows the shot to be retaken immediately and get the desired results.
Uncompromising quality extends to the build and exterior treatments of the COOLPIX S560. Features include the distinctive contrast of beautiful curves and artistically sculpted lines of Nikon's stylish design, as well as large controls and a comfortable thumb rest that provide a great fit and simplify operation. The COOLPIX S560 will be available in a choice of Warm Silver, Blue, Pink, Red, and Black*2.
- *1Among 10 megapixel compact cameras equipped with optical vibration reduction and retractable 5x zoom as of August 7, 2008 (according to research conducted by Nikon Corporation).
- *2Color availability may vary according to region.
- Note:Specifications, design, product name, standard accessories, and release schedule may differ by country or area.
Nikon COOLPIX S560 Feature Highlights
Automated and optimized operating modes
Nikon's new Scene Auto Selector enhances the carefree shooting experience by automatically distinguishing the setting and then selecting the scene mode appropriate to that situation. Food Mode makes it easy to capture delectable close-ups of cuisine at the dinner table, even allowing for white balance to be adjusted while shooting. Allowing complete image management, the new Auto Sort automatically categorizes images into folders for easy access. With Favorite Pictures Playback, selected images in the Favorite folders can be viewed as a show.
VR image stabilization for sharper results
Compensating for the effects of camera shake to realize sharper results and contribute to a more reassuring shooting experience, image sensor shift VR (Vibration Reduction) image stabilization frees you to enjoy capturing special moments without worrying about slight hand movements. This is particularly helpful when taking advantage of the 5x zoom lens' telephoto focal lengths, or when shooting in lower lighting conditions.
ISO 3200 capability provides extended shooting range
Light sensitivity can be manually set as high as ISO 3200*, adding the power to shoot sharper, more natural-looking photos in lower lighting conditions or to capture fast moving subjects with outstanding clarity. And the new image-processing system produces clear results with minimal noise when shooting with high ISO settings. Auto ISO control is also available, with the camera automatically setting the optimal sensitivity across a range of ISO 64 -800.
- *ISO 3200 is available only for image sizes of 3M (2048 x 1536) or smaller.
Large 2.7-inch LCD monitor for quality viewing and menu operation
Practically defying the COOLPIX S560's compact proportions is a high quality 2.7-inch LCD monitor with improved shooting displays and revised icons. Features include approx. 230k-dots of high resolution, a wide-viewing angle of 160 degrees, and anti-reflection coating for better display in bright situations.
Nikon COOLPIX S560 Other Features
- Three Unique Nikon Image Innovations: Face-priority AF, In-Camera Red-Eye Fix, D-Lighting
- 15 handy scene modes for optimized results in various shooting situations
- Macro shooting from as close as 10 cm (4 in.)
- 5x digital zoom extends compositional freedom
- Active Zoom
- Four movie modes with sound, plus time-lapse movie mode
- Distortion control corrects for barrel distortion
- Time zone function for easy setting of multiple locations
- SDHC card compatibility*
- Approx. 44 MB of internal memory
- USB connectivity
- *Not compatible with Multi Media Card (MMC).
Nikon COOLPIX S560 Specifications
|Effective pixels||10.0 million|
|Image sensor||1/2.33-in. CCD; total pixels: approx. 10.7 million|
|Lens||5x Zoom-NIKKOR; 6.3-31.5mm (35mm  format picture angle: 34.8-174mm); f/3.5-5.6; 8 elements in 6 groups; Digital zoom: up to 4x (35mm  format picture angle: 696mm)|
|Focus range (from lens)||60cm (2 ft.) to infinity (∞); Macro close-up mode: 10cm (4 in.) to infinity (∞)|
|Monitor||2.7-in., approx. 230k-dot, wide-viewing angle TFT LCD with anti-reflection coating|
|Storage media||Internal memory (approx. 44 MB), SD memory cards*1|
|Image size (pixels)||3648 x 2736 (High: 3648/Normal: 3648), 2592 x 1944 (Normal: 2592), 2048 x 1536 (Normal: 2048), 2736 x 2736 (1:1 size: 2736), 1024 x 768 (PC: 1024), 640 x 480 (TV: 640), 3584 x 2016 (16:9)|
|Vibration Reduction (VR)||Image sensor shift VR|
|ISO sensitivity||ISO 64, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 2000, 3200*2, Auto (auto gain ISO 64-800)|
|Power sources||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL11 (supplied), AC Adapter EH-62E (optional)|
|Battery life||Approx. 160 shots with EN-EL11 battery|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||Approx. 93 x 54.5 x 23.5 mm (3.7 x 2.1 x 0.9 in.) excluding projections|
|Weight||Approx. 130 g (4.6 oz.) without battery and SD memory card|
|Supplied accessories*3||Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL11, Battery Charger MH-64, USB Cable UC-E6, Audio Video Cable EG-CP14, Strap AN-CP14, Software Suite CD-ROM|
|Optional accessories||AC Adapter EH-62E|
- *1Not compatible with Multi Media Cards (MMC).
- *2ISO 3200 is available only for image sizes of 3M (2048 x 1536) or smaller.
- *3Supplied accessories may differ by country or area.
|OS||Macintosh: Mac OS X version 10.3.9, 10.4.11, 10.5.2
Windows: Windows Vista (32bit), Windows XP Home Edition/Professional pre-installed models
|Note||CD-ROM drive required for installation. Only built-in USB ports are supported|
- *Microsoft®, Windows® and Windows™ Vista are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Macintosh®, Mac® OS and QuickTime® are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. The SDHC logo is a trademark. PictBridge is a trademark. D-Lighting technology is provided by Apical Limited. The FotoConnect logo is a trademark. The FotoNation logo is a trademark. FSE (Face Sensing Engine) technology is provided by OKI. Products and brand names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
- *Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer. August 2008
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.