AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
August 27, 2008
High-power 5.8x zoom DX-NIKKOR lens with SWM and VR function
TOKYO – Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, a new DX-NIKKOR zoom lens with built-in Silent Wave Motor and Vibration Reduction. This compact and affordable 5.8x zoom NIKKOR lens offers remarkable versatility and covers a broad focal range of 18 to 105mm. When mounted on any DX-format Nikon digital SLR camera, the picture angle is equivalent to that produced by a 27 to 157.5mm focal length lens on a 35mm-format film camera or Nikon FX-format camera.
An ultra-compact Silent Wave Motor (SWM) built into the lens body ensures fast, quiet and accurate autofocus operation and complements the compact design for superb handling. Nikon's VR (Vibration Reduction) function, specifically engineered for each NIKKOR lens, gives photographers the ability to shoot handheld at shutter speeds up to three stops* slower than would otherwise be possible, thereby minimizing image blur caused by camera shake and delivering dramatically sharper pictures, especially in low-light conditions such as in interiors and at twilight. The VR function also stabilizes the camera's viewfinder image, making composition easier and more comfortable.
- *As determined in Nikon performance tests
This new high-power zoom lens is the latest addition to the DX-NIKKOR lens lineup, offering photographers a convenient single-lens solution to a broad range of photographic needs, ranging from wide-angle landscapes and interiors to portraiture and medium-range sports. Featuring a newly designed optical system with an ED glass element along with an advanced aspherical lens element, the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR provides excellent image reproduction capability, delivering high-resolution, high-contrast images while minimizing chromatic aberration. The rounded diaphragm opening makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural while Nikon's Super Integrated Coating ensures outstanding color balance and reproduction while greatly reducing ghosting and flare.
- *As determined by Nikon performance tests; shutter speed that causes image blur varies according to each photographer's skill and shooting conditions.
- Note:DX-NIKKOR lenses are engineered and optimized for use on Nikon DX-format and FX-format digital SLR cameras. When mounted on an FX-format digital SLR, the camera's DX-Crop Mode is automatically engaged, altering the image capture area accordingly. DX-NIKKOR lenses are not compatible with 35mm  or IX240 [APS] format film cameras.
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Major Features
- DX-format, high-power 5.8x zoom lens with focal length ranging from 18 to 105mm
- Broad picture angle range approximates the perspective of a 27-157.5mm lens on a 35mm-format film camera or Nikon FX-format digital SLR
- Covers diverse shooting situations from wide-angle landscapes and interiors to portraiture and medium-range sports
- Vibration Reduction assures sharper handheld pictures while shooting at shutter speeds up to three stops slower than would otherwise be possible
- Built-in Silent Wave Motor delivers quiet, swift autofocus with superior accuracy
- High-performance optical system featuring an ED glass element and an aspherical lens element realizes superior image reproduction capability
- The rounded 7-blade diaphragm opening renders out-of-focus elements more naturally
- Leather texture matches Nikon digital SLR's body high-quality exterior design
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Specifications
|Lens construction||15 elements in 11 groups (with one ED glass element and one aspherical lens element)|
|Picture angle||76° - 15°20'|
|Closest focus distance||0.45 m/1.48 ft. (throughout entire zoom range)|
|Maximum reproduction ratio||0.2x (1/5)|
|No. of diaphragm blades||7 (rounded)|
|Filter attachment size||67mm|
|Focusing||Internal autofocus with built-in SWM and manual focus|
|Diameter x length (extension from lens mount)||Approx. 76 x 89 mm/3.0 x 3.5 in.|
|Weight||Approx. 420 g/14.8 oz.|
|Supplied accessories||67mm snap-on front lens cap LC-67, Rear lens cap LF-1, Bayonet hood HB-32, Flexible lens pouch CL-1018|
- *Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer. August 2008
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.