Advanced Camera with Interchangeable Lenses Nikon 1 V3
1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM
March 13, 2014
The world's fastest*1 continuous shooting rate with AF tracking, performance with tracking of moving subjects that exceeds that of digital SLR cameras, and capable of full-scale operation
The first Nikon 1 camera to be equipped with a vari-angle touch screen LCD monitor and Wi-Fi® capability
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of the new Nikon 1 V3, the latest addition to the V series of Nikon 1 advanced cameras with interchangeable lenses that propose new forms of imaging expression. Along with the Nikon 1 V3, Nikon is also releasing the new 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM, a normal zoom lens compatible with the CX format and covering the 10-30mm range of focal lengths. The 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM is the world's lightest*2 interchangeable lens equipped with a power-drive zoom function, and also the world's first*2 interchangeable lens equipped with power-drive zoom to utilize an electrically controlled lens cover.
The compact and lightweight body of the Nikon 1 V3 enables superior mobility, yet offers performance with tracking of moving subject that exceeds that of digital SLR cameras. It is a model that offers excellent image quality with superior sharpness and definition, and an operational feel similar to that of a digital SLR camera.
The superior performance with tracking of moving subjects is made possible with 105 focus points when phase-detection AF is used and 171 focus points when contrast-detect AF is used. 105 densely packed focus points positioned over a broad range of the frame ensure precise acquisition of moving subjects. At approximately 20 fps, the Nikon 1 V3 also boasts the world's fastest*1 high-speed continuous shooting rate with AF tracking, as well as high-speed continuous shooting at up to approximately 60 fps when focus is locked. This, as well as the world's shortest*3 shooting time lag ensures fast and precise focusing on moving subjects. What's more, the Nikon 1 V3 offers an operational system that users of digital SLRs will find familiar. It is also the first Nikon 1 camera to be equipped with a vari-angle LCD monitor that enables flexible shooting from any angle, new intuitive touch-screen control that is easy to use, and built-in Wi-Fi® capability for simple transfer and sharing of high-quality images.
The Nikon 1 V3 is equipped with an 18.4-million pixel super high-speed AF CMOS Sensor with no low-pass filter and the new EXPEED 4A image-processing engine, the combination of which enables superior image quality.
- *1Among digital cameras with interchangeable lenses available as of March 13 , 2014. Statement based on Nikon research.
- *2Among lenses (for digital cameras with interchangeable lenses) equipped with power-drive zoom available as of March 13 , 2014. Statement based on Nikon research.
- *3Among digital cameras with interchangeable lenses available as of March 13, 2014. Tested using the 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30MM F/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM at the maximum wide-angle position in Single-point AF mode. Statement based on Nikon research.
Nikon 1 V3 Primary Features
1. Moving-subject tracking performance superior to that of digital SLR cameras
171 densely packed focus points
Very dense arrangement of 105 focus points with phase-detection AF and 171 focus points with contrast-detect AF ensures precise acquisition of the intended subject with dense coverage of a broad range of the frame.
At approximately 20 fps, the world's fastest* continuous shooting rate with AF tracking
The superior AF tracking performance of the Nikon 1 V3 enables capture of even moving subjects in sharp focus.
When the electronic shutter is used: High-speed continuous shooting at the world's fastest* rate of approximately 20 fps for capture of up to 40 shots in approximately two seconds
When the mechanical shutter is used: High-speed continuous shooting at approximately 6 fps for capture of up to 50 shots in approximately eight seconds
- *Among digital cameras with interchangeable lenses available as of March 13 , 2014. Statement based on Nikon research.
The world's shortest* shooting time lag
The world's shortest* shooting time lag is best demonstrated with 171 focus points, faster focusing achieved through improvements to the AF control sequence, and use with the capless 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM kit lens, equipped with power-drive zoom and with which lens-drive speed has been increased.
- *Among digital cameras with interchangeable lenses available as of March 13 , 2014. Tested using the 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM at the maximum wide-angle position in Single-point AF mode. Statement based on Nikon research.
2. Superior operation and unique shooting functions
Virtual horizon capable of detecting pitch
The Nikon 1 V3 is the first Nikon 1 camera to be equipped with a virtual horizon function that can be displayed in the live view display or viewfinder, and is capable of detecting not only roll (camera tilt to the left or right), but also pitch (camera tilt forward or back), a capability previously limited to high-end digital SLR cameras. This function is very helpful with framing of images of landscapes, architecture, and still objects. What's more, the virtual horizon functions not only with shooting in landscape orientation, but also with shooting in portrait orientation.
When viewing images in the LCD monitor, the Highlights option can be used to check image highlights (areas that may be overexposed). Highlights will flash in the monitor display.
2 command dials
The Nikon 1 V3 is equipped with a main command dial on the back of the camera and a sub-command dial on the front of the camera. This allows users of digital SLR cameras to apply and adjust settings such as shutter speed in a familiar manner.
3 function buttons
Users can assign frequently used settings to two function buttons on the camera and a third on the optional Grip GR-N1010. The role played by each of these function buttons can be selected from seven options: exposure compensation, Picture Control, white balance, AF-area mode, metering, ISO sensitivity, or movie-record button.
Dedicated accessories (optional) for Nikon 1 V3 system expansion
- Electronic Viewfinder DF-N1000
- The 0.48-inch, approximately 2359k-dot color TFT LCD viewfinder with frame coverage of approximately 100% supports diopter control and brightness adjustment. It ensures a broad field of view equal to that of digital SLR cameras, for precise framing with confirmation of the subject to all corners. In addition, adoption of the same rounded eyepiece used with the cameras such as the D4, Df, and D800, the DF-N1000 supports full-scale shooting capabilities.
- Grip GR-N1010
- This optional grip is equipped with an angled shutter-release button that is easy to use, a function button to which a preferred setting can be assigned, and a sub-command dial that can be used to adjust settings. Adoption of a magnesium alloy ensures great strength and durability. The GR-N1010 provides a secure grip on the camera, even when the Mount Adapter FT1 and a NIKKOR lens are used.
3. The first Nikon 1 camera equipped with a vari-angle touch-screen LCD monitor and Wi-Fi® capabilities
Vari-angle touch-screen LCD monitor
The slim LCD monitor, with a depth of approximately 4 mm, is equipped with a tilting mechanism that allows it to be tilted down to approximately 87° for high-angle shooting, and up to approximately 170° for low-angle shooting, allowing users to adjust their angle according to the subject or scene to be captured. In addition to positioning of buttons on the vari-angle monitor for an operational feel similar to that of digital SLR cameras, adoption of a bright and clear, 3-inch, approximately 1037k-dot, electrostatic touch screen enables simple and intuitive shooting operations by allowing users to touch the screen to focus or to select a subject for subject tracking.
Built-in Wi-Fi® allows users to easily transfer high-quality still images recorded with the Nikon 1 V3 to a smart device, from which they can be shared.
4. Equipped with a Super high-speed AF CMOS sensor and offering an effective pixel count of 18.4-million pixels for superior sharpness and definition
Adoption of a new Super high-speed AF CMOS sensor and the new EXPEED 4A image-processing engine enables the capture of images exhibiting excellent definition and very little noise at sensitivities of ISO 160-12800. This makes capturing images with which noise has been effectively suppressed for superior image quality possible, even with shooting in dark or dimly lit surroundings.
In addition, still images with which noise is suppressed and superior image quality is preserved can be captured at high sensitivities using the noise reduction function, with which the camera takes multiple shots that are then combined to create a single image.
Function for recording full-HD 1920 x 1080/60p movies
Full-HD 1920 x 1080/60p movies up to approximately 10 minutes in length can be recorded. As the Nikon 1 V3 is equipped with an electronic vibration reduction (e-VR) function*, the effects of camera shake are reduced with movie recording.
- *Electronic vibration reduction can be enabled with recording of 1080/30p and 720/30p movies.
1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM Primary Features
- A slim 3x normal zoom lens compatible with the CX format and covering the 10-30mm range of focal lengths (angle of view equivalent to 27-81mm in 35-mm  format)
- The world's first*1 interchangeable lens equipped with power-drive zoom to utilize an electrically controlled lens cover, which eliminates the need to attach and remove a lens cap
- Measures approximately 58 mm (maximum diameter) x 28 mm*2 and weighs just 85 g, making it the world's lightest*1 power-drive zoom equipped lens
- Adoption of a retractable lens mechanism that retracts the lens when it is not in use has enabled a slimmer lens that is compact for storage
- Equipped with a vibration reduction (VR) function that provides camera-shake compensation equal to a 4.0-stop*3 increase in shutter speed
- A maximum reproduction ratio of 0.55 x (equivalent in 35  format) and a minimum focus distance of 20 cm enable expression similar to that of a Micro lens for impressive close-ups and beautiful blur characteristics
- Superior rendering performance with no noticeable ghost or flare, even with shooting in backlit situations
- Electric power-drive zoom adopted for smooth and comfortable movie recording
- Equipping the lens with a zoom ring enables familiar interchangeable lens operation, despite the electric power-drive zoom
- The same refined and minimalistic appearance as other 1 NIKKOR lenses; knurling adopted to make the most of the metal texture
- *1Among lenses (for digital cameras with interchangeable lenses) equipped with power-drive zoom available as of March 13, 2014. Statement based on Nikon research.
- *2Distance from the camera's lens-mount flange when the lens is retracted
- *3Measured in accordance with CIPA standards. When a CX-format digital camera is used; measured with the zoom lens at the maximum telephoto position.
- *Products, brand names and service names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
- *Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacture.
For more information
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.