Digital Compact Camera Nikon COOLPIX P900
March 2, 2015
Excellent image quality with ultra high-power zoom capability that covers up to 2000 mm*1
Superior telephoto shooting performance with 83x optical zoom
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of the COOLPIX P900 as the top-of-the-line model in the high-performance COOLPIX P series of multi-functional compact digital cameras that support full-scale photography.
The COOLPIX P900 is equipped with an 83x optical zoom lens that supports super-telephoto shooting at the equivalent of up to 2000 mm*1 (up to 166x*2 when Dynamic Fine Zoom is used). The camera defies conventional thinking regarding super-telephoto photography with adoption of a Super ED lens element in a lens that maintains a fast maximum aperture of f/6.5 at the maximum telephoto position, dynamically achieving superior image quality with super-telephoto shooting.
It also offers excellent basic performance with features that include Dual Detect Optical VR, which supports camera shake compensation equivalent to a 5.0-stop*3 increase in shutter speed, and a shooting time lag of approximately 0.12 s*4. The P900 is also equipped with a variety of features that make photography more fun, including an electronic viewfinder with built-in eye sensor, GPS/GLONASS/QZSS support that enables recording of location data with images, and support for NFC, which easily enables Wi-Fi® connection to a smart device*5.
- *1Equivalent focal length in 35mm  format.
- *2At the maximum image size.
- *3Measured in accordance with CIPA standards at approx. 350mm (equivalent focal length in 35mm  format).
- *4Measured in accordance with CIPA standards at maximum wide-angle position, subject brightness measuring 10 LV, programmed auto exposure, Single AF autofocus mode.
- *5Android™ 4.0 and later. Still images only.
The Wireless Mobile Utility app must first be installed on the smart device (the app can be downloaded free of charge from the smart device's app store).
COOLPIX P900 Primary Features
1. A high-performance 83x optical zoom NIKKOR lens that supports super-telephoto shooting at the equivalent of up to 2000 mm (equivalent focal length in 35mm  format; up to 166x* with Dynamic Fine Zoom)
The P900 is equipped with an ultra high-power 83x optical zoom NIKKOR lens that covers the wide-angle 24 mm to super-telephoto 2000 mm angles of view (equivalent focal lengths in 35mm  format). The optics built into the lens include a Super ED (Extra-low Dispersion) lens element that enables superior compensation for chromatic aberration. It also maintains a fast maximum aperture of f/6.5 at the maximum telephoto position for sharp and clear images, even with super-telephoto shooting. In addition, it is equipped with Dynamic Fine Zoom, which enables 166x* zoom with which resolution is preserved throughout the digital zoom range, and it also supports macro photography of subjects as close as 1 cm to the lens. The P900 supports capture of images exhibiting superior image quality not only when the subject is very far away, but also when it is right in front of the camera. The P900 also offers Moon and Bird-watching scene modes effective with super-telephoto photography. Use of these scene modes allows users to leave all of the work up to the camera when capturing such subjects, with which exposure settings can be difficult to choose and apply, for simple super-telephoto photography.
- *At the maximum image size.
2. Dual Detect Optical VR that provides compensation for camera shake equivalent to a 5.0-stop* increase in shutter speed
With adoption of the new Dual Detect Optical VR, the P900 achieves the highest level of camera shake compensation, equivalent to a 5.0-stop* increase in shutter speed, available with a Nikon compact digital camera. This function calculates the amount of camera shake with even greater precision with a new VR algorithm that uses two types of information with calculation—camera shake information detected by the angular velocity sensor, and information regarding the direction and amount of camera shake (motion vector) calculated based on image information. This significantly increases the accuracy of camera shake compensation.
- *Measured in accordance with CIPA standards at approx. 350mm (equivalent focal length in 35mm  format).
3. A shooting time lag that ensures certain capture of any photo opportunity
Users of the P900 can rest assured that they won't miss another photo opportunity with a shooting time lag of approximately 0.12 s* at the maximum wide-angle position and approximately 0.75 s* at the maximum telephoto position.
- *Measured in accordance with CIPA standards, subject brightness measuring 10 LV, programmed auto exposure, Single AF autofocus mode.
4. An electronic viewfinder with eye sensor that automatically changes the shooting method in accordance with conditions
The P900 is equipped with a 0.2-in., approximately 921k-dot electronic viewfinder with frame coverage of approximately 100%. Adoption of an eye sensor enables automatic switching from monitor framing to framing using the electronic viewfinder by simply bringing the camera up to the eye. The shooting (framing) method can also be changed manually by pressing the camera's monitor button.
5. 3-in., approximately 921k-dot vari-angle TFT LCD monitor that supports imaging expression from a variety of angles
The P900 is equipped with a 3-inch vari-angle TFT LCD monitor with wide viewing angle. The sharp and clear LCD monitor consumes very little power, and is equipped with an anti-reflection coating and
5-level 6-level ("5-level" has been changed to "6-level". April 28, 2021.) brightness adjustment function for superior visibility while framing or playing back images, or viewing camera menus, even when out-of-doors on bright, sunny days.
6. A more accurate GPS function that enables recording of location data with shooting
GPS, GLONASS, QZSS support
In addition to GPS (with A-GPS*) and Global Navigation Satellite System (GLONASS) support, the P900 also supports the Quasi-Zenith Satellite System (QZSS). This enables faster and more accurate recording of shooting location data (latitude and longitude) with images, even in places where positioning was previously difficult, such as between buildings. In addition, support for A-GPS* files enables immediate GPS positioning as soon as the camera is turned on.
- *A function that calculates GPS signal acquired by the camera and data (EE data: Extended Ephemeris data) that predicts GPS satellite location for faster positioning.
GPS that supports display of points of interest (POI)*
The P900 supports display of points of interest (POI)* for adding the names of places where photos are taken to images captured with the camera. In addition, shooting location data acquired with the high-performance GPS/GLONASS/QZSS function
, along with the direction in which the camera is pointed recorded using the built-in electronic compass, can also be recorded with images and displayed on a world map* in the camera monitor (These sections have been deleted. April 28, 2021.).
Map andPoint of interest (POI) information current as of April 2014. ("Map and" has been deleted. April 28, 2021.)
When the log function is enabled, the route of movement is recorded even when the camera is not in use or is turned off. This function is convenient for recording a log of movement while climbing mountains or on vacation.
7. NFC support for simple Wi-Fi® connection to a smart device*
The P900 is equipped with an NFC function that makes connecting to a smart device via Wi-Fi® easy by simply touching the camera to the smart device. This allows users to immediately transfer images they have just captured to a smart device from which they can be posted to SNSs for sharing with family and friends, even when away from home. In addition, the camera's Wi-Fi® button makes Wi-Fi® connection even easier when smart devices not equipped with NFC are used. Smart devices can also be used to take pictures remotely, zoom in or out, and enable the self-timer, capabilities that are convenient when taking group photos in which the user is included.
- *The Wireless Mobile Utility app must first be installed on the smart device (the app can be downloaded free of charge from the smart device's app store).
- *Supported only by devices running Android™ 4.0 or later.
8. Superior operation that supports comfortable shooting
- A Snap-back Zoom button that makes framing subjects easier by temporarily expanding the angle of view when a subject is lost with super-telephoto shooting
- A Side Zoom Control that significantly reduces camera shake with zoom operations
- An Fn (function) button to which frequently used functions can be assigned
- A Command Dial and Mode Dial that can be used to quickly apply or adjust settings with just one hand
- Manual (spot), Manual (normal), and Manual (wide) AF Area Mode options that can be selected in accordance with the size and position of the primary subject
- A Zoom Microphone function that is linked to optical zoom operation with movie recording, enabling clear recording of sounds over a wide area at wide-angle zoom positions, or over a limited area at telephoto zoom positions
9. Additional Features
- Four exposure modes—P, S, A, M—for more flexible and enjoyable photographic expression
- A Peaking function that supports more precise focusing when MF (manual focus) is used
- COOLPIX Picture Control, which can be used to adjust aspects such as the vividness of colors, the level of contrast, or the degree of sharpening applied to images prior to shooting
- Recording of smooth 1920 x 1080/60p movies with stereo sound
- A Time-lapse Movie function that records changes in landscapes that occur over time as movie approximately 10 s in length
- An elegant body with a precision design that makes the world of super-telephoto photography more familiar
- High-speed continuous shooting* of up to approximately 7 shots at approximately 7 fps at an Image Quality setting of Normal
- *At a setting of Continuous H; with Image Quality set to Normal and Image Size set to 16M (4608x3456).
- *Trade names (companies, products, services, etc.) are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
- *Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacture.
- *Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacture.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.