Nikon releases the AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR, a telephoto zoom lens compatible with the Nikon FX format
July 11, 2017
Superior agility that expands the possibilities for telephoto photography
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of the AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR, a telephoto zoom lens compatible with Nikon FX-format digital SLR cameras.
The AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR is an approximately 4.3x telephoto zoom lens that covers a broad range of focal lengths — up to 300mm. Adoption of a stepping motor ensures fast, quiet, and smooth AF drive, especially beneficial when used for movie recordings.
The lens is also equipped with a vibration reduction (VR) function that provides a level of compensation equivalent to a 4.5-stop* increase in shutter speed. In addition, the SPORT mode normally reserved for super-telephoto lenses has also been built into the VR function. This helps to stabilize the image displayed in the viewfinder, making it easy for photographers to compose their shots as intended, even when photographing scenes such as sporting events in which the subject moves quickly and erratically.
Despite the fact that the AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR is a telephoto zoom lens that covers a broad range of focal lengths up to 300mm, its lightweight design ensures a weight of approximately 680 g (measured in accordance with CIPA standards) that gives it superior portability, and enables nimble, hand-held telephoto photography. Resistance to dust and drips was taken into consideration with the design of this lens, as was the user's comfort and ease of use when a smooth operational feel was achieved for the focus and zoom rings.
When used with a DX-format camera, the AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR supports a maximum focal length equivalent to 450mm in 35mm  format, making it easy to utilize the agility of the DX-format to enjoy telephoto photography.
The AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR will satisfy the shooting intent of a broad range of users of both FX- and DX-format cameras looking to enjoy effortless and comfortable telephoto photography with superior image quality, performance, and agility.
- Support for the 70-300mm range of focal lengths, which allows users to enjoy high-magnification telephoto photography
- Stepping motor adopted for AF drive operation for fast, quiet, and smooth autofocusing
- NORMAL and SPORT modes built into the VR mechanism that offers vibration compensation effect equivalent to a 4.5-stop* increase in shutter speed
- Designed with consideration of dust and drip resistance
- ED glass element adopted to suppress chromatic aberration for superior optical performance
- Focus and zoom rings that rotate smoothly for a comfortable operational feel
- A minimum focus distance of 1.2 m and a maximum reproduction ratio of 0.25x make shooting at close distances possible
- Electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism adopted for extremely precise aperture control
- *Based on CIPA standards. In NORMAL VR mode. When a digital SLR camera equipped with a full-size, 35mm film equivalent image sensor is used. Measured at the maximum telephoto position.
- *Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.